Unsupportive Husband

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    My wife started calorie tracking before I did. Then I started and she said, "well, this was my thing, so I quit now...". I lost 80 lbs over a year and have kept it off for 9 years now and counting.

The next year, she got on board and lost around 30 lbs and kept most of it off. I did my thing first and when she saw that I could do it, she wanted to do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit shocked at all of the "make two meals" comments. I'm assuming as he's a married man that he's an adult. If he doesn't like eating your food he doesn't have to. He knows where shops are and he knows what a kitchen is. If he can't cook YouTube has thousands and thousands of how to cook videos.

I know it can be hard standing up for yourself when you're not used to it but I would suggest clearly and calmly having a conversation and making it clear what your intentions are and that his choices are to eat what you're eating or to make his own food. Try to have the conversation away from meal times so he's got time to make changes if he needs to.
    I am in a relationship where we each prepare our own meals (I'm vegan and even before that my husband was a pickier eater than me, so we've always made our own), but that's a big change to spring on someone if you've always agreed to make their food. I'm not saying OP can't do that, but I think we should acknowledge that in many relationships, telling someone who has had their meals prepared for them that they must now make their own (unless they're willing to adhere to new dietary restrictions) would be a major event.

Thanks for again articulating what I was thinking!

My OH takes care of the cars. I would be hurt if he were to suddenly tell me I was on my own for this, even though I am completely capable of getting my oil changed, etc. And this is something that only gets done occasionally - it would be a bigger hurt for something that gets done every day.

My family has a long history of accommodating food allergies. It's a simple step to move to accommodating food preferences. Every July 4th I make two potato salads - my mom's and his mom's. Every Thanksgiving I make two stuffings.

As for dinners, he certainly pulls his weight by grilling and doing most of the cleanup.
  • JazzyJewel1969
    JazzyJewel1969 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I switched to vegetarian in March and it caused me to gain weight and have all kinds of problems!! Because I wasnt getting enough protein!! So if you are going to change do a whole lot of research and dont expect your family to change because you are!! And as of the support at home that is 1 thing that is so hard to get when your changing your diet habits .... Friend me if you like!! I am not trying to judge you in your decision but just becareful of how you do it
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    In our current Quarantine condition, we have 4 adults living together. Me, my wife, my 24y, and my 18y. Everybody has different food requirements and preferences. (One is dairy free, one is dairy and gluten free, two have no particular issues and like having cheese and butter available.) My wife has a dietitian that gives complex and varying instructions over time.

But, somehow we've all learned to cook meals that fulfill these requirements. Everyone participates in meal prep, including my 18y. If someone always wants to have meat, you can make vegetable dishes that are also side dishes for meat (e.g., tofu veggie stir fry). A meat lover could become their own grill meister, for example.

Some specific changes have included dropping pizza. Also, several people don't like pork, so we've stopped having pork chops once a week. We eat more seafood than ever!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you can't prepare veggie side dishes that will double as the main dish for you, salads and appetizers, and designate your husband the Grill Sergeant. Just make a bigger portion of whatever it is you want but enough to share with him. If he wants meat, he can have some fun charring some up for himself!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Hello everybody! I hope everybody is doing well, especially during these unprecidented times. I have been totally changing the way that I eat and exercise and my husband isn't being very supportive. I want to switch to being a vegetarian and he doesn't like it at all. He won't let me cook what I want to cook and he just comes up with all these excuses why I shouldn't make what I want to make. He is being very controlling. Can someone give me some advice? Is anybody going through anything similar?

You realize you don't have to switch to vegetarian to lose weight? If you have other reasons fine, but weight loss is calories in vs calories out.

The OP does not mention weight loss at all in her question. 🤷‍♀️

True. I saw the bolded in the OP's question and made the assumption she was working on weight loss but you know what happens when you assume.

" I have been totally changing the way that I eat and exercise and my husband isn't being very supportive."
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Ok, I realize that I wasn't clear at all about what I said in my first post. I am allowing him to eat and make whatever he wants to eat, but I want to change my eating habits. But he wants me to eat what he eats which is unhealthy foods. I know that I don't have to switch to vegetarian to lose weight, I do know that losing weight is calories in calories out, but I do have my other reasons why switching is good for me.

If he offers something you're no longer eating simply say no thank you. I'm happy with what I'm eating.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    As others said, your post is not clear on what exactly he is protesting.

Speaking from experience, it is possible to change someone else’s eating habits with them resisting, but it takes time. In my case, like three years. My husband is (was) very much a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, but we started small. We always make our weekly meal plan and grocery shopping together, and cook together as well. First, it was just meatless Monday, and not even every week. We usually tried a new recipe every time, so eventually we had some good ones we both liked and started replacing some red meat regulars with those. Now, my husband observes meatless Monday independently even if I’m not home, and is known to cook tofu for a Friday night dinner with his guy friends. We still eat red meat occasionally, but it’s slowly been replaced by vegetarian options, chicken and fish. When we do have red meat, it’s usually in smaller quantities than before.

For the last 6 months we’ve been working on adding more veggies into meals to make them lighter and more nutritious. This process has been much faster than the shift from red meat towards vegetarianism, mostly because I found my secret weapon: agreeing to pretty much any recipe he suggests with ”ok, how do we add more veggies into that?”. He’s getting pretty good at it already, and it doesn’t feel like he’s being denied the foods he wants.

If his issue is with you cooking for both of you and he still wants to continue eating meat, I think you could start small with a new vegetarian recipe here and there, and gradually switching from red meat to more chicken and fish, and going from there. Alternatively, especially if he eats lunch at work, could you have a discussion with him about maybe he could eat his meat on meals that are not shared with you, and have more vegetarian meals with you? It’s not really about vegetarianism, but my husband and I have a pact that we indulge in the foods the other hates when they aren’t home or when we eat at restaurants. That way, the meals we share are something we both genuinely enjoy but neither one is deprived of the other things we like.

This just feels icky to me. There is a feel of manipulation here, I mean your "secret weapon".

I mean it sounds like he's changed on his own choice but the sense of devious Ness just feels wrong. Why can t you accept your husband as he is.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you expect him to become a vegetarian and refuse to have meat in the kitchen, you need to change your expectations. If he is literally controlling what you can eat, you have a serious marriage problem.