Doing Everything Right (or so I think) But No Weight Loss?

Options
Hello there MFP Community! I saw other posts similar to mine, so I'll put it here. It's kind of long to explain everything but:
TLDR; I'm an 18-year-old, 5'6", 121lb Asian female in a calorie deficit, (seemingly) doing everything right, but I can't lose weight. I am losing weight because the WHO says I'm abdominally obese (and don't want to feel the fat girl at college embarrassment). I have also done some research to ensure I'm doing it healthily.

So, I'll start with this: I am an 18 year old, 5'6", ~121lb Asian female from the US. Yes, I am technically classified as "healthy weight" by the BMI, and my body measures 33 (over breasts), 27 (smallest part of the waist), 31 (at bellybutton), 35 (hips over butt). According to the WHO, "Abdominal obesity is further defined as waist–hip ratio above 0.90 for males and above 0.85 for females" (page 27). My ratio is 0.885.

I have been losing weight but ever since June 2, I haven't been able to lose any. I've been stuck at 121lbs. I had been consistently losing more than one pound but less than two pounds per week (it fluctuated; I even lost 2.5 in one week once) but then dropped to one pound the week of May 26-June 2. Ever since June 2, I have been stuck at 121 and still am today. I do know weight fluctuates throughout the day, so I tried to weigh myself in the afternoons a few hours after lunch (since I live with my parents and don't want to get judged). I also make sure to weigh myself only once per week and when I can, on the same day. I also use the bathroom right before I weigh myself.

I will admit that I have cheated slightly and moved it to before lunch (accounting for some of the bigger drops) but I'm measuring it a few hours after breakfast but before and have been since the 122 number. I eat the same meal for breakfast each day, and ever since June 1, have been eating ~1200 calories per day (counted by MFP). Before my 1200/day diet, when I was losing weight, I was doing between 1250-1350 per day. I've theorized that 1200 is too little to lose weight, but several sources I've found out say that in any sort of calorie deficit, you're losing weight. (Side note: my mile time is still relatively the same, so I don't think I've lost any muscle despite not running as much.)

According to several different calculators, my BMR as a sedentary person is around 1600 calories. I am not fully sedentary (but I marked so on MFP); I do exercise; each day I close my Apple Watch rings (my Move one is set at 350 calories, but I frequently exceed it). I try to run once per week, but if I can't, I'll do a HIIT like Chloe Ting or MadFit. If I don't feel like HIIT, I'll walk 1.75 miles on my hilly driveway. I am aware that the AW will overestimate calories and devised the formula:

(1200-100) + (.5* Apple Watch calories) = # of calories I can eat per day maintaining a 500 cal (1lb/wk) deficit. I always ensure that I eat 1200, even if this number comes up short of 1200. (Why .5? Because I decided to assume that the watch thinks one real calorie burned is two.)

I've also done my research on things that prevent loss. For example: stress and sleep. I'm not stressed (I know what major I am and can't wait to move out) and I'm sleeping 7.5+ hours each night. I make sure my macronutrients are in an acceptable range each day, and have not gave up any foods/food groups entirely. I drink 96 oz of water (6lbs!) per day.

Wow. Long post finally over. So my question remains: Why am I not losing weight? Every bit of research I can find seems to say I'm doing everything right... but here I am, still looking pregnant from the side. (Also, I'm 100% sure I'm not pregnant since I haven't been in the presence of a man for months.)

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are veering close to underweight. Why?

I need to lose weight around my midsection because I'm classified as abdominally obese according to the WHO.

My BMI is 19.8 and I am in the 33rd percentile. By BMI, I would be classified as "underweight" if I was 107 pounds (so I'm actually still pretty far off)
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    You need a recomposition of your body composition (muscle vs fat). You need to lift heavy weights and eat at maintenance, you do not need to lose pounds. That is the only way you will get the waist-hip ratio you desire and maintain your own health in the process.

I can't exactly tell what my fat % is on my body, but I have slight abs- before breakfast in the mirror I can see the "11 line" like Chloe Ting has here (but not as defined).

I am eating enough protein each day as defined in the acceptable macronutrient ratio listed above and do multiple times a week (HIIT/runs). And I've been logging stuff in MFP consistently since May 6.
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    Next time I end up at the doctor's, I'll definitely ask about my midsection. If you put my measurements into the female body visualizer here (use 28 for waist and 1 hr of exercise) then you get a decently accurate result.

I will add that I started officially losing weight (when at 136-140ish) in January, but I started *really* counting on April 6 when I weighed 129.2 at 9:30 PM, so it's been 2 months.

How do I "lift" when I have no access to a gym and/or weights? I literally have never been able to do a push-up (but can somehow hold a 1 minute high plank? I know it makes no sense). I played soccer for 3 years, and still couldn't do one after conditioning. As I said, I have a slight "11 line" tone definition since I do 30 sit ups, 20 leg lifts and a 1-minute plank for six days of the week.

I don't really want to eat all 1,600 calories and end up gaining some of these hard-lost pounds back. Especially in the 6-8 weeks leading up to college... all of my friends are skinny lol. They also apparently don't have uteruses since they have truly flat stomachs. (I've seen their bodies in live videos, and none of them are film majors, so the chances that they're actively editing their bodies are extremely slim.)
    yirara wrote: »
    So you have visible abs before breakfast and then not anymore? When you did take the measurements? Before breakfast or after? It's possible that you just experience bloating. Plus of course once you eat there's food in your stomach, which of course still sits there for a while.

And I measured my waist in the morning. I went to the bathroom, went back to my room, and then measured so I wasn't bloated from breakfast.
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - thank you for the link! I'll try some of those; I'm doing squats, lunges, and abs like most of them suggest.
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    You don’t need to lose weight. Don’t focus on that one metric. Your waist to hip ratio may never be low enough because you have small hips. I’m the same way.

Also, at your weight, your BMR is likely closer to 1200, not 1600. 1600 may be your TDEE.
    I do need to lose weight so I can look good for college and I don't want to be obese on any measurement. I'm too scared to post a picture, but I look actually pregnant from the side because I have small boobs, and that is not a look I need for college. I'm literally the only chubby Asian I've ever seen.
    But you are right; my BMR is actually hovering around 1400, not 1600- must've been an old number that I forgot to recalculate with the 121. Whoops. Plus, I'm still 14 pounds away from a BMI of "underweight" so it's not like I'm that close. I can lose a few pounds (my goal is 115).

For now, how do I hide this disgusting belly fat, since I do know diet/exercise takes a long while? I have to be prepared to go shopping in August with it still being there and get clothes that will hide it for me.
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    I also understand that it's probably not practical with a BMR of 1400 to try and lose a pound a week; that's +300 cals of exercise per day while eating the minimum 1200 calories to survive. (I am also trying upping the intake to 1300ish when I *was* losing weight. My side theory is that starvation mode kicked in here.)

So I've changed MFP to lose .5lb/week, where it tells me to eat 1410 calories per day.
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Starvation mode is a myth. (cut)

What do you mean?

Also, according to the CDC's BMI Calculator for Child and Teen (up to 19 years old; the adult one starts at 20, idk why), 107 is the minimum "healthy weight" so 107 is the correct end.