Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    Hello! I used to weigh 350, I lost 42 pounds, then had a gastric bypass...I got down to 183, and over the past year have creeped back up to 209.5. My goal weight is 163. I have a new grandbaby on the way...and I want to be healthy enough to all kinds of things with him or her. I am new (again) to MFP. I'd like some friends here for encouragement (and to give support). I look forward to getting to know you all.
    Hello! I used to weigh 350, I lost 42 pounds, then had a gastric bypass...I got down to 183, and over the past year have creeped back up to 209.5. My goal weight is 163. I have a new grandbaby on the way...and I want to be healthy enough to all kinds of things with him or her. I am new (again) to MFP. I'd like some friends here for encouragement (and to give support). I look forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome Moogieallen!
    This is such a great group of women with similar stories. We’re all here for each other.

Jill
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    I’ll get the weight check in started this Sunday.
    Start date 6/27/20
    SW-200
    CW- 198

So I lost 2lbs so far in the last 30 days. My daily calorie goals were initially set at 1700 and I am not eating back calories from exercise. My PT lowered my calorie goal to 1500 after 2.5 weeks with no loss. I actually only hit 1700 on 3 days. That was too much food for me. So currently I am working on 1500 with a 35, 35, 30 split for protein, carbs, and fat. I have a hard time reaching my protein goal (130g) so that is my primary focus right now. I have no problem staying at 1500 and usually end up in the 1300-1400 range unless I eat again before bed. I am strength training using body weight and bands 3 times a week and will be doing cardio 3 times a week.

I am keeping unhealthy foods out of the house. A good NSV for me is lower blood sugar levels with increased exercise and lower carb levels <130g daily. My fasting bs levels have been consistently 85-98 the past month!! So I will be doing my best to sticking with the plan even when the scale doesn’t always go down. The weight trending app is going to help a lot with that I think. I hope all of you ladies have a great Sunday! I am off to get my workouts in.
  • jm216
    eapar507 wrote: »
    I’ll get the weight check in started this Sunday.
    Start date 6/27/20
    SW-200
    CW- 198

So I lost 2lbs so far in the last 30 days. My daily calorie goals were initially set at 1700 and I am not eating back calories from exercise. My PT lowered my calorie goal to 1500 after 2.5 weeks with no loss. I actually only hit 1700 on 3 days. That was too much food for me. So currently I am working on 1500 with a 35, 35, 30 split for protein, carbs, and fat. I have a hard time reaching my protein goal (130g) so that is my primary focus right now. I have no problem staying at 1500 and usually end up in the 1300-1400 range unless I eat again before bed. I am strength training using body weight and bands 3 times a week and will be doing cardio 3 times a week.

I am keeping unhealthy foods out of the house. A good NSV for me is lower blood sugar levels with increased exercise and lower carb levels <130g daily. My fasting bs levels have been consistently 85-98 the past month!! So I will be doing my best to sticking with the plan even when the scale doesn’t always go down. The weight trending app is going to help a lot with that I think. I hope all of you ladies have a great Sunday! I am off to get my workouts in.

Awesome Ellen! Thanks for getting our Sunday check-in started! You are a great inspiration. 😁
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 228.9 on 6/1/2020
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 180
    6/1– 228.9
    6/4– 227.9
    6/9– 226.7
    6/14-225.3
    6/22-225.0
    6/28-224.2
    7/2– 223.3
    7/6– 223.2
    7/13– 221.6
    7/20–218.4
    7/26–217.7

Total weight lost: 11.2 pounds ☀️

This week’s successes: Logging. Starting this group!! 🥰 Spending time with family. Using the huge zucchini from my garden for air fryer zucchini fries and zucchini frittatas.
    Consistently walking my dog Roxie for 15 minutes each day.

This week's challenges: Mindless snacking at work... need to bring in carrots! Logging. Keeping on my weight loss roll. Get back to cutting the grass and yard work. Meal planning... need to do a Kroger Clicklist.
    Start planning for my son’s return to Central Michigan University in a few weeks.

