It’s not just about calories

Replies

• lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You say nothing about your activity.

Activity was the same throughout. If anything I am training a little less now.

Those above who want to throw the science card out there or even suggest I just ate crap and didn’t log correctly. That isn’t the case. I logged correctly, I have cut and bulked many times. I weigh my food. I scan everything and double check. I food prep and have go to meals that I make regularly and have done for years.

I drink on weekends. Always have and still lost 1lbs a week but for some reason having one drink a night stalled my fat loss.

I’m not trying to say that calories aren’t the most important because I agree they are. But I’m saying, from my experience, what I eat and drink makes a difference at how fast I lose body fat.

And the guy above talking about alcohol being a 4th macro is talking nonsense. It’s essentially carbs that’s it. You can’t have alcohol without sugar. It’s empty because it doesn’t do anything for your body other than create An inflammatory Response.

Also when I said my macros were the same I mean in rough terms as in I kept my carbs below 150grams ate high protein and the rest are fats. But if we are saying that calories in vs calories out are the only factor which a lot of people on here preach then macros wouldn’t matter. I could eat just donuts and still get a six pack.

No, it's really, really not carbs. And some sources actually call it the fourth macro. (I wouldn't, because, as I said, it's not a nutrient. Technically, it's a poison, more or less - one that can be metabolized, within certain limits, and whose effects humans (and some other critters) enjoy.)

Sardelsa has helpfully provided the USDA info for vodka: Calories, but zero carbs, zero sugar, zero fat, zero protein.

And BTW, I'm not a guy. I'm a 64 year old woman, thank you very much. (I assume you decided otherwise based on my profile pic, or something. That's just funny. Yes, it's me, at age 60.)

I apologise if I called you a guy, I honestly didn’t look at your profile or photo. I just read all the comments and replied in general. I guess I assumed that the comment came from a guy and that’s my error. Please don’t take offence. It was an honest mistake.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    This is not what I am claiming and I think we are getting lost amongst the weeds here...

I’m not actually claiming anything as fact or stating that this is the case for everyone. I truly believe that human beings all respond in different ways to foods, calories and environmental factors.

In MY experience. Which is mine alone, is that when I drink alcohol every night instead of on weekends and eat sugary overly processed foods (while keeping my calories exactly the same) my weight loss stalls or a least slows right down.

This is my experience. And it’s a valid one. It frightens me that many on here have such tunnel vision when it comes to this stuff. A number of you rudely shut down others because they are outliers or have different experiences. You are so stuck with the “science” that you refuse to entertain the notion that this “science” might be incorrect or outdated. The same science that said fat was bad and eating whole eggs are bad for you and so on...

Don’t be so quick to shoot down another persons experience just because it doesn’t meet your picture of the world around you.

I’ve seen it time and time again on here. Especially with the regular posters who apparently have nothing more in their lives than spending day after day, year after year posting on a forum designed to support people trying to improve their health and well being. It’s like a religious belief to them and any disbelievers are forced out.

Don’t be rude. Be nice. Be humble.

And I too have seen it on here time and again. The very people claiming others are "rude" and "closed minded".....well, they too could do some soul searching. You are convinced as much as the other posters, so what's to complain about? There are many lurkers that never post. Giving out wrong information can set them back. I think we're all capable of choosing who we wish to believe, in a nice, humble way.

I agree with this too. However, I didn’t once say that what I was talking about was fact. I literally said that I was doing a little experiment on myself. And explained what I experienced. I haven’t once told anybody to follow something. Plus I’m not convinced of anything, hence why I said discuss. I was hoping for a discussion not a shutting down.

To be clear, being someone who has a background in the Heath and fitness industry I am wary of giving advice unless I can confirm its effectiveness. My clients rely on me to help them reach their goals so I do not advocate dogma or things I practice just because I do them.

For example, I fast regularly and while the data on fasting is not proven, in my experience it’s an excellent tool and has helped me. We could argue about it’s “health benefits” all day but I wouldn’t tell me clients to fast. I can’t prove it works. So I don’t recommend it.

However you ask me about reducing sugar intake, alcohol consumption and switching to a more balanced diet I think we could all agree that would be a solid piece of advice.

As those above stated I am just one person and that is no data at all, so I was interested in what other people had experienced.

My bad for even bothering to try and create a dialogue. I won’t post agin.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Another sample size of one with different results — The Twinkie Diet

My take on it:
    a calorie deficit will result in weight loss over time.
    You are what you eat — so most of the time make healthy choices.
    Have treats and remember that they are treats
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Nutrition matters when wanting to get healthier.
    Get healthier doesn't necessarily mean lose weight.
    Lose weight doesn't necessarily mean get healthier.

Simply touting CICO is overly simplistic. It can be detrimental for many of us who don't understand the ins and outs of nutrition. Your body needs protein, fats, vitamins, minerals to function and the only way to get those things is through calories.

The balancing act is to ensure you can get all of the necessities while also being in a caloric deficit. This becomes more complicated when you have certain medical issues. Personally, I was unable to lose weight for a sustained period of time without becoming severely vitamin deficient until I corrected some medical problems first.

You could say "If you just kept doing CICO you'd have lost all the weight" But I couldn't continue doing CICO because my body was completely breaking down and deteriorating because I wasn't absorbing necessary nutrients!

So, no, it's not all about calories but it also kind of is...

I agree with this.
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    This is not what I am claiming and I think we are getting lost amongst the weeds here...

I’m not actually claiming anything as fact or stating that this is the case for everyone. I truly believe that human beings all respond in different ways to foods, calories and environmental factors.

In MY experience. Which is mine alone, is that when I drink alcohol every night instead of on weekends and eat sugary overly processed foods (while keeping my calories exactly the same) my weight loss stalls or a least slows right down.

This is my experience. And it’s a valid one. It frightens me that many on here have such tunnel vision when it comes to this stuff. A number of you rudely shut down others because they are outliers or have different experiences. You are so stuck with the “science” that you refuse to entertain the notion that this “science” might be incorrect or outdated. The same science that said fat was bad and eating whole eggs are bad for you and so on...

Don’t be so quick to shoot down another persons experience just because it doesn’t meet your picture of the world around you.

I’ve seen it time and time again on here. Especially with the regular posters who apparently have nothing more in their lives than spending day after day, year after year posting on a forum designed to support people trying to improve their health and well being. It’s like a religious belief to them and any disbelievers are forced out.

Don’t be rude. Be nice. Be humble.

I am with you. You didn’t give out false information or scientific facts. You just shared your own personal positive experience. Doesn’t matter if this is scientifically right or wrong.
    But apparently we should’nt post our personal experience here. People don’t like this here obviously. I liked your post.