For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    A combination of spiralized carrot and granny smith is a good substitute for shredded green mango called for in Som Tam.
    uqz4v0x1jc68.jpeg
  • acpgee
    I got three harvest from my first planting of pea shoots but they are starting to look quite pathetic. New batch behind is coming up well.
    tbqgbhs4c7zz.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I've been trying different ways of keeping cilantro in a fresh state. In the past just keeping a bunch in a glass of water worked, but not lately. So my experimenting produced best results when herbs are put in the tupperware container wrapped in paper towels. Honestly, all my greens stored with paper towels lining their bags or tubs, whatever it comes in. It lasts well like that. I buy a lot of produce every week, and i eat a lot of it raw, so keeping it nice, fresh and crispy is very desirable.

Hey @icemom011 I love fresh herbs so - I just bought a few of these herb savers. Love em!! I’ll have to take fridge pics soon - they look like little trees in there lol

uk0g54buizmn.jpeg

That's really cute, but they need to be refrigerated @Safari_Gal_ ? If so, my fridge is packed for first half of the week, lol, no place for anything.

Hey @icemom011 ! Just saw this!

Technically - they can stay on counter .. I just keep mine in fridge because i always have lots of room in there. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Yum.
  • Safari_Gal_
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    The damn non-native and invasive spotted-wing drosophila pretty much devastated my entire cherry harvest. Again.

☹️☹️☹️
  • acpgee
    Pea shoot harvest is large enough to sautee like spinach tonight.
    ubljg9mvyw9t.jpeg
    umjf3j0m21y6.jpg

• Madison9776
    Madison9776 Posts: 52 Member
    My current obsession is cucumbers and peaches. I love a peach by itself or baked into something or on top of yogurt, anything really lol. For cucumbers, I like to slice them up and toss them in a bit of olive oil and garlic. It makes a great summery side with most anything.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2020
    Agree!

Today's dinner is a soup made with homemade chicken broth, some leftover chicken, rice, and -- on to the produce, onion, jalapeno (from my garden), asparagus (leftover from the 4th, so needed to be used), and chard (from my garden). I'm going to pick out some herbs to add too. I should have some onions ready to go soon -- I have tons of greens of different sorts, radishes, tomatoes and blueberries about ready, and cukes and zucchini looking promises, as well as some string beans progressing reasonably well. My cauliflower and broccoli is inconsistent.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,946 Member
    I inherited a smoker this weekend. A friend who moved away two years ago came through for a visit. When she got laid off and went back to school, she made barbecue once every week or to at a local tavern to great reviews. Her smoker was still there and rarely got used. She was trying to find a new home. It has one. It's going to be a learning curve; I've never used one.

I got an albacore loin to try out because I'm pretty good at cooking them rare with lots of smoke on a Weber charcoal grill, and it's the right time of year that they're coming off the boat fresh. Well, I cooked it and it was fine. To be honest, I would have done better on the grill, so I'm still learning.

When it was done, I thought.... vegetables! I had harvested a few beets. I sliced them and put them on some foil. I had a couple onions. Good thing I grabbed them; they were sprouting. I spiced them up and put them in the smoker. I set a timer and checked on them. It was getting late; they weren't done yet. Well, I put them back in but didn't set a timer, and I fell asleep in my chair dammit. So I ended up with little lumps of charred inedible rocks.

I will do better next time.

Anyone got suggestions for smoked veggies?

I'm bummed I ruined the beets. I only have maybe a dozen left in the ground, and it will be several more weeks before I can plant more for the fall.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I inherited a smoker this weekend. A friend who moved away two years ago came through for a visit. When she got laid off and went back to school, she made barbecue once every week or to at a local tavern to great reviews. Her smoker was still there and rarely got used. She was trying to find a new home. It has one. It's going to be a learning curve; I've never used one.

I got an albacore loin to try out because I'm pretty good at cooking them rare with lots of smoke on a Weber charcoal grill, and it's the right time of year that they're coming off the boat fresh. Well, I cooked it and it was fine. To be honest, I would have done better on the grill, so I'm still learning.

When it was done, I thought.... vegetables! I had harvested a few beets. I sliced them and put them on some foil. I had a couple onions. Good thing I grabbed them; they were sprouting. I spiced them up and put them in the smoker. I set a timer and checked on them. It was getting late; they weren't done yet. Well, I put them back in but didn't set a timer, and I fell asleep in my chair dammit. So I ended up with little lumps of charred inedible rocks.

I'm bummed I ruined the beets. I only have maybe a dozen left in the ground, and it will be several more weeks before I can plant more for the fall.

An army of tiny eggplant. :)
  • acpgee

There is a South African BBQ restaurant that cooks broccoli and kale in the smoker. Totally divine. Google Braai(= SA BBQ event) for things to do with your smoker. This is the smoked broccoli from the last time I ate at Hammer and Tongs.
    1shblminwyyx.jpeg

• acpgee
    That restaurant smokes their potato wedges too, which are amazing.
  • Safari_Gal_
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    r9a8jssc47zc.jpg
    Today's farmers market haul: Regular and cherry tomatoes, head of Romaine lettuce, a nice heap of cute little white thai eggplant, some locally-made feta cheese, patty pan and kousa squash (kousa are my favorite), shelled sugar snap peas (one stand does this to sell more once the pods start getting a little fibrous - I think the shelled sugar snaps are a pretty indulgent food, raw or blanched), ground cherries (no, I don't know what I'm doing with these ;) ).

I need to get eating: I still have a couple of turnips and some kale left over from last week, and got some black cherries, apricots, an ataulfo mango, some apples, and a cucumber at the store yesterday. Yikes! :yum:

@AnnPT77 - I adore patty pans! I also have to get on finishing up my produce haul. I told my husband to help me out lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Two meals from yesterday:

Red cabbage (with apple, onion, garlic, vinegar) in the IP with some pan wilted kale and a handful of farro, and a seitan "brat."
    0oeewcngkyr4.jpeg

Sheet pan broccoli and great northern beans with some lemon and garlic, plant based parm and chili flakes. Egg from my hens.
    tp71hhjzb4kx.jpeg

Is Vegan Thursday a thing? I don't count the egg as it's from my happy happy backyard chickens.

• acpgee
    Veg heavy tapas spread. Roast cherry tomatoes, Catalan spinach, habas con jamon made with runner beans instead of brod beans, Portuguese marinated carrots. The non veggie bits where Spanish tortilla and mojama.
    gc7jllvkavyc.jpeg