• grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    My goals for today July 28

Walk 1 mile: yes
    Take 7,000-10,000 steps: no 4,446
    Drink 64 oz water: no
    Tracked & logged everything I ate: yes
    Worked on building next years garden: no

Wasn't a good day. Messed up my back yesterday. I've got some bulging disks in my low back and last couple days been working on fixing a place to plant a garden next year and guess I irritated those disks. Had a pretty painful night last night so didn't get a lot of sleep so today I've been kind of taking it easy. Luckily we had some storms come in (we sure needed the rain) so I took that as a sign to rest my back 🙂. We live out in the country and the spot we've chosen for our garden is pretty growed up with high weeds and fallen tree limbs. It's at the edge of the yard right before you go into the woods so I've been pulling weeds, raking leaves and trying to remove tree limbs. Hubby's been working on removing tree stumps out of the yard so he can start cutting wood for this winter so we're both thankful for the break this rain is giving us.
    Hope everyone is doing good. I'll try to be here more tomorrow.
  • grandrory
    @jm216 i love the picture of your dog. She's a beauty! I bet she's a good walking buddy.
  • grandrory
    @cpnknight I've got an elliptical, it kicks my butt lol. I'm lucky to get 5 min on the darn thing! Because of back problems I haven't been on it in a couple years. About 1 1/2 years ago I took a bad fall and ended up having to have a complete shoulder replacement and on top of having disks problems in my back I haven't been very active at all the last couple years. I've decided I need to start moving again. I hope the more active I am the easier it will become. You're the 3rd person that has mentioned Leslie Sansone. I'd never heard of her before, I need to look her up on you tube.
    When I get off of here i'll send you a friend request. I'd love to have friends that will hold me accountable.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    grandrory wrote: »
    When I get off of here i'll send you a friend request. I'd love to have friends that will hold me accountable.

By all means do, I am more than happy to have friends with similar goals to my own.
    I have morphine to deal with most of my pain but the impact of the high intensity walking does get me quite bad. This is why I am going for the elliptical, low impact exercise. I am also going to get a set of dumbbells to try to get my upper body more to how it used to be.
  • LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    The week so far:
    Monday: was running a bit late to get to work so didn't eat breakfast (not unusual for me) but I grabbed some nuts to eat mid morning which was not so bad. I did pack a salad lunch to take with me & although I went slightly off in the evening with a lateish packet of crisps (potato chips) I was within calorie goal.
    Tuesday: Took breakfast to work with me - this has worked really well as I often don't want to eat when I first wake up but being able to eat around an hour or two later is good for me & then keeps me full for a longtime. I'm working slightly different patterns at the moment & actually a good mid-morning breakfast + a snack keeps me going till I get home & I then eat dinner earlier. Under calories by quite a lot & stressed about that but didn't feel at all hungry
    Wednesday: Breakfast as yesterday - eaten around 9:45am will keep me going till I gethome - I have a couple of snack options if I feel I need them

Biggest challenges at the moment:
    1. I am only grocery shopping once every 3-4 weeks due to the COVID-19 so I have to get a bit creative with food towards the end of the time as fresh salad etc doesn't keep so I will eat tons of salad etc for a week, then none for 2-3 weeks till I can shop again ... this is a symptom of the current circumstances, I usually shop much more frequently. I am making good use of frozen veg etc but missing fresh salad (which I usually eats loads of in summer!) & my diet is definitely less varied than usual (I am also trying to eat up foods I have in, even if they aren't always the best nutritional choices but that's ok for the short term)
    2. Over dependence on Diet Coke - I am a bit of a camel & have drunk very very little my whole life. At least I am intaking some fluid even if its not the best & the cans mean I have to finish it rather than putting it to the side after 1-2 sips.Drinking more water is something I will start focussing on again in a few weeks time when I can add something else to my focus!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Good morning Fit at 50 and Beyond buddies!

@lucybzz mentioned her over dependence on Diet Coke. I can totally understand that. I grew up with pop/soda every day. I chalk that up to being a 70’s kid.

I was drinking so much caffeine in my 30’s. I’d start the day drinking a pot of coffee, then drink two pops in the afternoon and finish with another pot of coffee at around 4 in the afternoon. I was getting terrible migraines and other headaches. I finally figured out that I was insane with caffeine.

Now I drink decaf and have given up pop completely. I drink a ton more water. My head feels so much better.

Jill ☕️
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    jm216 wrote: »

@lucybzz mentioned her over dependence on Diet Coke. I can totally understand that. I grew up with pop/soda every day. I chalk that up to being a 70’s kid.

I was drinking so much caffeine in my 30’s. I’d start the day drinking a pot of coffee, then drink two pops in the afternoon and finish with another pot of coffee at around 4 in the afternoon. I was getting terrible migraines and other headaches. I finally figured out that I was insane with caffeine.

Now I drink decaf and have given up pop completely. I drink a ton more water. My head feels so much better.

Jill ☕️

Jill, how on earth???? lol. I used to drink coffee all day long, but now I've cut back to two cups in the morning and one in the afternoon.... not sure I can... ok.. not sure i WANT to give it up completely. I do drink 3-4 litres of water a day. Sodas... very rarely... I do like Vernor's ginger ale.... I guess besides my coffee that's my vice.
  • jm216
    RandJ6280 wrote: »

Jill ☕️

Jill, how on earth???? lol. I used to drink coffee all day long, but now I've cut back to two cups in the morning and one in the afternoon.... not sure I can... ok.. not sure i WANT to give it up completely. I do drink 3-4 litres of water a day. Sodas... very rarely... I do like Vernor's ginger ale.... I guess besides my coffee that's my vice.