Happy Sunday friends! ☮️ 💕 & 😄

Jill
  • eapar507
    I like how detailed your check in was Jill. Now that I am going to be weighing more I will try to be more detailed next week!! You are really rocking the weight loss, 11.2 lbs is incredible :smile:
  • jm216
    I like how detailed your check in was Jill. Now that I am going to be weighing more I will try to be more detailed next week!! You are really rocking the weight loss, 11.2 lbs is incredible :smile:

Thanks Ellen 😘
  • sherim1963
    sherim1963 Posts: 7 Member
    Sorry, I'm a little late checking in. As you know I just started My Fitness Pal on Thursday the 24th.
    I'm not really great at keeping myself accountable by recording my daily weight. I'll work on that. I hadn't weghed myself since Thursday.; but good news!! I am down from Thursday until today 3 lbs. 245 to 242! Thanks for your detailed check in Jill, and congratulations on your weight loss.🤗 It's all very inspiring!! Great job Ellen.😊 You are also very detailed in your post. I can see I have some work to do. Yesterday I went for a 40 minute walk and today I got some weights. So I'm ready to move!
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    edited July 2020
    Hi can I join too? I sound more like sherim1963 same height & always battled weight but it was a hell of a lot easier than now.

I had my kids quite late & despite weight falling off due to hyperemesis I still ended up 4 stone over with each. Almost got to my goal inbetween & then after 2nd as I required corrective surgery but that had complications & I piled weight on during a fairly immobie 5 month (instead of 1 month) recovery. Started too loose & train again- then fell at school & broke arm, turned out also torn & shredded tendon on rotator cuff but it didn't really show up making diagnosis difficult, less exercise then off again post surgery. Again almost at goal & perimenopause started- weight crept on, I tried & got disheartened so would give up then start again.
    I've got a lot of my shoulder mobility back. I struggle with backpain & muscles not firing evenly due to car accident & compensating- thus learning bad "muscle memory" habits. So plodding on with gym.
    Currently trying to loose lockdown stone so my work clothes fit- then I want about 3 more stone off my Christmas.
    Just altered diet on advice of personal trainer at gym ( they reopened yesterday in UK but could do outdoor PT 1:1 since end of May).

With you on the higher protein.

I've got between 80-90lb to loose
  • eapar507
    sherim1963 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm a little late checking in. As you know I just started My Fitness Pal on Thursday the 24th.
    I'm not really great at keeping myself accountable by recording my daily weight. I'll work on that. I hadn't weghed myself since Thursday.; but good news!! I am down from Thursday until today 3 lbs. 245 to 242! Thanks for your detailed check in Jill, and congratulations on your weight loss.🤗 It's all very inspiring!! Great job Ellen.😊 You are also very detailed in your post. I can see I have some work to do. Yesterday I went for a 40 minute walk and today I got some weights. So I'm ready to move!

Sherim great job at losing 3lbs!!! We all have to start somewhere, and making little changes can lead to other little changes and before you know it we are easing into a new healthier lifestyle. My biggest issue is remembering to put my self first sometimes because my health is worth it. You are worth it. Great job :smile:
  • eapar507
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    Hi can I join too? I sound more like sherim1963 same height & always battled weight but it was a hell of a lot easier than now.

I had my kids quite late & despite weight falling off due to hyperemesis I still ended up 4 stone over with each. Almost got to my goal inbetween & then after 2nd as I required corrective surgery but that had complications & I piled weight on during a fairly immobie 5 month (instead of 1 month) recovery. Started too loose & train again- then fell at school & broke arm, turned out also torn & shredded tendon on rotator cuff but it didn't really show up making diagnosis difficult, less exercise then off again post surgery. Again almost at goal & perimenopause started- weight crept on, I tried & got disheartened so would give up then start again.
    I've got a lot of my shoulder mobility back. I struggle with backpain & muscles not firing evenly due to car accident & compensating- thus learning bad "muscle memory" habits. So plodding on with gym.
    Currently trying to loose lockdown stone so my work clothes fit- then I want about 3 more stone off my Christmas.
    Just altered diet on advice of personal trainer at gym ( they reopened yesterday in UK but could do outdoor PT 1:1 since end of May).

Hi JoDavo welcome to the club. I am also working with a PT, but we don't do any face to face. It is my first time working with a PT and so far I like her and I think it helps keep me accountable. My gym is not reopening until we get to phase 3 and I have no idea when that will happen, so home workouts for me.

I am supplementing protein with shakes as I wouldn't even get to 100g without it. Meat for me is like the topping on my vegtables and I can't seem to eat more than 2-3 ounces at a meal.

Are you going for 2lbs a week loss? 80-90 pounds by Christmas seems like a lot, but I am a slow loser. I have a frozen left shoulder that I am dealing with currently so I can relate to your issues with past injuries. Hang in there and one step at a time the weight will come off.
  • jm216
    sherim1963 wrote: »

Way to go!!! 3 pounds is a wonderful start. I actually look forward to weighing myself everyday. I weigh myself 3 times in a row, then I take the average of those 3 weights and use that as my daily weigh in. My husband thinks I’m a little nuts. 🤣

• jm216
    JoDavo66 wrote: »

Welcome Jodavo66!
    It’s never too late to start something new! I had my 2 kids later in life, too. At 50, I have a 19 year old son, and a 15 year old daughter. I’m losing weight to keep up with them.

