Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    How much cardio do yall do when you're cutting and in what form? I dragged my stairclimber in and I'm spent in 10 minutes. lol

15m x 5 days/week of HIIT...

And I never thought I'd say that lol... I was a runner until my knees just couldn't do it anymore
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How much cardio do yall do when you're cutting and in what form? I dragged my stairclimber in and I'm spent in 10 minutes. lol

And I never thought I'd say that lol... I was a runner until my knees just couldn't do it anymore

Eeee how do you lift with all that!?? :o
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Eeee how do you lift with all that!?? :o

Its just 15min per day, 5x/week... On that bowflex max Trainer thingy... I shoot for about 300 calories or so on it...

I usually lift for 30-45min, then I jump right on the machine, then race off to work 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member

Before the gyms shut I was doing a couple of spin classes a week and an hour or so of dance. Usually after lifting. No hit because I hate it. Now I’m mainly walking.
  • KayakerJoe
    KayakerJoe Posts: 80 Member
    I’m trying to cut but it’s taking time!

I Bulked to 205 (I’m 185 tall) and down to 195, so a loss of 10 pounds over 8 weeks.

That seem right?

404020 1800cals a day workout 4 days (weights) and do some kayaking 2/3 days a week.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    For me... 2 sessions jump rope or 3 sessions swimming per week. Jump rope is way more intense. Try to walk daily.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited June 2020
    Does mowing the yard once a week count?

Edit for a rebrand: wheeled sled push, variable terrain
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2020
    California, San Mateo county just got certified to move into phase 3!

My gym should open soon. I’m scared to see how far I’ve slid... but excited to get back into it. :smile:
  • steveko89
    June has been pretty decent, down 2lbs on average weight and down to 11.7% BF via Skulpt yesterday morning (11.9 on 6/1).

lborruzaqdzt.png
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Did anyone else lose Muscle Mass since the quarantine? I lost 5.9 lbs. My gym just opened this week. It was shocking to see and I know I can get it back but it sucks to lose it after all the hard work I put in!! :/
  • steveko89
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Did anyone else lose Muscle Mass since the quarantine? I lost 5.9 lbs. My gym just opened this week. It was shocking to see and I know I can get it back but it sucks to lose it after all the hard work I put in!! :/

Lost muscle is more easily regained than built initially. Depending on methodology, take body fat assessment with a grain of salt. Some devices used by gyms are dubious at best.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

Lost muscle is more easily regained than built initially. Depending on methodology, take body fat assessment with a grain of salt. Some devices used by gyms are dubious at best.

I agree with @steveko89. My first thought was "I bet you haven't lost that much," @dbanks80. How did they measure your muscle mass?
  • dbanks80
    edited July 2020

I agree with @steveko89. My first thought was "I bet you haven't lost that much," @dbanks80. How did they measure your muscle mass?

On that In-Body Analysis machine. Like my BF went up and MM went down.

Which is interesting because when I lift I still have the strength. Granted my muscles are SORE as HECK!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited July 2020
    I've never used one of those. I went looking for reviews (outside of the inbody website) and found this. It looks like your 5.9% is well within the possible statistical anomaly. You could have actually also gained up to 2.1% muscle mass because of the error rate swing.

kiqxuhv1q4sr.jpg
  • steveko89

On that In-Body Analysis machine. Like my BF went up and MM went down.

Which is interesting because when I lift I still have the strength. Granted my muscles are SORE as HECK!

Inbody-style scanners are subject to wide variation due to hydration and other factors. If my understanding of the technology is correct it will attribute retained glycogen as muscle mass due to conductivity. If you've not lost any strength I would doubt you've actually lost that much muscle and being down on glycogen from not lifting (probably 2-3 lbs based on my experience) would display as lost muscle via standard BIA scanners.
  • dbanks80
    I've never used one of those. I went looking for reviews (outside of the inbody website) and found this. It looks like your 5.9% is well within the possible statistical anomaly. You could have actually also gained up to 2.1% muscle mass because of the error rate swing.

kiqxuhv1q4sr.jpg

Ok thanks for this info!! I was way up on water retention!!! And my trainer did say water retention plays a part!!

Thanks to you as well @steveko89! This is all great information!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Just an update. I am have been consistently up 3-4 lbs lately. I think its injury related as mu back has been giving me issues. But i still look as lean as i did when i was at 164.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am feeling le lost as usual. This sometimes happens after I have been doing the same thing for a while. But I am not too happy with my body composition so something has to change. Recomp is working, that is for sure. My waist is smaller, tighter, loose skin is getting better. However not happy with my lower half. Arg. I am going to take a break then switch programming. I might do a small cut (which I would never recommend to someone with my stats but in my case with my goals and experience I feel like I know how to handle it). I don't even know if I want to bulk in the fall... I will have to see what I am working with then decide. Maybe I will change my mind again.

I hate not having clear goals. I am all over the place. :(
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    @sardelsa maybe a performance goal or fitness skill instead of body shaping?