Anyone help?

Hey guys sorry for all the questions
So basically today I have had 900 calories I can have 1500 calories a day
Now my carbs so far are 110 for the day

Here are my macros
Carbs 57% goals 50
Fat 20 goal 30%
Protein 22 20%

Will I still loose weight if I’m not paying attention to these macros?

Also I don’t weigh myself everyday but I decided to do it for a few days
I find that when I’m a couch potato for a few days I lose a 1lb but when I’m at work working up a sweat (I work in a hospital) I put more I guess water weight on during the day lol!
(Might have just answered my own question there) but is it water weight or added salt during the day?
I weigh myself end of every week just I decided to Try this I don’t know why I did lol maybe research haha!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Thank you maxxitt

So should I not pay much attention to the macros, just so the calorie counting as long as I have between 50-150g of carbs a day I’ll lose the belly flab? :D xx
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    If you stay within your calorie allowance you're good to go in terms of fat loss. Your scale weight might fluctuate a bit depending on macro content since carbs require more water to digest but that has nothing to do with fat loss. Added salt will lead to water retention for most folks so your question as to whether it might be water weight or salt is "yes" :smile:

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    All that matters for weight loss is the calories. The macros are good to pay attention to, as you may find you are more satisfied with higher protein, or higher carb, etc. But, yes, you will still lose weight if you ignore the macros and only pay attention to calories.

You can gain water weight because of a number of factors...increased activity, salty foods, alcohol, excess carbs, and hormones can all factor in. So, it makes perfect sense that you find you are weighing more after an active day than after an inactive day.

Many people like weighing themselves every day so that they can see and understand the fluctuations. There are weight-trending apps out there that can help you log your daily weight data (Happy Scale and Libra are a few examples). As long as you understand and accept that you'll see fluctuations up and down, this can be a helpful tool to see your overall progress over time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Lildarlinz wrote: »

Here are my macros
    Carbs 57% goals 50
    Fat 20 goal 30%
    Protein 22 20%

Yes. Calories determine weight gain/loss, especially in the short run. Macros are about nutrition and health.

In the long run, poor nutrition can cause fatigue, reducing one's calorie expenditure (less active); poor nutrition can also cause cravings or otherwise make it hard to stick to the calorie goal (because of not feeling full). Therefore, in the long run, it's possible for nutrition to affect weight loss indirectly in those ways.

Close on macros is find, for health and nutrition, especially if you're a little under on one on day, but a different one on another day, so it sort of averages out. If you're persistently under on fat or protein, it would be good to work on improving that, but you can do it gradually. (It takes time to become malnourished.)
    I find that when I’m a couch potato for a few days I lose a 1lb but when I’m at work working up a sweat (I work in a hospital) I put more I guess water weight on during the day lol!
    (Might have just answered my own question there) but is it water weight or added salt during the day?
    I weigh myself end of every week just I decided to Try this I don’t know why I did lol maybe research haha!

Thanks guys!
    Yes, it's probably water weight. Our body needs to hold on to more water to help repair the muscle tissue after exercise (including job-type stuff), among other reasons. What matters is the trend of your weight, over a few weeks or longer. It'll go up and down day to day and within a day, but if you're losing fat, the range of weights you see on the scale (if weighing daily) will gradually move downward.
  • Lildarlinz
    Thank you Suzy :)
    I just did it for a few days Maybe for research purposes :) I weigh myself once a week now :) I have lost already I can feel my trousers getting less tighter :)

Every bit of advice of grateful and appreciated thank you xx
    All that matters for weight loss is the calories. The macros are good to pay attention to, as you may find you are more satisfied with higher protein, or higher carb, etc. But, yes, you will still lose weight if you ignore the macros and only pay attention to calories.

You can gain water weight because of a number of factors...increased activity, salty foods, alcohol, excess carbs, and hormones can all factor in. So, it makes perfect sense that you find you are weighing more after an active day than after an inactive day.

Many people like weighing themselves every day so that they can see and understand the fluctuations. There are weight-trending apps out there that can help you log your daily weight data (Happy Scale and Libra are a few examples). As long as you understand and accept that you'll see fluctuations up and down, this can be a helpful tool to see your overall progress over time.

