Extremely slow progress! What is going on?!

I am logging my VEGAN food on mfp. I eat anywhere between 1800 to 2000 calories. I do well at hitting my target macros. I also wear an Apple Watch that tracks my activity. I’ve been using my health app in my phone to see my resting energy calories and also my active energy calories that I’ve burned. I total those two and usually end with a calorie deficit of 700 to sometimes 1000. Is this why my progress is so slow? I should also add that I exercise everyday.
Any advise is appreciated

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Are eating back your exercise calories, or are you netting 800-1,000 calories some days?
  • Rocio12
    Rocio12 Posts: 15 Member
    I am 5”2 183 lbs. I be been at this deficit for 5 wks. I use my peloton bike and cycle 30 min 4-5 days. I also do upper body strength classes and lower body strength classes. I do 20 min yoga twice a week. These classes are 20 min max.
  • harper16
    Rocio12 wrote: »
    I am 5”2 183 lbs. I be been at this deficit for 5 wks. I use my peloton bike and cycle 30 min 4-5 days. I also do upper body strength classes and lower body strength classes. I do 20 min yoga twice a week. These classes are 20 min max.

How much weight have you lost over the 5 weeks?
  • Rocio12
    I’ve stayed at 183
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Are you sure those calories are correct? That seems very high. Don’t include intentional exercise in your activity. What is your activity set at?
  • harper16
    edited June 2020
    I’ve stayed at 183

That's frustrating. I've been there. When you say logged, does that mean using a food scale too?
  • Rocio12
    Yes. I alwAys use a food scale
  • Rocio12
    Should I be eating more?
  • harper16
    Should I be eating more?

How many calories are you netting in a day?
  • Rocio12
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    A second question would be how did you arrive at the calorie needs you are using? Did you go through the MFP guided setup, or are you using a number from another source? If you did use the MFP setup, what activity level did you choose?

If using MFP's guideline, understand that is the NEAT method which includes your normal routine daily activities but NOT purposeful exercise. So you are to set your activity level to what your typical non-exercise activity is (don't count the yoga, bike, strength training). Are you typically on your feet during the day? Have a desk job? MFP sets your calorie goal based upon your day to day activity and expects you to eat your calories back.

Many other calculators online, however, use the TDEE method, which is meant to incorporate all activity into a single number, so you set your activity level and then do NOT count back exercise.

So if you are using the number MFP gave you, revisit your goals - which activity level did you choose? What loss rate are you shooting for? If you got your calorie goal from another source, it may be that its giving you a TDEE number and by counting back your exercise, you are actually eating too much.
  • cowejo9448
    cowejo9448 Posts: 1 Member
    good work! not too slow in my opiniontr?id=260694975193088&ev=PageView&noscript=1&.png
  • tmac68w
    tmac68w Posts: 19 Member
    Slow progress is better than no progress!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2020
    Your bike calories are way too high. 60 minutes on the bike, covering 22 miles, burns less than 300 calories for me.

Really?
    How are you measuring that? Because under 300 net cals for an hour really would be a very low power output and that does not correlate with 22mph. And is it outdoors (real miles) or a stationary bike (not really any miles at all)?

An hour an maximal effort indoors or outdoors (which if road and traffic conditions permitted I'd be delighted to do 22mph) would burn 821 net cals for me. For an much smaller, lighter female friend of mine who can actually do that sort of speed (real speed) more like 540 net cals.

Under 300 net cals for an hour really would be a very low power output and that does not compute with 22mph.