Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Cool summer morning. Haven't had many of those. Friend and I took our pups for a 6 mile hike. Beautiful.

Trying to keep up with the water. Drinking between 80-100 a day. Should be more, but that's all I drink. NO other beverages, so I get in what I can.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Some serious veggies making an appearance on here.....
    Well for me today was not great calorie wise. About 130 over but;
    (A) I have been sailing all day and am knackered
    (B) I thoroughly enjoyed my meal when I got home
    (C) I don't care, back on track tomorrow!
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Some serious veggies making an appearance on here.....
    Well for me today was not great calorie wise. About 130 over but;
    (A) I have been sailing all day and am knackered
    (B) I thoroughly enjoyed my meal when I got home
    (C) I don't care, back on track tomorrow!

That is the right attitude. Get right back on track. Anyway as long as your weekly calorie total is on point one off day doesn’t really matter.

I am making sure that how I eat now is how I will eat in maintenance. No specific foods are completely off limits as long as I can fit them into my calorie and macro goals 😊
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,711 Member
    My cheesy zucchini bake turned out to be super watery. 🤨 I guess I need to stick with Air fryer Zucchini fritata and air fryer zucchini fries.

I am so done with zucchini right now anyway. I love it... just overdid it.
    Jill
  • cpnknight

eapar507 wrote: »
    I am making sure that how I eat now is how I will eat in maintenance. No specific foods are completely off limits as long as I can fit them into my calorie and macro goals 😊

I have always been a "big eater", I love food and was quite happy, in the past, to eat merely because I was enjoying what I was eating. Being hungry or even full had little bearing on whether I would eat or not.
    That wasn't so bad when I was able to work. I held down three jobs, all physical labour, so burnt off all the excess calories. Unfortunately this is no longer the case but the appetite for food remains.
    I think my attitude towards food will never change, I firmly believe that this site will become my "medication" for obesity. I will probably have to log my intake for the rest of my life to ensure that I do not pile on the pounds again!
  • jm216
    eapar507 wrote: »

I have always been a "big eater", I love food and was quite happy, in the past, to eat merely because I was enjoying what I was eating. Being hungry or even full had little bearing on whether I would eat or not.
    That wasn't so bad when I was able to work. I held down three jobs, all physical labour, so burnt off all the excess calories. Unfortunately this is no longer the case but the appetite for food remains.
    I think my attitude towards food will never change, I firmly believe that this site will become my "medication" for obesity. I will probably have to log my intake for the rest of my life to ensure that I do not pile on the pounds again!

Eating in mondration is one of my challenges also. If something tastes good, it’s hard to stop. My nemesis is potato chips. I love them with sandwiches. If I could just stick to one portion, that would be amazing. Chips never satisfy me, and that’s why I eat an entire bag sometimes. This is my work in progress... moderation.
  • jm216
    @cpnknight I will also be logging forever. This is my check in with myself, and it’s no longer a chore. 🙂

@rabdj6280 that’s awesome that you’ve discovered new trails and new places to explore.❤️
  • jm216
    Happy Thursday my 50’s and plus friends!
    Today is my yard day— grass cutting, weed whacking, and possibly edging the sidewalk and driveway... if I have energy left. I LOVE being outside!! Today it’s only going to hit 80 degrees, so once the dew dries from the grass, I’ll be out there.

This is my favorite form of exercise. What is yours?

Jill☀️
  • jm216
    So excited... just had to share with you:
    8em9m6epl6dj.jpeg
    Time to happy dance!!

Jill 💃🏻
  • cpnknight
    edited July 2020
    jm216 wrote: »
    Today is my yard day— grass cutting, weed whacking, and possibly edging the sidewalk and driveway... if I have energy left. I LOVE being outside!! Today it’s only going to hit 80 degrees, so once the dew dries from the grass, I’ll be out there.

Jill☀️
    Only 80 degrees!....that is about as hot as this Brit is willing to put up with. Anything hotter is just plain uncivilised.
    My hobbies used to include football (that's real association football for our American friends), golf, rugby and quite a bit of running in my youth but all of these things have been curtailed by injuries etc.
    Now I try to get out sailing when I can and playing games with the kids. I am considering making the workshop into a mini gym. Just some dumbbells, bench and an elliptical trainer but it will help a lot with training etc.
  • pandygirl1
    pandygirl1 Posts: 87 Member
    I restarted on MFP and my weight-loss journey on July 27, 2020. Was only on MFP a few weeks before leaving. I'm back and more determined to have a healthier lifestyle.
    Changing my eating habits, to a more healthier one. More vegetables and some fruit, and whole grains, along with somes beans/legumes. Very little meat. I'm kind of tried of eating meat, so I decided to eat more vegetables, and other healthier foods.
    I'm 57 years old and ready for a change in my life for the better.

