Can I eat granola?

I am starting a FODMAP elimination diet and trying to figure out what I can change before I start. Is there any granola that is low FODMAP? I have been searching and am getting frustrated. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Are you allergic to something in granola?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    A quick search shows a lot of brands that claim to be low FODMAP. It looks like the gluten free ones are your best bet. If you're not opposed to making your own granola, I saw a TON of recipes that are low FODMAP.

@harper16, the low FODMAP diet is an elimination diet used to detect allergies and intolerances that are causing gastrointestinal issues. So, the poster wouldn't know yet if they are allergic to something in the granola.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited July 2020
    There seem to be quite a few FodMap friendly sites out there - here's one:
    https://tararochfordnutrition.com/low-fodmap-granola-with-big-clusters/

Is there something you are definitely trying to avoid?

However, since it's an elimination, you might want to avoid oats, etc., Maybe try a Paleo friendly type of granola (grain free)? Lots of those too on line (recipes or products to purchase).
    https://www.lafourmibionique.com/en/produit/grain-free-granola-nutbrown-vitality/?gclid=CjwKCAjw34n5BRA9EiwA2u9k3y6hMzecxvItFwYyG8ijuVyDd3m73TT8hkYRxbQDR5UaYTYcsRWFGBoCErEQAvD_BwE
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    A quick search shows a lot of brands that claim to be low FODMAP. It looks like the gluten free ones are your best bet. If you're not opposed to making your own granola, I saw a TON of recipes that are low FODMAP.

@harper16, the low FODMAP diet is an elimination diet used to detect allergies and intolerances that are causing gastrointestinal issues. So, the poster wouldn't know yet if they are allergic to something in the granola.

Sorry, I should of asked if there was something in granola like a common ingredient that she's worried about.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    It might be easiest to make your own, as from what I remember you cannot have raisins/sultanas on fodmap and have to be careful with a lot of artificial sweeteners. There is a Monash app which is really helpful for low fodmap diets.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    As someone with now-controlled IBS and experience in FODMAP diet: depends on the granola. Be prepared to spend a while at the granola aisle of your grocery store looking at ingredient lists. Locally (Finland) there are a few I can have, but most I can’t. For me personally it’s enough to avoid gluten-containing cereals and some individual trigger foods (chickpeas, lentils, beetroot), but most fodmap foods I can eat just fine.

Also echoing @SuzySunshine99 that gluten free is likely your best and only direction. This is where it gets tricky: gluten is a protein, but the carbs of cereals containing gluten are FODMAP carbs, which leads to practically eating gluten free. Still, many gluten-free products and products that advertise being wheat free or made of oats (big trend here) contain barley carbs in some form, so I need to be very careful reading the labels.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I don’t know about FODMAP friendly, but I like Dorset Cereal muesli.