Jill💕
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Hi everyone. I'd like to join your group. I'm 62, married, mom of 2 daughters and grandma to 4 beautiful grandkids. I weighed my highest around 8 years ago, 235 pounds. I started working out 5 days a week (2 days doing Zumba, 3 days doing beach body workouts). I lost 70 pounds. Then life happened and I stopped working out and watching what I ate and now I'm back up over 200 lbs., 203.8! So I've decided to get back on track again. I'm 5'2" and my goal weight is 135 lbs. I'm looking for accountability friends to help me on this journey. I haven't been active at all for the last couple years due to disks problems in my lower back and a bad fall about 1 1/2 yrs ago that resulted in me having to have a total shoulder replacement. Yesterday I decided to start walking, my goal to start with is walking 1 mile a day and trying to get 6,000-7,000 steps per day. I'd like to eventually get 10,000 steps a day. I'm not really following any certain diet, just watching what I eat and trying to keep it as healthy as possible. My weight as of yesterday (7-26) is 203.8.
    Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.
  • jm216
    Welcome Grandrory!

I like how you’ve committed yourself to working out by walking. Walking is one of my favorite forms of exercise. It’s gentle on your joints and it’s so good for you. On rainy, or snowy days, I watch Leslie Sansone walking workouts on YouTube. She’s great. 👍

We’re so glad you’ve joined us on this journey!

🌸Jill
  • eapar507
    Hi Grandory. It is great to meet you. There are a few of us here that are in the same situation as you with needing to lose weight again. I agree with Jill walking is excellent and easy on the body. I have 4 grandchildren also!!! They will help keep you moving 😀.
  • grandrory
    jm216 wrote: »
    Welcome Grandrory!

I like how you’ve committed yourself to working out by walking. Walking is one of my favorite forms of exercise. It’s gentle on your joints and it’s so good for you. On rainy, or snowy days, I watch Leslie Sansone walking workouts on YouTube. She’s great. 👍

We’re so glad you’ve joined us on this journey!

🌸Jill

I've heard of Leslie Sansone but not familiar with her, I need to look her up. Yesterday I did good with my walking, got over a mile. I've downloaded an app on my phone that counts my steps plus I've got a trail marked that gives me 1 mile if I walk it twice.
  • grandrory
    Hi Grandory. It is great to meet you. There are a few of us here that are in the same situation as you with needing to lose weight again. I agree with Jill walking is excellent and easy on the body. I have 4 grandchildren also!!! They will help keep you moving 😀.

Hi eapar507. My grandkids ages are 20, 16, 14 and 13. They're at the age now where they'd rather hang out with friends than with grandma ☹️. We live out in the country, when they were younger they loved coming out here but now they say it's boring lol.

• eapar507
    grandrory wrote: »

Hi eapar507. My grandkids ages are 20, 16, 14 and 13. They're at the age now where they'd rather hang out with friends than with grandma ☹️. We live out in the country, when they were younger they loved coming out here but now they say it's boring lol.

[/quote]

I know what you mean. Mine are 19, 13, 4, and 2. I see the two little ones much more often. But I live just 5 minutes away from my daughter so I have an advantage lol.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    edited July 2020
    Is this a ladies only club?
    If not then I wouldn't mind joining your merry band...
    The name is Tone.
    56 years old.
    6' 4" tall and not far off that around...lol.
    337.4 pounds when i weighed myself on Sunday morning.
    My goal weight is a very long way off at 196 pounds!
    I have been logging for 3 weeks now and have shed 16 pounds so far.
    I weigh myself each Sunday morning and take measurements on the first Sunday of the month.
  • grandrory
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Is this a ladies only club?
    If not then I wouldn't mind joining your merry band...
    The name is Tone.
    56 years old.
    6' 4" tall and not far off that around...lol.
    337.4 pounds when i weighed myself on Sunday morning.
    My goal weight is a very long way off at 196 pounds!
    I have been logging for 3 weeks now and have shed 16 pounds so far.
    I weigh myself each Sunday morning and take measurements on the first Sunday of the month.

Hi Tone. I can't answer your question as I just joined yesterday but I didn't see anything that stated women only.
    Wow, 16 pound loss in 3 weeks is awesome👍🏼. Sounds like you got this! Do you workout? I've started walking. Try to walk 1 mile a day and aim to get 7,000-10,000 steps a day. I'd like to eventually start some kind of workout besides walking but I figure that's a good starting point 🙂.