What's a food you're currently obsessed with?

Replies

• cokezerolime
    cokezerolime Posts: 14 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Peanut butter and banana wraps. Sometimes I'll drizzle honey if I'm feeling extra.

That's funny, we're having similar cravings! I just discovered how amazing tortillas with peanut butter and honey are in the air fryer, they're even better with chocolate chips! I'm banning myself from peanut butter, I've gone through a crazy amount since I discovered this.

My grandma used to make that for me when I was a kid for a late-night snack! Except she'd fry it with butter and add powder sugar, so total sugar bomb xP I feel you on that peanut butter. I heard PB2 was a lighter alternative, but I can't get behind the taste. I'd rather indulge :P
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Peanut butter and banana wraps. Sometimes I'll drizzle honey if I'm feeling extra.

That's funny, we're having similar cravings! I just discovered how amazing tortillas with peanut butter and honey are in the air fryer, they're even better with chocolate chips! I'm banning myself from peanut butter, I've gone through a crazy amount since I discovered this.

yum,!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Sooooooooooooo good. Soooooooooooooo many uses.

5e013f613761e572643d0c23_dld-00852955007067-glamor-frontpackageglamor-2019-12-05t16-40-55-iphone-7-quality-90-1-18-1-user-5c4f16e4fc9c91accd101ce4-p5su-039834-1577140065283.jpg

Ugggh, agreed! It's so good that my colleague and I have been comparing brands and recipes (like virtual wine tastings lol).

Generally, I like it best on baguette with cheese though. 😋

I just bought some of this. I should have ordered the spicier version - it just taste like a plain marinara-pasta sauce...hoping for a hit of spice w/some smokiness/lemon.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    PretZels and yogurt and pb2!!
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Vegan sausages made from soya protein.

I've always avoided vegan food and meat substitutes, but I'm starting to change my mind. They taste as good as pork sausages, but are healthier - I base my food choices on taste and nutritional information, I'm not bothered whether I eat animal products or not. But I've actually been eating vegetarian now for 5 weeks.
  • thelastnightingale
    edited July 2020

I've always avoided vegan food and meat substitutes, but I'm starting to change my mind. They taste as good as pork sausages, but are healthier - I base my food choices on taste and nutritional information, I'm not bothered whether I eat animal products or not. But I've actually been eating vegetarian now for 5 weeks.

Healthier? How?
    I like those too, Lightlife and Yves my favs, but healthier??? Nope.

It depends on what you're comparing.

Here are the numbers for 2 of my new favourite vegan sausages:

Energy: 157kcal
    Fat: 7.8g
    Saturates: 0.8g
    Sugars: 1.8g
    Protein: 15.5g
    Salt: 1.2g

And for 2 of my old favourite pork sausages:

Energy: 361kcal
    Fat: 21g
    Saturates: 8.2g
    Sugars: 9.2
    Protein: 23g
    Salt: 2.7g

Admittedly, the pork sausages are bigger, but even when you compare per 100g for both, the vegan ones still come out as much better. I guess it depends on which brands you are comparing, but for me, based on what I was buying before, it's definitely a healthier swap. :)
  • pancakerunner
    alexmose wrote: »

How bout yogurt COVERED pretzels.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    alexmose wrote: »

How bout yogurt COVERED pretzels.

As long as the pretzels are salted.
    Crunchy, salty, sour and nutty. Nice.

It's been forever since I've had these...I'd go through a whole bag sitting in front of the computer writing an 'all nighter' in University!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Besides you giving me a label info, without weights etc. I see nothing that would make one healthier than the other. Cause if calories are your healthy, then I can quickly tell you look at a few brands that are much much higher than even pork.

Not entirely sure why we're arguing? All I was trying to say is that it's a good swap for me. It doesn't matter how heavy something is, I'm not going to swap 1 sausage for a multiple of another sausage like 1 point something - on a straight 1 item for 1 item swap, I'm reducing my calorie intake. And I'm sure there are other brands that are much higher or lower in calories, but they aren't ones I buy, so they're not relevant to me.

I didn't post labels etc because they're really specific local brands here in England. As I said, the pork sausages are from my local butcher.

