Women 200lb+, Let's Be Extra Awesome This August!!!

Replies

• lovinlilly
    lovinlilly Posts: 10 Member
    Alison
    53 years old
    5'9''

Starting Weight: 238
    Lowest Weight: 130

8/2
    8/7:
    8/14:
    8/21:
    8/28:

GW for August 31st: 230

Hi there!
    I'm new to this group but not new to MFP. About 7 years ago I lost about 55 pounds on MFP by tracking and by joining a group with weekly weigh ins that helped keep me accountable and focused. I really enjoyed the ritual of checking in with others and following their progress and found that I did really well this way. So here i am again. I'm glad I found this group.

My extra weight used to mostly be a burden to me superficially in terms of appearance and attractiveness but now that I'm older I'm feeling that burden much more physically as well. My knees and hips are sore. I huff and puff up stairs. I lack energy and focus. I don't sleep as well as I used to. I feel depleted and foggy a lot of the time. I worry I might be prediabetic. I worry about what extra weight will do to my heart health. And THIS I really need to change.

I want to be more active. I want to be able to participate in hikes with my family and add more strenuous exercise to my life. I want to feel more physically and mentally alert. I want to feel awake and present and grateful for my life. I want to break old habits and start new healthier ones. I want to wear clothes that I like and not chose them simply to cover my big body. I feel like it will take me a little over a year to reach most of my goals. I would ultimately like to lose 100 pounds. That would put me at around 140 lbs. A weight I was comfortable with right up to my late thirties. I know that's a big number and I plan to take it one week at a time. So here I am. Week one.

This month I aim to :

🌻 walk for 60 minutes 12 times this month
    🌻 log in every day
    🌻 stay under 1500 calories a day for the month of August
    🌻 not snack after 7 pm
    🌻 drink only water, tea, coffee and 2 glasses of champagne this month (It's my birthday month so ya!)

• Jan aka/ Byrdsgran
    66 years old
    5'3''

Original Starting Weight: 274
    Current Starting Weight: 235
    First Goal: 199

8/3
    8/10:
    8/17:
    8/24:
    8/31:

GW for August 31st: a loss
    Fitness Goals
    6000 steps minimum 3 times a week
    30 minute walks 3 times a week
    30 minute in home exercise 3 times a week

I Have belonged to My Fitness Pal for years, but as with everything healthy, I immediately lost interest. Until now that is.
    I am fed up with being over weight, arthritic, inactive and BORED.. I joined Planet Fitness last year and have never stepped into the building.. My schedule was a factor for the past two years, but lethargy I think was the culprit. I worked Graveyards for two years and have struggled with getting enough sleep which didn’t help, and I was tied to my desk 10 hours at a time. I have recently put in my notice and am opting for part time. Once I get my sleep pattern back, I suspect a lot will come easily.
    Oh my gosh, I sound rather negative & boring, lol I think first posts can be hard to write- look forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully learning new ways to combat my tendency to self-sabotage..
    Jan

Sleep is so important to the body. Even if you were happy on graveyards and low sleep, you might not lose any weight even with diet and exercise if you're not getting enough sleep! Plus, there's the fact that when you're asleep you're not prowling the kitchen for a snack. (Speaking of bad habits I got into....)
  • I'm 69 and by measurement 5'2" but still use 5'4" for TDEE calculations since scoliosis has crinkled me down.

HW: 283
    CW: 246.4 Came back to MFP 88 days ago and have lost 22 pounds in those 88 days.
    8/31 GW: 238.9

I need to be losing just a touch faster to reach my 70th birthday goal which is to reach ONEderland on that day, January 25th, 2021.

August goals:
    • Actually count number of late night, post diary snacking days
    • Continue regular alternating of swim walking & weight training 6 days/week.
    • Start some floor-based back exercises.

I will just say that if the floor is too hard to lay on, some of those you can do in bed. I was so badly deconditioned that when I started I could not lie flat on the floor without pain, so I did the yoga poses that had me lying or sitting on the floor on the bed. They worked just fine that way too.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    @wanderinglight I love how you've categorized your goals! They seem well planned out to help you achieve what you want to.

I can relate to each of us focusing on our own journeys. I started in very bad shape physically and, while I know I've improved a lot from where I started, I get down on myself when I see what other people are capable of and how far I still have to go to be where I'd like to be as far as walking, biking, and even just everyday activities like climbing stairs. I also get discouraged when I see everyone who's at my weight or higher wearing much smaller pants sizes. I feel like a freak sometimes and wonder if I'll ever get to misses sizes instead of women's. I know we all have different body shapes and most of my weight is in my hips and thighs (and those darn upper arms) but it's so demoralizing to read about people wearing sizes that it seems like I'll never fit into, even if I lose 50+ more pounds. I just have to keep reminding myself that I should only compare current me to past me and nobody else. I have to celebrate how far I've come and how much more I can do than I was able to 15 months ago. Still, easier said than done sometimes. :) Guess we just need to keep working at it. Good luck with your August goals!
  • I made peanut pork tonight and it was very filling, even in the small portion I had. I wouldn't want it every Saturday night, but it's tasty on occasion.

I finally got the mirror unboxed and unwrapped, so it's leaned against the wall that it will hang on, at least til Monday, when the boys will come and help us hang it. And that meant I got the bed nicely made, with the quilt on it, and it looks very nice.

We also found the labelmaker so I can spend some evenings putting Library of Congress numbers on our new books and putting them in their proper categories.