Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Yesterday I decided to color my hair, too much gray was showing! I went with dark brown cause that's my natural color but...it turned out too dark! I'm not happy with it ☹️. My daughter says I can re-color it with 1 or 2 shades lighter but I'm afraid of coloring again so soon. Don't want to fry my hair. I so miss going to my hair dresser but with COVID-19 I'm afraid to go anywhere except to buy groceries. Hubby is recovering from cancer plus a diabetic so don't won't to bring any "bugs" home. I'll be so glad when all this crap is over! It's not bad when I can be outside but last couple days it's been raining so I've been stuck inside the house. I'm getting cabin fever bad! Before the virus I'd go to Walmart or somewhere but stopped doing that. I get nervous being around crowds these days and I detest having to wear a mask! I'm thankful for the rain we're getting, we really needed it but if it doesn't stop soon I'm going to go stir crazy!
  • grandrory
    @jm216 congratulations on your weight loss. Wow 11 pounds down, that's quiet an accomplishment🎉
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Did you say "tuna"? lol, that is what I plan on having for lunch here shortly. lol.... sans bread.... I've had more than enough bread already his week.
    Holiday? I'm guessing that perhaps you might be from the UK? I was in England YEARS ago when I was in the US Air Force, I loved my time there.

Yes to Tuna.
    Where were you based in UK?
    We lived near some US Air bases about 30 years ago.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Well done on those weight losses.

I reset mine last week. Hope tomorrow brings improvement.

I haven't quite got the hang of this food plan- it would work better if I was at work. Getting a bit fed up of soup at the moment- hoping for alternative suggestion for next week. Although I found this protein soup mix in Lidl that I'd had in my freezer for ages & had that tonight. It was really good.
  • grandrory
    The sun actually came out for a little while today but unfortunately it brought a whole lot of humidity with it, temperature gage says 87 degrees but it feels like mid to upper 90's. I brought in all my hummingbird feeders and washed them up and refilled them. For such little birds they sure can eat a lot lol. If the sun keeps shinning hoping it will dry up the yard some so I can get back out there. Still have a lot that needs done. Hope everyone is having an awesome day!
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    Happy Friday everyone!! It has been a busy week for me. I am so glad for Friday. I hope to finish up at 12:30 today and get out a little early.
    On the diet and exercise fronts I have done well this week. Happy Scale tells me my current rate of loss is 1.4 lbs per week. I’ll take that 😊 I have gotten 2 strength training workouts and I elliptical since Sunday and will hop on the elliptical tonight. That will bring my exercise total to 130 hr for the week. Not too bad.
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    grandrory wrote: »
    Yesterday I decided to color my hair, too much gray was showing! I went with dark brown cause that's my natural color but...it turned out too dark! I'm not happy with it ☹️. My daughter says I can re-color it with 1 or 2 shades lighter but I'm afraid of coloring again so soon. Don't want to fry my hair. I so miss going to my hair dresser but with COVID-19 I'm afraid to go anywhere except to buy groceries. Hubby is recovering from cancer plus a diabetic so don't won't to bring any "bugs" home. I'll be so glad when all this crap is over! It's not bad when I can be outside but last couple days it's been raining so I've been stuck inside the house. I'm getting cabin fever bad! Before the virus I'd go to Walmart or somewhere but stopped doing that. I get nervous being around crowds these days and I detest having to wear a mask! I'm thankful for the rain we're getting, we really needed it but if it doesn't stop soon I'm going to go stir crazy!

I know exactly how you feel. I haven’t been to the hair dresser since February and I am in a desperate need for a cut and color. I have grey roots and I hate it. I may end up doing it myself soon. It will be raining here for the next 4 days so I will be mostly stuck inside. I am praying this COVID calms down and a vaccine is developed soon. I think we are all getting weary.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Some good news on the exercise front from the "Blighty" side of the pond. I have just scored a nice little elliptical trainer.
    Hoping to increase the frequency of my exercising now that I have a low impact option!

• cpnknight
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Some good news on the exercise front from the "Blighty" side of the pond. I have just scored a nice little elliptical trainer.
    Hoping to increase the frequency of my exercising now that I have a low impact option!

And now a set of second hand dumbbells have been scored too....
    Just need the bench now!
  • grandrory
    eapar507 wrote: »
    Happy Friday everyone!! It has been a busy week for me. I am so glad for Friday. I hope to finish up at 12:30 today and get out a little early.
    On the diet and exercise fronts I have done well this week. Happy Scale tells me my current rate of loss is 1.4 lbs per week. I’ll take that 😊 I have gotten 2 strength training workouts and I elliptical since Sunday and will hop on the elliptical tonight. That will bring my exercise total to 130 hr for the week. Not too bad.
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I lost 0.4 this week. I need to re-figure my eating habits. Wow, such dedication with the workouts, way to go👍🏼. I've put in 1 hour 45 min on the treadmill this week. This is my first week with working out. I'm hoping to increase that time next week. Keep up the good work! Have a great weekend.
  • grandrory
    Good for you with getting an elliptical. I know you've been wanting one. Hope it helps with your workouts!