I've never tried soya protein sausages before, and I enjoyed them, which was a revelation to me, but I apologise for how I have seemingly said something controversial. :(

Well I agree with what you are posting. Personally I love tofu, tempeh and edamame. I generally do not eat meat substitutes, but when I do or if I did I do go for plant protein from pea, rice protein, etc. I stay far away from gluten for sure.
    Do what works for YOU. What one person considers healthy is often different than another person. Avid meat eaters will usually think meat is healthy while most vegetarians would not
  • thelastnightingale
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Well I agree with what you are posting. Personally I love tofu, tempeh and edamame. I generally do not eat meat substitutes, but when I do or if I did I do go for plant protein from pea, rice protein, etc. I stay far away from gluten for sure.
    Do what works for YOU. What one person considers healthy is often different than another person. Avid meat eaters will usually think meat is healthy while most vegetarians would not

Tempeh looks tricky to source around these parts, but tofu seems in abundance.

I've never cooked with tofu, but I understand it's more of a flavour carrier than something with a strong taste in its own right? I'm thinking maybe if I fry the extra firm kind and add soy sauce, garlic, honey and sesame seeds, that might taste alright? What's your favourite way of cooking with tofu?

I'm from a family of die-hard carnivores, so I've tried every new veggie thing with trepidation... The instinctive reaction from my childhood is 'that must taste terrible, it's not meat', but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. :)
  • VegjoyP

I've never cooked with tofu, but I understand it's more of a flavour carrier than something with a strong taste in its own right? I'm thinking maybe if I fry the extra firm kind and add soy sauce, garlic, honey and sesame seeds, that might taste alright? What's your favourite way of cooking with tofu?

I'm from a family of die-hard carnivores, so I've tried every new veggie thing with trepidation... The instinctive reaction from my childhood is 'that must taste terrible, it's not meat', but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. :)

There are dozens of recipies on line, vegan cookbooks and plant based groups.
    Scrambled tofu is a favorite to many. Curried tofu,
    blackened baked and marinated. Your idea sounds good
    I'm very strange in that I like mine in a bowl with just cocoa powder or cinnamon and stevia and or sugar free Skinny Syrup.
    Hdmp is another great options. I just hot sunflower protdin too
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member

It doesn't have a strong flavor but I really like it but i love beans/legumes. My favorite is scrambled, I'm finding with recipes with marinade for baked or air fried it needs double the marinade. Tonight I just put some Ponzu sauce on it and scrambled with vegetables.
  • pancakerunner
    jg2189rc38y4.png

the BEST pork rinds!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2020
    bocbtk478ern.jpeg
    Been eating a bag a day lol
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member

UK based? we're loving the richmond veggie sausages at the moment. Tried the linda mccartney ones and the birdseye ones, but richmond are our faves. We are also eat meaters, well low-meat I guess compared to some - love good pork sausages but they really do bump the cals up :D
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member

I'm very strange in that I like mine in a bowl with just cocoa powder or cinnamon and stevia and or sugar free Skinny Syrup.

OMG another sweet tofu eater! I dip mine in zero calorie syrup. It's like a dessert! Or French toast I guess. Yum!
  • thelastnightingale
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    UK based? we're loving the richmond veggie sausages at the moment. Tried the linda mccartney ones and the birdseye ones, but richmond are our faves. We are also eat meaters, well low-meat I guess compared to some - love good pork sausages but they really do bump the cals up :D

Yep, takes one to know one. ;) I haven't tried the Richmond ones yet - thanks for the recommendation. :) I'm currently super obsessed with Plant Chef (it's the vegan range at Mr T). I knew the range was vegetarian, but it took me a while to read the packaging properly and realise it's all vegan. Blew my mind.

Back in the days when I went into the office (I can barely remember those), they did a really nice hummus and red pepper sandwich in the meal deal. The frozen sausages are my faves, I've also tried the veggie burgers and veggie fingers. I have my eyes on the sweet potato falafel, sweetcorn fritters and pea protein sausages next time I do a shop (and have enough freezer/fridge space).

Plan to try The Tofoo Co next - I know Cauldron do tofu, but I'm not blown away by their falafel, so I thought I'd give another UK brand a go when venturing into tofu territory. I've always been really reluctant to try tofu, but if I do stick with a mostly vegetarian diet, I need to get some more protein into what I'm eating and it sounds really popular...
  • VegjoyP

OMG another sweet tofu eater! I dip mine in zero calorie syrup. It's like a dessert! Or French toast I guess. Yum!

Yay! I do sugar free chocolate too. I want to make a vegan tofu cheesecake
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member

Do you cook or bake it first? I'm not vegan but I need to add more soft foods to my diet. I also don't cook and dipping in syrup sounds easy! 😀