60 yrs and up

Replies

• MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Is there a forum for 60 and up or do we need to just keep replying here? I have found that my age, has made it more difficult to lose weight and gain it differently. Seems like alot of us are on meds that can add weight. Arthritis is setting in so that I need to do lower impact exercise. Swimming would be amazing but our pools are shut down. I bought an elliptical for lower impact on my joints. I am new so if anyone does not mind me adding as a friend please let me know. I am open to all hints, tips and tricks to lose 20 pounds.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :) This thread has turned into a very friendly and supportive place to share and learn. Some of us post frequently and others only from time to time. I also post on a thread called "Women Ages 50+" This thread includes men and women.

:) Quitting smoking was not my problem, but my husband quit smoking after he got some useful information from his cardiologist that came at the right time for him to be receptive to it.

:) I like having an online forum to share my successes, failures, fears, and other thoughts. The people in my face to face world are often either too close to the problem or too busy thinking about themselves to be helpful to me.

:) I get up extra early so I can walk before it gets too warm. Later in the day, neither the dogs nor I feel like being active outdoors.

:) Yesterday I was able to work in the yard again after a week's rest because of overdoing last Saturday. It was difficult for me to spend more time sitting, but the result was that I am now pain free again and able to do the things I want to do.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    TWJuly46 wrote: »
    How do I find directions on how to log in steps from my pedometer on my exercise tab?

I downloaded the "PACER" app to my iPhone and it syncs to MFP so I always know how many steps I take and MFP adjusts my calories accordingly. The app is free and I don't eat the walking calories which are permanently set to 1200 on MFP. The only inconvenience is that you have to have your iPhone with you at all times. Possibly there are some other things out there, but this works for me.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    If you have a Fitbit you can connect it right to MFP.
  • 7sorok
    I quit smoking in January. That started my snowball that got me here. I love veggies and always ate low calories but potatoes and bread were more important to me than sweets. My husband quit smoking as well and an unhealthy eater so it is difficult to make dinners that he likes and that I am happy with in the green dept. The pandemic has been hard for so many of us. I work but the anxiety of it and wearing a mask 8 hours a day is hard.

Congrats on quitting smoking. How are you doing? ( I quit about 25 years ago). Don't tell me that you love frozen bread because I'll give up any and all cookies for a slice of a good frozen white bread. Lol. I'm weird. Be strong! The pandemic will end one day and our collective task is to survive. That's right - we have to survive to see the future. Good luck to you and yours
  • ixchelkeshet
    ixchelkeshet Posts: 36 Member
    I have been on MFP for 2 years and lost almost 25 lbs with 63 to go. I turn 65 next month. I have multiple maladies to work around, but who knows, I just may lose this weight this year. I haven't been slender since I was 40, and even that was a blip. But logging, even if not jogging, seems to be working. Slow metabolism. Apparently our ancestors didn't feed granny much. 😉
  • KaysJourney2020
    KaysJourney2020 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi 60's Group! I'm new here in this group. Starting my third week of a healthier lifestyle. Slowly losing. Trying to do the low carb. It is tough, I'm not going to lie. But I found that the higher protein and fat sure keep me full so I have stopped snacking. I find it hard to get in all the calories I need. Anyway, just wanted to say hello to all of you and keep up the good work!
  • pippo_11
    pippo_11 Posts: 42 Member
    I quit smoking in January.
    Well done! That’s a big one to put away. 6 months and going strong. Good on you.
  • BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2020
    A bit disappointed today, checked the weight and it's exactly the same as 12 days ago yet my calorie intake is the same 1100 a day. Do I need to reduce even more?
  • pippo_11
    pippo_11 Posts: 42 Member
    BobWillers wrote: »
    A bit disappointed today, checked the weight and it's exactly the same as 12 days ago yet my calorie intake is the same 1100 a day. Do I need to reduce even more?
    Drop 100 calories per day and introduce 40 minutes of exercise per day. Walking is fine, just come home in a sweat though. You need diet change AND exercise in my opinion. All the best with it.

