Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Replies

• chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    I prefer not to murder in order to eat, but also to eat healthfully, so yes, I eat them in moderation. Everyone eats in accordance with their own values and preferences; these are mine.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 336 Member
    My hubby has been eating less meat due to GI issues and we have adopted an almost vegan diet across the board. We tried the Beyond Meat Famous Star at Carl's Jr and those things are very tasty. I decided to purchase a couple of Beyond Meat patties at the grocery store and make "burgers" at home and we enjoyed it very much.
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    “If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't. ”

― Michael Pollan

So if you process the food in your house and not a factory / plant, then that would be good to eat? Is it the plant / factories you (Pollan) have the issues with? Completely disagree.

But if it is processed in your body rather than a pan over a fire or stovep; THAT's okay? Everything is a chemical process.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    edited May 2020
    MikePYT

2. If people want to scare about "processed" or "funny sounding ingredients", they should look at what gets fed to commercially produced beef. Cows don't magically appear in the slaughterhouse. They are raised and fed antibiotics and all sorts of other things ingredients (I've heard people try to scare about soy being in meat replacements not realizing that it is one of the primary ingredients fed to cows). I am not much one for ingredient scaring, but if you are, it's easy to do with beef too.

I don't know where you live, so I'm not sure if it applies to you but in the UK the main food for cattle is grass. Either grazing in the summer or as silage in the winter. Most are fed some form of hard food which includes soy protein but the soy that is in it is a byproduct of what is used for human consumption. As for antibiotics, farmers don't generally use them unless its necessary (they're expensive!) Also antibiotics have very strict withdrawal periods to ensure that they have left the animals system before they are in the food chain. I am aware that not all farmers have the same practices and that there are different practices all around the world. (Not a fan of USA feedlots). In short I think that it really depends on where your beef comes from and the person who raised it, mostly farmers who love their cattle and want to produce a quality product.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    TBH, I quit reading this a long time ago when it got too involved. :/
    But I've been eating veggie burgers smothered in onions, mushrooms, avocado, and spinach. And they are soooo good. :)
    I figured if I was gonna eat ice cream, then veggie burgers aren't gonna kill me any quicker. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    MikePYT

2. If people want to scare about "processed" or "funny sounding ingredients", they should look at what gets fed to commercially produced beef. Cows don't magically appear in the slaughterhouse. They are raised and fed antibiotics and all sorts of other things ingredients (I've heard people try to scare about soy being in meat replacements not realizing that it is one of the primary ingredients fed to cows). I am not much one for ingredient scaring, but if you are, it's easy to do with beef too.

I don't know where you live, so I'm not sure if it applies to you but in the UK the main food for cattle is grass. Either grazing in the summer or as silage in the winter. Most are fed some form of hard food which includes soy protein but the soy that is in it is a byproduct of what is used for human consumption. As for antibiotics, farmers don't generally use them unless its necessary (they're expensive!) Also antibiotics have very strict withdrawal periods to ensure that they have left the animals system before they are in the food chain. I am aware that not all farmers have the same practices and that there are different practices all around the world. (Not a fan of USA feedlots). In short I think that it really depends on where your beef comes from and the person who raised it, mostly farmers who love their cattle and want to produce a quality product.

I can believe that farmers may feel affection for cows as a species, but I don't believe you can love someone and choose to turn them into meat. Maybe my definition of "love" is too limited. Are there farmers who believe they have a duty of reasonable care up until slaughter? Absolutely.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Funny story.
    My daughter has groceries delivered.
    Texted her grocery, ordered grass fed, no antibiotic, 97/3 ground beef.
    They texted back, how about beyond beef?
    She texted back, no, just any grass fed would do.
    She texted back just any ground beef, as lean as possible.
    She called them, told them what she planned to make, asked what they would recommend, ground turkey, etc?
    They said nope. We recommend beyond beef. Said the only meat of any kind we have in the store right now is some hard salami.
    They tried the beyond meat. They said next time they’d have scrambled eggs. Or cold cereal. Or anything else.
  • stuffyknee
    stuffyknee Posts: 13 Member
    I eat mostly Whole Food Plant Based, and I avoid stuff like Beyond Burger. Avoid, but occasionally use. Avoiding heavily processed foods has been a great thing for me. Instead of oils, for example, I use tahini, nut-based dressings, etc. This gives me more fiber and protein with my fat and keeps me satiated. In my household, moving to WFPB eating helped those of us who needed to lose weight do so, and those who needed to gain do the same.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Haven't tried one yet, but do eat veggie burgers/sausages. I don't eat beef.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Well I finally decided to try the new Beevee strips. I’m vegan and rarely have the processed stuff because I hate the taste. It tasted really good but I couldn’t stop throwing up afterwards. I still feel so sick. So that’s a no from me.
  • ZenDream
    ZenDream Posts: 208 Member
    I've been eating them for years. They are good. Something was changed in their burgers but they are still good. Higher on the sodium count but taste good.
  • LukesGreenMilk
    LukesGreenMilk Posts: 56 Member
    I'm not vegan but I have 100% transitioned to Beyond Burgers whenever we do grilling! Taste so good, and although I do eat some other animal products, it's nice to hold back when possible.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm not reading 500+ posts, only things I care about are:

1. is it tasty?
    2. is it cheap?

Don't eat burgers much but if they came up with a cheap, non-perishable meat replacement, I'd be all over that. Remembering to take the meat out of the freezer a few hours before cooking is a pain in the backside. ETA: and yeah, meat is expensive, I'd like it if they fixed that.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    edited July 2020
    Ha ha on that. I've actually been unable to eat any of the prepackaged meat substitutes of late and have just been eating beans or tofu as a sub for meat. Except when I do eat a burger it's the real deal. :)
  • kimwilding1979
    kimwilding1979 Posts: 3 Member
    Just thought I'd add to this, as everyone commenting so far seems to have an abstract opinion, rather than firsthand. Beyond burgers are by far the most realistic meat replacement burgers we've had since going vegan. To the point that some vegans and vegetarians I know, don't like them because they taste too meaty. A lot of people choose to give up meat for reasons other than diet, or even the animals, there is a lot of people who have gone vegan for ecological reasons and who really miss a good steak, and I think that's what companies like Beyond and Impossible are trying to tap into, or the Veganuary crowd. The Vegan world is crazy diverse.
  • lorimiller18
    lorimiller18 Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2020
    nasty over processed food by big food corporations that play on people's "emotions about meat" Waste and bad for the environment. Eat local whole foods.