Tofu Help

springlering62
springlering62 Posts: 7,334 Member
edited July 2020 in Food and Nutrition
I loooove tofu.

I cannot cook it well to save my life. There must be some step or technique I’m just missing.

How do you cook yours? Need help from the beginning: from unwrapping and pressing or draining all the way through cooking.

I tried cooking firm marinated tofu in an aircrisper yesterday and it just came out dry and tasteless.

But doggone it, if I can score that much protein for that few calories, I want to keep hacking at it til I figure it out.

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Hmmm I love it in the air fryer but it seems you tried that already.

Marinate and bake. Marinate and air fry. I also like it air fried with out marinating (in cubes) then thrown into something like a curry.

I don’t have any special procedures. Open packet, pour off liquid, chop into pieces, marinate (or not) and cook.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I press it (I have a gadget to make it easy and mess free) and then freeze it, which makes it firmer. I then defrost and cut into chunks.

I vary in how I cook it, sometime marinading, sometimes dusting in cornflour, but my favourite way is to fry in a little oil as it comes and at the end add soy sauce and garlic to the pan. The tofu takes it up but I continue to cook to restore the crispiness.

• Oneka5
    Oneka5 Posts: 106 Member
    I need help with it too. I've only made tofu scramble. I had no idea tofu had so much liquid in it; i usually squeeze with my hands...then i cook in a pan with veggies. Lots of seasoning, lots of seasoning or else it tastes like nothing. I love the air fryer so maybe I will try that. As the person mentioned above i think marinating would help a whole lot. I will need to try that too.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I just started eating tofu. First, I always buy extra firm tofu. When I’m ready to cook it, I press it between paper towels/cutting boards with books on top for about 20 minutes, changing the paper towels about halfway through. Then I cut into bite-sized squares, coat with a small bit of oil and soy sauce, put in a baggie to coat with cornstarch and then bake for 30 minutes, flipping all the pieces over once halfway through. Then I add it to my recipe. Lately, I discovered already-baked tofu at Safeway! Sesame-ginger or teriyaki flavored. All you need to do is slice and heat, so much easier. It’s only a bit more expensive than normal tofu, and doesn’t keep as long in the fridge, but is a great time and labor saver.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’ve given up on Tofu, sick of buying it and pressing it, marinating it, cooking it and just feeling ‘meh’ when I eat it. Like you, though, I still wonder if it’s something I’m doing wrong or missing somehow!

At the end of the day, I’ve decided there are other things worth my time and effort that I vastly prefer to eat.

I tried Tofu once 35+ years ago, wrote it off because all it reminded me of was overcooked fried egg white (I do not like fried eggs).

Figured more recently that I should try again, so I did, several times, several methods. Still don’t like it! It’s still just rubbery and pointless! 😂

I’ll stick to Tempeh which is a million times easier and tastier!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    It's not a high taste thing. It's an inert thing, very neutral - almost too neutral. :lol:

I'm too lazy to go through all that pressing and draining stuff. I do one of 3(point-75) general things:

1. Buy extra firm tofu, cut it in small cubes (1/2"-1/4" maybe), put it under the broiler on a sprayed flat sheet pan until it's lightly brown, turning once (watch careful, because it goes from light brown to full carbon quickly). This makes little kind of dried-out cubes. Combine the dried-out cubes with something juicy and flavorful, like seasoned-up sauce-y stir fry. The little dried-out cubes will absorb sauce/flavor.

1.5. Same deal, but 1/4"-ish slices, for use as a neutral protein in a flavorful sandwich or the like.

1.75 Slices, egg coating, chickpea "panko" if you can get it, otherwise panko panko, and bake to browned, flipping once. Use in stuff, or just dip it in sauce.

2. Get silken tofu, blend it invisibly into things - soup, pudding, creamy salad dressings, hummus, scrambled eggs, lasagna layers, sauces, whatever. You can even blend a surprising amount of it with ripe avocados & seasoning, and have a result that still tastes like guac.

3. Buy smoked or baked tofu. I love smoked tofu, especially in sandwiches (with raw sauerkraut! :yum: ). The baked ones have a similar texture, but usually they're seasoned, and I don't like all the brands/variants, only some. It may take some experimenting.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I like firm, extra firm or sprouted tofu. I drain it, sometimes squeeze it in my hands a little, most of the time i don't even bother. My favorite way is to slice tofu into bite size pieces and pan fry it with whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for. Or whatever suits the meal. I use olive oil spray to lightly coat pan. Another easy and yummy way is to spoon some teriyaki sauce on top of sliced tofu and pan fry it as well. It's quick and tasty in the pan, comes out as crispy as i want and it absorbs teriyaki sauce without having to marinate it. My daughter makes scrambled tofu, often for breakfast, and it's so good!
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    If its the firm type, pressing is vital. Marinade helps impart it with flavour.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    I have been eating tofu almost daily for over ...15 years at least. I have bought the firm, sliced and pan fried witb cooking spray but usually my method is this-
    I primarily get silken, drain and put into a bowl. Then I put cinnamon, stevia and sometimes cocoa powder or even sugar free syrup on top. Mix and eat. That's it!
    I love the scrambles and teryaki tofu, blackened tofu made baking in oven and tofu curry. I have had" mock chicken" tofu that was so good! Usually that's from restaurant or health food store or Cafe.
    I suggest googling " tofu recipies and do search engines.
    I attached a picture of my method. Quite unorthodox but I love it!
    k02sr1rnaw6g.jpg
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I have been eating tofu almost daily for over ...15 years at least. I have bought the firm, sliced and pan fried witb cooking spray but usually my method is this-
    I primarily get silken, drain and put into a bowl. Then I put cinnamon, stevia and sometimes cocoa powder or even sugar free syrup on top. Mix and eat. That's it!
    I love the scrambles and teryaki tofu, blackened tofu made baking in oven and tofu curry. I have had" mock chicken" tofu that was so good! Usually that's from restaurant or health food store or Cafe.
    k02sr1rnaw6g.jpg