• 7sorok
    BobWillers wrote: »

1)Try to raise calories for one (1) day. About 400-500 calories. It might confuse your metabolism. It works for me.
    2) You might be eating not enough and your metabolism is in the stagnation mode unless you're as short as I am and I'm 4'11". I had set my calorie intake to permanent 1200 calories and I had lost 40 lbs. This is my own observation and it works for me.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    @Barbie so good to hear your visit went well!
    @Steve have a great weekend with your friends!
    @Bob it seems you are already consuming too few calories @1100 a day, especially for a man. Are you using a food scale for accurate tracking? Think about checking this out first.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    @Bob it seems you are already consuming too few calories @1100 a day, especially for a man. Are you using a food scale for accurate tracking? Think about checking this out first.

I had the same thought when I read your post, Bob. 1100 calories a day is extremely low. How did you arrive at that number as a target?

I second getting a food scale if you are not already using one. Accuracy is important when you aiming for a low calorie target.

• clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    Hi All! I am 73 and have gained around 12 lbs. I'm used to being small (5'1"tall) and this extra weight is getting me down. I started at 129 and I'm down to 124. I exercise most days. I am limiting my calories to around 900 - 1000 per day. I know it's not much, but my resting metabolism says I can have 1050 calories a day to maintain. I am having a hard time losing and can use all the help I can get!

Hi Claire, hope you're doing well. You should congratulate yourself for dropping 5LBs! You didn't mention over what period of time though...because of your height and being within the normal BMI range again, it's going to be slower. What are the results/time frame you were hoping for ? Can you be comfortable and patient with 1 to 1 1/2 a month?

• clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    My name is Nikki. Claire is my granddaughter. Bubbe means grandmother in Yiddish, hence, Clairesbubbe. I have lost 7 lbs so far. Probably started 2 months ago. I have another 7 to lose to get to my goal weight of 115. I'd like to lose it by yesterday! I don't mind losing slowly as long as it's consistent. I am having a hard time dealing with staying home and not socializing do to covid19. I want to snack all the time, but I don't keep anything in the house to snack on. I have an eating disorder and my therapist is afraid that, because I'm restricting my diet so much, I am heading for a binge, but so far, so good.
  • barbiecat
    :) Threads like this have filled the socializing gap for me. Also meeting a friend for a walk
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    My name is Nikki. Claire is my granddaughter. Bubbe means grandmother in Yiddish, hence, Clairesbubbe. I have lost 7 lbs so far. Probably started 2 months ago. I have another 7 to lose to get to my goal weight of 115. I'd like to lose it by yesterday! I don't mind losing slowly as long as it's consistent. I am having a hard time dealing with staying home and not socializing do to covid19. I want to snack all the time, but I don't keep anything in the house to snack on. I have an eating disorder and my therapist is afraid that, because I'm restricting my diet so much, I am heading for a binge, but so far, so good.

Nikki, you are so close to your goal weight of 115, that's fantastic! And...7lbs in 2 months is great being that close to goal. Pace yourself now to 1-1 1/2 lbs per month so that you will learn what you need to do to maintain.
    Congratulations!!
  • BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member

I had the same thought when I read your post, Bob. 1100 calories a day is extremely low. How did you arrive at that number as a target?

I second getting a food scale if you are not already using one. Accuracy is important when you aiming for a low calorie target.

The 1100 a day was set by the fitness people at "One Life Suffolk" when my GP advised me I needed to lose weight following a heart attack. It was calculated taking into consideration that I am not very mobile so my exercise is zero. (No change there) but it did work and I lost over 50 pounds.
    Diet wise my food is pretty much the same day to day, 1 boiled egg and 2 slices for breakfast, ham sandwich for lunch, fish, chicken with veg or a salad for dinner and 2 toast shared with the dogs for supper. As I don't drink tea or coffee it's water but I do have the occasional whiskey. My OH is diabetic so it makes sense to keep food simple and safe without separate menus. Thanks everyone :)
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Hi Over Sixties,
    Checking in today. Set for maintaining my weight for the last few weeks, and gained a pound, possibly just water. I'm at the top of th healthy BMI range and allthough I would rather be thinner, my energy and happiness levels were declining so I decided to eat the sustainable amount I need for a while.

Good day to all. 💐👍🏻💕💕✌🏼️🌻⚜🐠
  • barbiecat
    :) Better step count yesterday because I met two friends for a walk yesterday. We figured out how three people can walk in our neighborhood and stay far apart.

<3 Barbie in NW WA