Do YOU personally eat back your workout calories?

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    bex0r2016 wrote: »
    Nope. And it's not a good idea to do so, especially when you're trying to maintain a smaller deifict or are closer to GW. the reason being that at 2 to 400 calorie deficit can be wiped out by just one or two mistracked or misweighed meals. Also provided that most fitness trackers are up to 20% inaccurate, it's just not worth it in my opinion.
    MFP is designed for your to eat back at least some of your exercise calories - some recommend starting with 50% and adjusting based on your weight trend compared to your set goals. I eat back 100% and have not seen any ill effect on my weight loss efforts, even at .5lb/week. Ignoring them completely can lead to underfueling and undernourishing your body long term - fatigue, muscle loss, hair loss, and other nasty effects in time, especially if someone is already at a steeper deficit. And some people have higher calorie burns - on a Sprint triathlon day I will hit around 1000 burned. To ignore that would not be good for my body in the long run (and short term I would by tired, hungry, and grouchy!)

I usually just assume the people giving the advice not to eat them don't actually get what you and I would consider exercise (or else they'll have bonked bad and learned their lesson). ("Exercise" means different things to different people.. those meandering further around the supermarket aisles with a Fitbit can probably safely ignore them).

My answer to the original question: F* yes. I eat them. (I'll deduct some if I was in a paceline, add some for a trail/off- trail run).

In addition to the athlete side, I think a lot of the people who don’t lose/gain when they eat them may be eyeballing portions or using measuring cups (eg-eating much more than they think) and are probably eating their exercise calories already because their intake is more than what they are logging.

yes- that too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    bex0r2016 wrote: »
    Nope. And it's not a good idea to do so, especially when you're trying to maintain a smaller deifict or are closer to GW. the reason being that at 2 to 400 calorie deficit can be wiped out by just one or two mistracked or misweighed meals. Also provided that most fitness trackers are up to 20% inaccurate, it's just not worth it in my opinion.
    MFP is designed for your to eat back at least some of your exercise calories - some recommend starting with 50% and adjusting based on your weight trend compared to your set goals. I eat back 100% and have not seen any ill effect on my weight loss efforts, even at .5lb/week. Ignoring them completely can lead to underfueling and undernourishing your body long term - fatigue, muscle loss, hair loss, and other nasty effects in time, especially if someone is already at a steeper deficit. And some people have higher calorie burns - on a Sprint triathlon day I will hit around 1000 burned. To ignore that would not be good for my body in the long run (and short term I would by tired, hungry, and grouchy!)

I usually just assume the people giving the advice not to eat them don't actually get what you and I would consider exercise (or else they'll have bonked bad and learned their lesson). ("Exercise" means different things to different people.. those meandering further around the supermarket aisles with a Fitbit can probably safely ignore them).

My answer to the original question: F* yes. I eat them. (I'll deduct some if I was in a paceline, add some for a trail/off- trail run).

In addition to the athlete side, I think a lot of the people who don’t lose/gain when they eat them may be eyeballing portions or using measuring cups (eg-eating much more than they think) and are probably eating their exercise calories already because their intake is more than what they are logging.

But I think the overall thrust of your post is potentially exactly what the "create a buffer" people mean and intend, whether they've thought it all the way through in detail or not. (I'm not ignoring the bolded, by the way; just going on with commenting.) There's a choice between precision, and approximation. So, one choice-set is log approximately, don't eat back the exercise. (Some don't realize how very approximate their logging is, I know. :lol: ).

Personally, I prefer more precision, because it's so easy (and has side benefits like sound(er) nutritional data; and ability to estimate one's own maintenance calories accurately, potentially even in varying conditions).

BTW: Not disputing the point about endurance athletes. Gotta fuel higher activity levels (regardless whether exercise, job, or anything else), or the piper will eventually need to be paid.

I'd add that when losing weight, it doesn't take an elite level of exercise activity on top of a fairly aggressive deficit (high-ish target loss rate) to create a potential problem over the period of time most meaningful weight loss efforts are going to take.

Edited: clarification
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't log calories so no. If I'm concerned about body weight, I eye ball my weight trends and adjust intake in general.
  • gazbooker1
    gazbooker1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds like an excuse but I try not to eat all the calories but sometimes with all that is going on I find myself compensating with food. I do meditation and my runs really help as well but sometimes it is difficult.
  • Jumpropegirl5467
    Jumpropegirl5467 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I personally don’t but that’s so I don’t go crazy seeing how many calories have freed up.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My fitness watch automatically adjusts my calorie goal to lose 1 lb a week, and I pretty much always aim for that. So long answer short, yes.
  • johnbhusted
    johnbhusted Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I personally don't, but probably will start when I hit my goal (down 37 [33 before using MFP], 3 to go).

What I'm doing is working for me.
  • gripdxd
    gripdxd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah, but I like to try and leave a little in the green.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty much all of them - I’m not militant about specifically eating back “400 exercise calories” but I eat up to the calorie level MFP gives me with exercise, or typically just below. A 5k run only burns approx 350 calories for me so I’d typically add in 30g of macadamia nuts or something - it’s really not a large amount but it makes a difference to energy levels and endurance for me.

I run 40km a week. So, if I didn’t eat those calories back I would be paying the piper pretty quickly. I need the calories to fuel my running, and I don’t see any need to apologetic about that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Exercise calories are the best tasting calories.

They SO are. (They are also often ice cream cones in the last few miles of a ride and a post-ride hard cider and ...)

ETA: It's entirely possible I've become the pre-eminent authority on ice cream shop locations and weeknight closing hours in a large radius around my metro area while creating cycling routes. (Note: It only takes ~10 miles to burn a baby cone =) )

I don't think anything tastes better than that post-run cider/beer, it's just scientific fact.
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No, I don't.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Some of them. Sometimes only a tiny bit, sometimes nearly all of them. - It depends on a lot of factors (how hungry I am, how much exercise I did, what food I am having...)
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but probably not all of them. If I do anything over 90 minutes definitely need to replenish glycogen