What a great idea! I eat tofu just about every single day but have never tried soft tofu, although I do sometimes eat firm tofu raw. Your photo has inspired me to try soft tofu with cinnamon and syrup. I already eat my air fried extra firm tofu dipped in syrup. :smile:
  • chris89topher
    I love tofu! I buy extra firm and eat it every day. I didn't read every reply here like I should have (oops), but one of the tricks with this stuff is to freeze it then thaw before cooking it. Freezing it changes the texture once it thaws and makes it a little more chewy. My method is to throw it into the freezer in the original packaging for at least 2 days, thaw in fridge, a quick squeeze by hand in a paper towel (elaborate pressing like most people do is completely necessary in my experience), then air fry for 8 minutes. I eat so much of the stuff that I always have multiple packages in the freezer and multiple thawing in the fridge. Gotta think ahead because a tofu free day is a bad day, lol.

I like it dipped in syrup, thrown into a salad, tossed into stir fry, etc. It's pretty much a blank canvas and takes on the flavor of what you cook it with. It's basically a texture thing. People either love it or hate it. It's very good for you!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Lots of good ideas here.

I'll add one - blend silken tofu with a tin of coconut milk. I then like to fold Pomegranate seeds and chunks of Pistachios in but you could add whatever fruit you like. Freeze. Have it as ice cream.
  • VegjoyP
    I love tofu! I buy extra firm and eat it every day. I didn't read every reply here like I should have (oops), but one of the tricks with this stuff is to freeze it then thaw before cooking it. Freezing it changes the texture once it thaws and makes it a little more chewy. My method is to throw it into the freezer in the original packaging for at least 2 days, thaw in fridge, a quick squeeze by hand in a paper towel (elaborate pressing like most people do is completely necessary in my experience), then air fry for 8 minutes. I eat so much of the stuff that I always have multiple packages in the freezer and multiple thawing in the fridge. Gotta think ahead because a tofu free day is a bad day, lol.

I like it dipped in syrup, thrown into a salad, tossed into stir fry, etc. It's pretty much a blank canvas and takes on the flavor of what you cook it with. It's basically a texture thing. People either love it or hate it. It's very good for you!

Yes! I accidently froze it when fridge was to high and loved it!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Wow! Brings a whole new meaning to “Let’s go Krogering”!!!

Thanks for the tips!!!!

I’m going to pick up some silken this afternoon. I imagined it as something else but this is interesting!
  • chris89topher
    edited July 2020

Because of you, I tried this tonight. It was so good!! Silken tofu with cinnamon and Lakanto sweetener (erythritol & munk fruit). I'm definitely making this a regular. I'm thinking it would be great with blueberries and strawberries. 👍

vc6i4hb2g1mx.jpg
  • VegjoyP
    Yes I like tofu 😋 lol!9kjphtxsur9n.jpg
    e3eu5glhbp9s.jpg

I think I may or may not have you beat. There are 6 containers per box. Hey, it's cheaper this way! This is a judgment free zone right?? Lol.

wz1i69o8vvk3.jpg

Where do you shop!? Thats awesome. I do share the refrigerator though. When I first went WFPB many years ago I bought it like that. My store was out for a ling time with COVID 19
  • VegjoyP

Because of you, I tried this tonight. It was so good!! Silken tofu with cinnamon and Lakanto sweetener (erythritol & munk fruit). I'm definitely making this a regular. I'm thinking it would be great with blueberries and strawberries. 👍

vc6i4hb2g1mx.jpg

Awesome, that makes me happy I was able to share!. I also use unsweetened ccacao powder/ stevia. Truvia and cinnamon. Ive used fennel powder, protein powder and strawbwrry sugar free syrup. Ive even treated myself with sugar free chocolate sauce but like it better without artificial and opt for cscao. You can melt dairy free dark chocolate instead. Powdered peanut butter is on my bucket list 😋
  • yapetron
    yapetron Posts: 13 Member
    Cut extra firm tofu into cubes, marinate in soy with minced ginger and garlic for about 10 mins. Bake on parchment at 425 until it's puffy and crispy. No oil needed. It's great on salad.