Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    @sardelsa maybe a performance goal or fitness skill instead of body shaping?

@KHMcG while I don't think I could ever switch focus entirely, I was thinking of getting back into yoga. I am going to see what I can do and maybe I can redirect for a while. Thanks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am feeling le lost as usual. This sometimes happens after I have been doing the same thing for a while. But I am not too happy with my body composition so something has to change. Recomp is working, that is for sure. My waist is smaller, tighter, loose skin is getting better. However not happy with my lower half. Arg. I am going to take a break then switch programming. I might do a small cut (which I would never recommend to someone with my stats but in my case with my goals and experience I feel like I know how to handle it). I don't even know if I want to bulk in the fall... I will have to see what I am working with then decide. Maybe I will change my mind again.

I hate not having clear goals. I am all over the place. :(

I feel you on that. I feel like I am spinning my wheels. The crap part is, I was hoping to hit my goals by my birthday in a few weeks, but that isn't going to happen.

I am on a two day refeed to see if that helps with my injuries. I am also going to need to increase some core work and flexibility training as it seemed to be the only thing that helped my injuries.
  • sardelsa
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am feeling le lost as usual. This sometimes happens after I have been doing the same thing for a while. But I am not too happy with my body composition so something has to change. Recomp is working, that is for sure. My waist is smaller, tighter, loose skin is getting better. However not happy with my lower half. Arg. I am going to take a break then switch programming. I might do a small cut (which I would never recommend to someone with my stats but in my case with my goals and experience I feel like I know how to handle it). I don't even know if I want to bulk in the fall... I will have to see what I am working with then decide. Maybe I will change my mind again.

I feel you on that. I feel like I am spinning my wheels. The crap part is, I was hoping to hit my goals by my birthday in a few weeks, but that isn't going to happen.

I am on a two day refeed to see if that helps with my injuries. I am also going to need to increase some core work and flexibility training as it seemed to be the only thing that helped my injuries.

Oh no re: the injuries, hopefully you recover soon!
  • psuLemon

Thanks. It's my back again. I need to go to an orthopedic.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member

I feel like I've been all over the place for the last year! I hope you give yourself some love and know that it's ok to not know exactly where to go next. Just keep moving!
  • StargazerB

Thanks. It's my back again. I need to go to an orthopedic.

I feel you, I have recurring back issues. I went to an identified orthopedic doctor last week and started physical therapy this week. Hopefully it will help. I hope your back feels better soon.
  • sardelsa
    StargazerB wrote: »

I feel like I've been all over the place for the last year! I hope you give yourself some love and know that it's ok to not know exactly where to go next. Just keep moving!

Thank you! Same to you 😊
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I hope everyone dealing with injuries recovers quickly. I've been having a very minor issue with my left shoulder/pec that's exacerbated most by yawning of all things. I've been able to lift pain-free but I've backed off on weight as a precaution, keeping everything in the 8-12 rep range instead of the low rep/middle rep/ hypertrophy rep splits I had been doing.

I purchased a Kabuki Strength Shoulderok a while ago and it finally arrived yesterday. It's a long loadable mace intended to improve shoulder strength and mobility. I had time to do a little with it this morning and it's definitely going to have a steeper learning curve than I would've thought but I'm excited to get going with using it.

The Mrs. is going to get back to lifting after having stopped a few months ago. She's wanting something a little more aesthetics-driven so I'll basically have her do StrongCurves modded for our equipment.

Much like Psulemon, I've bounced around for the last two weeks but stayed right around 173 on average and hit 172.0 this morning and I feel leaning than I have in a while.

• psuLemon
    It was Dr. Atiga that suggested carbs are like rocket fuel. I am going to agree. After 750g the past two days, my gym session was great today. Some soreness going away, so maybe the extra carbs and flexibility training is helping.
  • steveko89
    It was Dr. Atiga that suggested carbs are like rocket fuel. I am going to agree. After 750g the past two days, my gym session was great today. Some soreness going away, so maybe the extra carbs and flexibility training is helping.

Is that 750g/day or total over those two days?
  • psuLemon
    steveko89 wrote: »

Two days. I generally aim for 400g and around 150-170g protein on my refeed days
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member

Two days. I generally aim for 400g and around 150-170g protein on my refeed days

I’ve always found training in keto utter misery
    Compared to fully carbed up
  • sardelsa

Yay for all the carbs! Is this going to be a regular thing or are you still rocking the keto?

I think I have figured things out. I have been taking an entire WEEK off lifting (omg I am going crazy) but it is very helpful for me. Starting fresh on Monday... a bit of lifting, yoga, sticking with recomp or a slight deficit...hopefully it works!
  • steveko89

Yay for all the carbs! Is this going to be a regular thing or are you still rocking the keto?

I think I have figured things out. I have been taking an entire WEEK off lifting (omg I am going crazy) but it is very helpful for me. Starting fresh on Monday... a bit of lifting, yoga, sticking with recomp or a slight deficit...hopefully it works!

Idk I could fathom taking a whole week at this point of my degenerate addiction. That week I had to travel for work I could only do bodyweight stuff in my hotel room but made sure I was up early enough to lift before my flight on Monday and luckily came back Thursday night so I could lift on Friday too.
  • sardelsa

Idk I could fathom taking a whole week at this point of my degenerate addiction. That week I had to travel for work I could only do bodyweight stuff in my hotel room but made sure I was up early enough to lift before my flight on Monday and luckily came back Thursday night so I could lift on Friday too.

I know I feel so guilty but honestly, I need it. I have been working hard since 6 weeks post-partum or so, I need to regroup and go into my new goals with a clear slate. As long as I don't lose my glutes I am good haha. I am going to lose strength though, especially since I won't be squating or deadlifting (at least traditionally) for a while according to this program. We will see how it goes!
  • StargazerB

I know I feel so guilty but honestly, I need it. I have been working hard since 6 weeks post-partum or so, I need to regroup and go into my new goals with a clear slate. As long as I don't lose my glutes I am good haha. I am going to lose strength though, especially since I won't be squating or deadlifting (at least traditionally) for a while according to this program. We will see how it goes!

What program are you going to do?
  • psuLemon

I am running a cyclical ketogenic diet where i will do carbs every 2-3 weeks. While training does suffer a little, i just don't seem to lose while i am not keto.
  • psuLemon
    watts6151 wrote: »

I’ve always found training in keto utter misery
    Compared to fully carbed up

Yea, lifts are way better with carbs but my fat loss just isn't there and that is my primary focus. Damn me for having a goal of abs.
  • sardelsa

I am running a cyclical ketogenic diet where i will do carbs every 2-3 weeks. While training does suffer a little, i just don't seem to lose while i am not keto.

Oh that's not too bad. Sometimes you have to do what you gotta do! I could never give up my carbs :)
  • sardelsa
    StargazerB wrote: »

What program are you going to do?

It's another Bret program (wow big surprise right??? :D) I don't know if it has a specific name but it's all about growing glutes without growing legs. My quads are taking over my body lol so I am going to try this to help calm them down. The program involves very limited hip thrusts (due to quad involvement), no squats of any kind, no lunges, no step ups, no regular deadlifts (I think there are some glute focused RDLs programmed in there). It is mostly glute bridges and other accessories. It is kind of scary but I am curious to give it a try.