3 cups of coffee a day is not bad at all. Plus, you drink a ton of water. I usually have 1-3 cups of decaf each day, depending if I’m at work or not.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    smsyon3x7r2g.jpeg

That was one HUGE zucchini from my garden. I should have weighed it before I prepped it. The tomatoes and basil are also from my little garden. Happy summer veggies! 🧑🏻‍🍳

That is one big zucchini or courgette as we,'d call them
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    smsyon3x7r2g.jpeg

That was one HUGE zucchini from my garden. I should have weighed it before I prepped it. The tomatoes and basil are also from my little garden. Happy summer veggies! 🧑🏻‍🍳

I love gardening too. That looks so yummy Jill. I often snack on the cucumbers from my garden. They are so delicious and have so few calories. I took this photo last night of all the tomatoes I harvested the past couple of days, and the sweet corn, so good!!.62grpuy7fkm2.jpeg

• eapar507

Jill ☕️

I am with Rand. Coffee is not something I am ready to give up. I have 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I do need to drink more water. Does diet green tea count?
  • eapar507
    I forgot to check my garden for just a couple days last week and I got a huge cucumber that was hiding from me lol
    emsgnpt89cb3.jpeg
    qdoyau5k1h4i.jpeg

• RandJ6280
    eapar507 wrote: »
    I forgot to check my garden for just a couple days last week and I got a huge cucumber that was hiding from me lol
    emsgnpt89cb3.jpeg
    qdoyau5k1h4i.jpeg

WOW how can that hide from anyone? lol. That would look great n a salad or a sandwich.
  • RandJ6280

Jill ☕️

I am with Rand. Coffee is not something I am ready to give up. I have 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I do need to drink more water. Does diet green tea count?

Think we should sit down over a cup of coffee and talk about this lol.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Actually a lovely day here- after miserable start to the week.

Trying to watch what I eat in terms of carbs as still having too many- massive tuna salad at lunch with the bulk of the calories coming from the tuna.

@LucyBzz & @jm216 fizzy drinks esp coke one of my downfalls too. Probably also as I grew up 70s. I only drink diet & if possible decaf but even so- that sweet taste makes you want more. I'm trying to stick to posh bottle sparkling water- but I hate that it's in plastic bottles in UK. I don't suppose it helped that my Mum drank coke when pregnant with me & as I had hyperemesis, the Consultant told me to drink the full sugar variety.🤯

@cpnknight - not as extensive as reconstruction but I had some shoulder surgery a few years back- now with shortened tendon which meant restricted movement but through the gym I'm still continuing to increase my movement range. I also have lower back issues- now due to muscle stiffness but this originated from a bad rear end RTA 2 years ago.
    I'm not running yet but I found elliptical brilliant when I started up cardio again- it just takes the pressure off.

I just need a huge dose of motivation.
    Although I was back at work physically for a while, working from home when I crave routine has not been good for my brain.

Managed to book a few days away for our summer holiday (posh hotel, seriously reduced prices because they usually have business conferences weddings & airport stop overs- none of which are happening much)- so I am using that as incentive to get things done which at least involves moving instead of reading or box set binge!
  • RandJ6280
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    Actually a lovely day here- after miserable start to the week.

Trying to watch what I eat in terms of carbs as still having too many- massive tuna salad at lunch with the bulk of the calories coming from the tuna.

Although I was back at work physically for a while, working from home when I crave routine has not been good for my brain.

Managed to book a few days away for our summer holiday (posh hotel, seriously reduced prices because they usually have business conferences weddings & airport stop overs- none of which are happening much)- so I am using that as incentive to get things done which at least involves moving instead of reading or box set binge!

Did you say "tuna"? lol, that is what I plan on having for lunch here shortly. lol.... sans bread.... I've had more than enough bread already his week.
    Holiday? I'm guessing that perhaps you might be from the UK? I was in England YEARS ago when I was in the US Air Force, I loved my time there.
  • jm216
    smsyon3x7r2g.jpeg

I love gardening too. That looks so yummy Jill. I often snack on the cucumbers from my garden. They are so delicious and have so few calories. I took this photo last night of all the tomatoes I harvested the past couple of days, and the sweet corn, so good!!.62grpuy7fkm2.jpeg

Looks so yummy and healthy!! ❤️ 🌽 🥒 🍅
  • jm216
    emsgnpt89cb3.jpeg
    qdoyau5k1h4i.jpeg

I almost fell over laughing at your picture!!🤣
    My Zucchini was the same... didn’t check it for a week than BAM giant squash!
  • jm216

Jill ☕️

Think we should sit down over a cup of coffee and talk about this lol.

🤣🤣🤣
  • LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    JoDavo66 wrote: »

@LucyBzz & @jm216 fizzy drinks esp coke one of my downfalls too. Probably also as I grew up 70s. I only drink diet & if possible decaf but even so- that sweet taste makes you want more. I'm trying to stick to posh bottle sparkling water- but I hate that it's in plastic bottles in UK.

It’s good to have another Brit here!
    I am trying to drink at least 50% of my Diet Coke Caffeine Free but it’s nowhere near as widely available and often more expensive (well not on offer anyway). I don’t drink tea/coffee or basically anything else but Diet Coke & water and I have a terrible habit with water of having one or two sips putting the lid back on and then leaving it for the rest of the day – at least with cans of Coke I finish them!
    Is there a reason you feel you are eating too many carbs?

That’s great about the reduced price hotel - have fun!