• Lildarlinz
    Thank you Ann :)
    Usually on my work days I don’t have a lot of protein as it’s very expensive for the meals at the cafe, so I take in them calorie counted meals xx I usually do something when I get home to up that :)

And then on my days off I’m all about making fresh foods as I love making and baking from scratch! I might actually make a cheesecake Tommorow as I haven’t had a treat for a while! :)
    I’ll be sure to save you lot a slice :) xx

Thank you for your advice :) it’s much appreciated xx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Here are my macros
    Carbs 57% goals 50
    Fat 20 goal 30%
    Protein 22 20%

Yes. Calories determine weight gain/loss, especially in the short run. Macros are about nutrition and health.

In the long run, poor nutrition can cause fatigue, reducing one's calorie expenditure (less active); poor nutrition can also cause cravings or otherwise make it hard to stick to the calorie goal (because of not feeling full). Therefore, in the long run, it's possible for nutrition to affect weight loss indirectly in those ways.

Close on macros is find, for health and nutrition, especially if you're a little under on one on day, but a different one on another day, so it sort of averages out. If you're persistently under on fat or protein, it would be good to work on improving that, but you can do it gradually. (It takes time to become malnourished.)

Thanks guys!
    Yes, it's probably water weight. Our body needs to hold on to more water to help repair the muscle tissue after exercise (including job-type stuff), among other reasons. What matters is the trend of your weight, over a few weeks or longer. It'll go up and down day to day and within a day, but if you're losing fat, the range of weights you see on the scale (if weighing daily) will gradually move downward.

• SyrumNeko
    SyrumNeko Posts: 4 Member
    It really depends on what works for you - if I have too many carbs it messes with, well...pretty much everything! Allergies, endometriosis and a lifetime of bad eating habits have all taken their toll. It's going to vary from person to person, so if you work well on more carbs and less protein/fat, then that's fine. As you move along your fitness journey, you may find that you need to be more strict to get the results you're after, but for now if it's working stick with it and don't go over your calories. Just try and hit your RDA for protein for muscle repair, and don't let your fats get TOO low.
  • Lildarlinz
    Thank you syrum :)
    Compared to the carbs I was having before it’s a massive difference :) I love carbs though! They are my favourite haha!
    SyrumNeko wrote: »
    It really depends on what works for you - if I have too many carbs it messes with, well...pretty much everything! Allergies, endometriosis and a lifetime of bad eating habits have all taken their toll. It's going to vary from person to person, so if you work well on more carbs and less protein/fat, then that's fine. As you move along your fitness journey, you may find that you need to be more strict to get the results you're after, but for now if it's working stick with it and don't go over your calories. Just try and hit your RDA for protein for muscle repair, and don't let your fats get TOO low.

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Thank you maxxitt

So should I not pay much attention to the macros, just so the calorie counting as long as I have between 50-150g of carbs a day I’ll lose the belly flab? :D xx
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    If you stay within your calorie allowance you're good to go in terms of fat loss. Your scale weight might fluctuate a bit depending on macro content since carbs require more water to digest but that has nothing to do with fat loss. Added salt will lead to water retention for most folks so your question as to whether it might be water weight or salt is "yes" :smile:

I'd pay attention to the protein macro - eating sufficient protein + resistance training will help you preserve muscle (which you don't want to lose ... remember, your heart is a muscle :smile: ). The amount of protein in a deficit is often suggested to be .8 g per lb goal weight but you don't need to be obsessive about hitting that #. "Carbs" are not the devil. You'll lose the belly fat as you shed fat over-all. Be aware that where your body loses fat first is out of your control.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    As folks have said, there is no one set of percentages for macros that works or doesn't work for weight loss. As long as you are getting sufficient amounts of each of the three you should be fine.

As to losing "belly flab" as opposed to weight. You indeed have little control over where you lose weight. If "belly flab" is your concern then doing exercises to tone your abdomen is more likely to have a noticeable effect.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Like most people say, its calories in v calories out that count. So as long as you are within your calories you will be fine, I would not stress so much about macro's just yet. When you start reaching your goals, or if your hitting the gym on a regular then macro's come into affect for changes in your body due to x amount of protein needed for height/weight etc to maintain or grow muscle mass.. but if we are here just trying to lose some weight! Just count the calories!

Good luck :) feel free to add me if you need any help/advice/motivation
  • GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Macros is not much of a big deal now, but would highly recommend to make sure that adequate protein goals are hit. Its essential in gaining muscle and keeping you full for longer periods. Plus, do add strength training. About the belly flab, you cant spot reduce, so as you continue to lose weight eventually it will start showing up on the belly.