Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited February 2020
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Imma just gonna drop this here:

B)

Shut up and take my money!!!

Someone needs to make a "Beyond Cauliflower" one. Because cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower rice. :D

Would a Beyond Cauliflower pizza crust be... a dough crust? :confused::lol:
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »

5mcu2sibfjyh.jpg

B)

Arby's is apparently making a meat based carrot and testing it out in certain restaurants.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90368896/arbys-is-making-carrots-out-of-meat-yes-meat

Considering I couldn't find any follow up articles, I don't think enough people reacted to their trolling to warrant attempting to actually sell it, unless they're slating it for April 1 :smiley:

I had a feeling it was more of a troll for publicity than anything.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited February 2020
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

B)

Shut up and take my money!!!

Someone needs to make a "Beyond Cauliflower" one. Because cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower rice. :D

Would a Beyond Cauliflower pizza crust be... a dough crust? :confused::lol:

I had pictured a bacon crust pizza.

Yup! You could go whole hog (snort) with this one:

w7azgm0obkd0.jpg
    http://www.savoryreviews.com/2012/10/06/bacon-crust-pizza/

Or half-and-half with this one from Little Caesar's that uses a traditional crust *and* 3 1/2 feet of bacon:

tc6nfxppba0g.jpg

:)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    There is already a chicken pizza crust being sold for the keto crowd, but no "sky is falling" racket around that one.
  • snickerscharlie
    There is already a chicken pizza crust being sold for the keto crowd, but no "sky is falling" racket around that one.

The bacon crust one had tons of keto tags attached when I searched as well, but I left that out. :D
  • amusedmonkey

The bacon crust one had tons of keto tags attached when I searched as well, but I left that out. :D

I mean a real product, not a recipe.
    7_pepperoni_cb910cd1-ad01-491d-b56d-3d65a2ea9e68_1024x1024.png?v=1579014099

• snickerscharlie
    edited February 2020

So that's basically an unbreaded flattened chicken parmigiana with some pepperoni on top? B)

Edited to add: LOL at the "Only minimally processed" on the box. I guess their definition of not processed is rather generous.
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    To me, they're convenient, they taste good, and a lot of them have the nutrients I'm looking for. The higher-calorie and higher-fat ones taste great, but I try to have them only once in a while, just like a lot of meat eaters would do with a greasy hamburger. As a vegetarian, I'm very happy that they're showing up on restaurant menus so I don't always have to order a salad (and often pay for chicken that I ask them to leave off).
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Big flour isn't as savvy, I guess.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2020

You say that the same day I go to the grocery store and come out with three bags of different flours. The woes of running out of whole wheat, bread flour, and coming very close to running out of all purpose flour within a one month period. Mind you the store I went to also a whole section specifically for Bob's Red Mill. "Big" local flour meet mainstream localish chain.
  • amusedmonkey

Yeah, they don't seem to mind almond flour and coconut flour either.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    I'm late to the thread, but here's my 2 cents on Beyond/Impossible meat:
    They made it as close to "real" beef as possible. So... if you wouldn't eat a regular Whopper, you shouldn't eat an Impossible Whopper, either. It's not any better for you, it's just better for the planet (and some argue against that, too).
    Taste-wise, I had a Beyond Burger at a local restaurant. It reminded me strongly of the burgers we used to eat in high school. Not great, but not horrible. Would definitely think it was beef if they weren't telling me otherwise.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

You say that the same day I go to the grocery store and come out with three bags of different flours. The woes of running out of whole wheat, bread flour, and coming very close to running out of all purpose flour within a one month period. Mind you the store I went to also a whole section specifically for Bob's Red Mill. "Big" local flour meet mainstream localish chain.

I love that big, wide range of flours. One of these years, I'm going to experiment with each and every one.

Since, for me, salt is my big medical problem, and since I like bread, I've been making my own for the past couple of years. This way, I can control how much salt goes into the dough. Reading the stats on ap flour has made me turn against using it on a regular basis - to my mind, it doesn't give me enough nutrition for the caloric buck.

However. I had leftover ap flour from Christmas cookie baking, and decided to use it up. In order to increase the nutrition load, I combined it with low sodium chicken stock instead of water, and was very pleasantly surprised at the result. I also loved feeling the little yeast bubble pops while I kneaded it: you don't get that degree of action from whole wheat or bread flour! So, even in the range of wheat flours you get different actions that you can actually feel.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Wolfger wrote: »
    They made it as close to "real" beef as possible. So... if you wouldn't eat a regular Whopper, you shouldn't eat an Impossible Whopper, either. It's not any better for you, it's just better for the planet (and some argue against that, too).
    Taste-wise, I had a Beyond Burger at a local restaurant. It reminded me strongly of the burgers we used to eat in high school. Not great, but not horrible. Would definitely think it was beef if they weren't telling me otherwise.

So... if you wouldn't eat a regular Whopper due to ethical or environmental concerns, in fact you should totally eat an Impossible Whopper...?
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Wolfger wrote: »

So... if you wouldn't eat a regular Whopper due to ethical or environmental concerns, in fact you should totally eat an Impossible Whopper...?

Going vegan/plant-based for health has become such a trend in the past year or two that people forget some (me included) are vegan for ethical reasons first and foremost.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

So that's basically an unbreaded flattened chicken parmigiana with some pepperoni on top? B)

Edited to add: LOL at the "Only minimally processed" on the box. I guess their definition of not processed is rather generous.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of "minimally processed" pepperoni.

I'm positive I've seen plenty of people on MFP going on about their brand new "no processed foods!" diets while eating pepperoni. People have the weirdest understanding of what "processed" means -- I think for many it's like a buzzword with no meaning other than "foods that I consider, for whatever reason, unhealthy."

And I think given the popularity of keto, etc., some have decided that pepperoni is basically a health food, so long as you don't eat it with, ick, those terrible grains.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

Maybe I'm just wrong headed (as usual ;) ), but that actually seems like using the word more like I'd use it in daily life: "Minimally processed XYZ" would be XYZ made through the simplest possible (minimal) process.

Foods like pepperoni are (IMO) traditional foods, and there's a traditional process for making them. I'm guessing it's a lot simpler than the modern mass-production methods. You grind up meats, mix them with spices and some minimal saltpeter (a mineral), stuff them in a casing, and dry/age them. It's not hyper-dramatically processed, in my view, i.e., not a lot of taking out chemical components, mixing in other extracted stuff, to the point where it's denatured.

It doesn't seem a lot more processed, to me, than many cheeses, tofu, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Maybe I'm just wrong headed (as usual ;) ), but that actually seems like using the word more like I'd use it in daily life: "Minimally processed XYZ" would be XYZ made through the simplest possible (minimal) process.

Foods like pepperoni are (IMO) traditional foods, and there's a traditional process for making them. I'm guessing it's a lot simpler than the modern mass-production methods. You grind up meats, mix them with spices and some minimal saltpeter (a mineral), stuff them in a casing, and dry/age them. It's not hyper-dramatically processed, in my view, i.e., not a lot of taking out chemical components, mixing in other extracted stuff, to the point where it's denatured.

It doesn't seem a lot more processed, to me, than many cheeses, tofu, etc.

That makes sense -- it's not so much arguing that pepperoni itself is minimally processed, but it's arguing that for pepperoni, it hasn't undergone additional processing.

I would categorize things like pepperoni and cheese and tofu to be in the same ballpark when it comes to processing. They're all things that your average cook could make at home (although most of us don't, at least in the US). I don't personally consider them minimally processed, but that's the sort of subjectivity that often comes up in conversations like this.