• grandrory
    Happy Friday everyone! We had another big rain last night, I was hoping for things to start drying out but on the bright side this rain has brought in much cooler weather! We were having temps in the mid-upper 90's and today only suppose to be 82. I'll take that for end of July!
    I'm going to re-color my hair today, going with a light brown. I'm hoping that on top of this dark brown will even it out to a medium brown 🤞🏼. We'll see lol.
    My goals yesterday 7/30...
    Walk 1 mile: yes
    Drink 64 oz water: no
    Track/log everything I eat: yes
    Take 7,000-10,000 steps: yes 8,208
    I'll need to set some new goals for August.
    Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Hello everyone, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I RESTARTED my weight loss journey by visiting an Orthopedic Surgeon on 6/17/20. Due to my weight I was not eligible for bilateral knee replacement surgery for fear of anesthesia complications. So he wanted to begin shots, which if my insurance did not pay for would be $1,000 per knee. Of course the insurance would not pay for it! Therefore, I told them this morning that I would continue to lost weight with a goal date of April 2021. I need to lose 100 lbs. for the surgery. It is my hope that when I go for my April appointment that he will say my weight loss has terminated the need for surgery. What a goal! I started Intermittent Fasting (eating from noon to 8:00 p.m.), and have found it not stressful at all. Anybody else out there using this eating regimen?

My starting weight at the Dr.'s office was 319 (ouch)
    Height: 5' 3"
    Goal Weight: 219
    Weigh in today (7/31/20): 301.2
    Total Weight Loss: 18.6 lbs.

This week's successes:
    -Weight numbers going down!
    -Logging on MFP

This week's challenges:
    -eating out at friends (I actually took my own meal once)
    -Logging in consistently (so far 5 days straight)
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Tony here ~ hi, and welcome to the end of July. Sadly July didn't go completely as planned. While I still ost weight overall... I didn't hit my goal of being under 220. I finished this morning at 223.5

Height: 5' 8"
    Heaviest Weight 244.0
    Goal Weight: 190
    Weigh in today (7/31/20): 223.5
    Total Weight Loss: 20.5

This week's successes:
    -Exercised twice - not what I wanted but better than 1 or zero times. I like the glass is half full

This week's challenges:
    - Eating out to much
    - Achy knees and back
  • grandrory
    Hello everyone, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I RESTARTED my weight loss journey by visiting an Orthopedic Surgeon on 6/17/20. Due to my weight I was not eligible for bilateral knee replacement surgery for fear of anesthesia complications. So he wanted to begin shots, which if my insurance did not pay for would be $1,000 per knee. Of course the insurance would not pay for it! Therefore, I told them this morning that I would continue to lost weight with a goal date of April 2021. I need to lose 100 lbs. for the surgery. It is my hope that when I go for my April appointment that he will say my weight loss has terminated the need for surgery. What a goal! I started Intermittent Fasting (eating from noon to 8:00 p.m.), and have found it not stressful at all. Anybody else out there using this eating regimen?

This week's successes:
    -Logging on MFP

This week's challenges:
    Hi and welcome. You can do this! April is 8 months away and sounds like you're doing great with already losing over 18 pounds! You've got this!
    I guess you could say I'm intermitten fasting but not intentionally lol. I'm not a breakfast person so usually I'll eat dinner then nothing till the next afternoon. I'm just not hungry in the mornings.
    Now that I've started working out...I try to walk 1 mile a day and thinking of increasing it to 2-3 miles a day I've been thinking of trying to eat something in the mornings. I have a friend who was losing 10-15 pounds a month doing keto. I tried it, only lasted about 4 months lol. It was hard for me to keep my carbs down to 20 grams a day or less. So now I'm basically eating what I want and try not to go over my calories and watch the fat.
  • grandrory
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Tony here ~ hi, and welcome to the end of July. Sadly July didn't go completely as planned. While I still ost weight overall... I didn't hit my goal of being under 220. I finished this morning at 223.5

Height: 5' 8"
    Heaviest Weight 244.0
    Goal Weight: 190
    Weigh in today (7/31/20): 223.5
    Total Weight Loss: 20.5

This week's successes:
    -Exercised twice - not what I wanted but better than 1 or zero times. I like the glass is half full

This week's challenges:
    - Eating out to much
    - Achy knees and back
    I didn't have the best of July's either. I was hoping to lose 5 or 6 pounds instead I only lost 0.4. But I'm just going to pull myself up, brush it off and start a brand new month tomorrow.
    We got this!!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,712 Member
    🍃 Happy August 1st my 50+ friends! 🍃

Welcome newbies and welcome back good friends. I always enjoy reading your posts. 😁

Today is a great day to set your healthy goals for August. Make sure to include non-scale victories(NSV) as well.

✏️ NSV—continue to walk Roxie for 15 minutes a day with my hand weight gloves. Increase walks to 2x per day...she loves it.

✏️ Food— Get chips down to one portion per day...if at all. Keep up with the fruits and veggies.

✏️ Weight—There are 4 1/2 weeks in August... I’m shooting for a 4 1/2 pound loss.

✏️ MFP— Keep communicating with this amazing group of friends and continue my logging streak since June 1, 2020.

What are your goals? Small and big?
    Don’t forget that Sunday is our check in day.

Happy August 🍃 🍁 🍂
    I look forward to seeing you all here.

Jill 🌳
  • cpnknight
    My new goals will be set after weight and measure day tomorrow but I do now have an elliptical trainer and some dumbbells so the exercise regime should increase and my personal virtual walk around Britain should start to make more headway!
  • jm216
    My new goals will be set after weight and measure day tomorrow but I do now have an elliptical trainer and some dumbbells so the exercise regime should increase and my personal virtual walk around Britain should start to make more headway!

That’s so awesome!!! It’s so much fun to have new exercise tools to play with! Enjoy your virtual walk. 🚶🏼
  • jm216

This week's successes:
    -Logging on MFP

This week's challenges:

Welcome home Fabricwoman! 🥰