60 yrs and up

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) I overdid it working in the yard on Saturday and my back has been sore. I have been walking the dogs in the morning but staying away from yard work and riding my exercise bike. The hardest thing has been staying off the bike because I usually ride it for hours every day while watching TV, eating my supper, reading, and going to Zoom meetings. Since I have some extra time, I've been taking a nap in the afternoon which is also good for resting my back. I'm taking it one day at a time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I overdid it working in the yard on Saturday and my back has been sore. I have been walking the dogs in the morning but staying away from yard work and riding my exercise bike. The hardest thing has been staying off the bike because I usually ride it for hours every day while watching TV, eating my supper, reading, and going to Zoom meetings. Since I have some extra time, I've been taking a nap in the afternoon which is also good for resting my back. I'm taking it one day at a time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Hope you’re feeling better soon!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hey, y'all. Just checking on a Tuesday. Nothing new here. I have got to get back to regular food and snack prep. Eating too much of whatever is at hand instead of what I need to drop these last few pounds.
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey everyone! Sounds like everyone’s doing fairly well 🤓 I am good been playing in my yard. It has been hot here in Oregon too!! Wow!! Down 2 lbs again trying to keep active! Welcome to the newbies this is a great place for support! Congrats on the weight losses! Just wanted to check in and say hi🤓 have a great day🤓🇺🇸💖🦋🌷🌹
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    Another good day

Cleaned the house top to bottom
    2 walks total 8.40 miles
    25 minute jogging on the spot
    2189 total calories
    20,291 steps

If I can do it you can reach your goals too

• MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    I just joined. 62 years and for the first time in my life overweight. Thyroid, high blood pressure Beta blocker meds and the start of both of those increasing issues was quitting smoking in January. A 20 lb weight increase. It is nice to meet all of you. Im just hoping I get the hang of posting in the correct forum.
  • barbiecat
    :) My aching back is getting better. I rode my exercise bike for just under an hour last night but will stay away from yard work until Saturday.

:) Our big adventure yesterday was shopping at Costco (first time since May). We both went and shopped with separate carts and separate lists. The most annoying people in the stores are couples ---he takes up space standing with the cart and she dashes around getting stuff and calling questions back at him. I don't want to be those people.

:) My zucchini looks like I will have veggies very soon.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • TWJuly46
    TWJuly46 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I am new to here. I have been on Noom for about 4 months - down 23 pounds but I think I need a change. Have any of you made the switch and could you tell me the advantages of using My Fitness Pal over Noom. I am in Oregon and would love to connect with people on this journey.
  • barbiecat
    TWJuly46 wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to here. I have been on Noom for about 4 months - down 23 pounds but I think I need a change. Have any of you made the switch and could you tell me the advantages of using My Fitness Pal over Noom. I am in Oregon and would love to connect with people on this journey.

:) My only experience with NOOM is what I've heard in their advertising and it always strikes me that it sounds a lot like MFP. I have been using MFP for several years and have lost the weight I wanted to lose and pretty much kept it off. The important ingredients of my new life have been logging food and exercise every day, seeking ways to eat that provide maximum nutrition for minimum calories, and seeking every opportunity to be active. I found exercise I like to do and make sure to put it at the top of my list of things to do each day. I stopped using food as recreation, entertainment, or therapy. I experimented with different ways of eating until I found one that I could stay with for the long haul. Along with all of that, I found a thread of supportive people with whom I check in every day. I ask questions and share what's going on with me. I use this thread along with another called "Women Ages 50+" I made exercise my hobby. I don't share my weight loss journey with my face to face friends because too many of them are not supportive. I read books that have helped me stay on track ("Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin and "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley are two of my favourites.)

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • uspblu
    uspblu Posts: 1 Member
    HI - Started March 4th, down 26# have another 27 to go. MFP tracking and tools have helped so much. I've paired it with my FitBit watch and between the 2 it's been fairly easy so far. I noticed today after my walk, sitting in the car and cooling down for a minute, I looked down at my leg/thigh. I didn't even recognize it! :smiley:
  • barbiecat
    :) I have an appointment today with a new doctor at a new clinic and I am stressed because I don't like new things and things that throw me off my usual schedule. I am dealing with the stress by doing familiar tasks this morning. I've already walked the dogs for two hours and plan to fix something in the slow cooker to freeze for several meals later, fold laundry, and complete a few simple computer related tasks.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Barbie, good luck today, I'm sure you will have a great experience with your new doctor.
  • alteredsteve175
    I turn 70 on January 25th. I'm hoping to reach ONEderland for my birthday. I have 48.5 pounds to lose in just under 27 weeks. A very hard slog. I've lost at that pace for the last 11 weeks (20 pounds in 11 weeks) so it is still not completely out of the question but as someone who last weighed less than 200 pounds in the 80s, it's a real project.

So, I'm just sayin', don't let your age tell you that you can't do this. You can! I am! I will continue!

Love your spirit, Heidi! That's the attitude one needs to lose weight as a seasoned citizen!
  • TWJuly46
    TWJuly46 Posts: 5 Member
    How do I find directions on how to log in steps from my pedometer on my exercise tab?
  • barbiecat
    TWJuly46 wrote: »
    How do I find directions on how to log in steps from my pedometer on my exercise tab?

:) There are entries like "walking 2.0 mph" on the database to give you an idea of calorie burn for walking. Decide how fast you are walking, then enter how long you walked at that speed and you'll see the calorie burn. After you have an idea of how many calories you burn on a certain amount of walking, then you can create your own entry with a clever title and add time walked and calories burned.
  • barbiecat
    Barbie, good luck today, I'm sure you will have a great experience with your new doctor.

:) When I finally got to the doctor's office and checked in, they gave me a card with the doctor's picture and info about her training and areas of special interest. When I saw her picture she reminded me of someone I'd met recently that I liked a lot and I felt peaceful immediately. When I met her, I liked her a lot. There were many things about the visit that put me at ease and I felt great when I left.
  • alteredsteve175
    Just checkin' in, y'all. Big plans for the weekend - a two hour road trip to visit some dear friends who are in country from Japan for a few days. Gotta' see them before they return for another year in Japan.

Was planning to visit them in Japan this winter, but the 'rona virus has thrown a big wrench in those plans. Maybe next year. When I don't have to quarantine for two weeks at each end of the trip.
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    I quit smoking in January. That started my snowball that got me here. I love veggies and always ate low calories but potatoes and bread were more important to me than sweets. My husband quit smoking as well and an unhealthy eater so it is difficult to make dinners that he likes and that I am happy with in the green dept. The pandemic has been hard for so many of us. I work but the anxiety of it and wearing a mask 8 hours a day is hard.