how many bananas in a day?

2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2020
    @mullanphylane OP's goal is to gain weight. I'm glad "eat less" worked for you but that is not a good idea in this case. He needs to eat more.
  • lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    I read somewhere once that a person had to eat upwards of 17 bananas to get adverse health effects

17 is if they aren't organic. If you go organic, 19 is the safety cutoff.

I just eat regular bananas since you don't (at least I don't) eat the peel and any pesticides that you are trying to avoid would be concentrated in the peel. They are also about half the price where I'm at.

As to the original question, OP enjoy your bananas - no harm, no foul with 2 or more a day.

Speaking of peel, do you weigh banana after peeling? Asking for my later use. Thank you.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I read somewhere once that a person had to eat upwards of 17 bananas to get adverse health effects

I just eat regular bananas since you don't (at least I don't) eat the peel and any pesticides that you are trying to avoid would be concentrated in the peel. They are also about half the price where I'm at.

As to the original question, OP enjoy your bananas - no harm, no foul with 2 or more a day.

Speaking of peel, do you weigh banana after peeling? Asking for my later use. Thank you.

Yes. Only weigh the part you'll be eating.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    edited July 2020
    KayakerJoe wrote: »
    Old bananas are mostly sugar and not worth eating.

Bananas with a very slight tinge of green are perfect

Not sure if your post was serious. :*

But if so - no, it really doesn't matter if you eat bananas with a slight tinge of green or if you eat them a bit riper.

Slightly ripe is how I do them - I don't like them too firm.

But that seems just personal preference - they have plenty of nutrition either way.

And 2 a day is by no means excessive.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21524710/

@ss_explor3r Here is a two banana a day study if you are interested in science and health relationships that you may find helpful.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2020
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @mullanphylane OP's goal is to gain weight. I'm glad "eat less" worked for you but that is not a good idea in this case. He needs to eat more.

Yes, it helps if one actually realizes what the OPs goals are and in which forum they are posting before giving formulaic advice.

From the original post:
    I'm working on my nutrition plan to include as many quality calories in my diet as possible
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    As a kid and teenager I ate 3 bananas per day, every weekday for several years (one with breakfast, one after school, one with evening snack). I was perfectly healthy and normal weight.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

Every time
  • jmata20
    jmata20 Posts: 3 Member
    None, I’m allergic. It’s avocados and raisins now 🤣🤣
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    jmata20 wrote: »
    None, I’m allergic. It’s avocados and raisins now 🤣🤣

I'm mildly allergic to bananas that still have a hint of green. Mine need to be yellow, edging on brown. Apparently it's the same allergy that causes reactions to some tomatoes, pineapples, kiwis and walnuts. And latex.