Wishing everyone on here the best on your journey.

• jm216
    pandygirl1 wrote: »
    I restarted on MFP and my weight-loss journey on July 27, 2020. Was only on MFP a few weeks before leaving. I'm back and more determined to have a healthier lifestyle.
    Changing my eating habits, to a more healthier one. More vegetables and some fruit, and whole grains, along with somes beans/legumes. Very little meat. I'm kind of tried of eating meat, so I decided to eat more vegetables, and other healthier foods.
    I'm 57 years old and ready for a change in my life for the better.

Wishing everyone on here the best on your journey.
    Welcome Pandgyirl1,

We’re so happy you’re here!! We’re a fun group that supports each other in our journey to better health. To keep eachother accountable we check in on Sunday with stats, or Non-scale victories... whatever you’re comfortable with.

Welcome to the 50’s and plus crew!!

Jill 🥰
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    We've lived in the same house for the last 11 years.... and I went for what was going to be a short 1 mile walk... instead.... I saw a dirt road behind the school... so I took it. I walked and met a man who lives at the end of the dirt road. He said there were running trails through the woods that the school uses for cross-country running... well dang... who knew? SO, my short mile walk ended up being a 3.5 mile walk and I had a blast.

Short story... who never know what you will find when you take a new path.

Awesome. I would have loved that. Trails, good neighbors, country roads.
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    @jm216 I love gardening both vegetable and flower. Next favorite hobby is hiking and I love keeping aquariums. Spending time with my grandchildren is also a priority. I just love them all so much.

Happy Thursday to everyone and hello to all the new comers to the thread. I hope everyone is having a good day and making progress towards your goals.
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    grandrory wrote: »
    When I get off of here i'll send you a friend request. I'd love to have friends that will hold me accountable.

By all means do, I am more than happy to have friends with similar goals to my own.
    I have morphine to deal with most of my pain but the impact of the high intensity walking does get me quite bad. This is why I am going for the elliptical, low impact exercise. I am also going to get a set of dumbbells to try to get my upper body more to how it used to be.

My husband was on morphine for quiet awhile to deal with his pain from liver cancer. He hated how it made him feel. Once medical marijuana was approved in our state he got his license for that and uses that now. He was able to quit taking the morphine. Pain meds make him feel so groggy and leave him with no energy. He's doing better with smoking marijuana, it helps his pain without the negative side effects. I've been wanting to start strength training for my upper body as well. I've got dumbbells, just need to get motivated to begin. After my shoulder replacement I wasn't able to lift anything heavy, now that it's healed I need to get started.
  • grandrory
    My goals for Wednesday 7/29

Walk 1 mile: yes
    Drink 64 oz water: no
    Track/log everything I eat: yes
    7,000-10,000 steps: no. 3,718

I have a hard time drinking water. Have never been a big water drinker. Any advice on how to get my water in?
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    So excited... just had to share with you:
    8em9m6epl6dj.jpeg
    Time to happy dance!!

Jill 💃🏻

YEAH what app is this you are showing us?

Jill☀️

I used to like to cut grass but my back doesn't.... ended up having to hire someone... I HATE this. oh well... dang arthritis. I like being outside as well, just as long as the humidity isn't to overwhelming. Should be a good day here today. Maybe rain later BONUS..... I love walking, slow, fast either way... depends on my mood and music selection. lol
  • grandrory
    My cheesy zucchini bake turned out to be super watery. 🤨 I guess I need to stick with Air fryer Zucchini fritata and air fryer zucchini fries.

I am so done with zucchini right now anyway. I love it... just overdid it.
    Jill
    Have you made zucchini bread? I've never made it but have a friend that makes it. It's so yummy!

• grandrory
    @jm216 doing yard work is my favorite form of exercise also. I love being outside. Every night right before dark hubby and I walk around the yard. Our yard is 1.5 acres so it's a nice walk, we talk about what our next project will be lol. I think both of us were born to be outdoor people 😁.