Working out at home

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Do any of you here feel nervous about going to the gym due to Covid - 19?

My gym membership is on hold thru mid Sept. I’ve gotten so used to exercising at home that I will probably cancel it after that, even if the virus outbreak improves. I like the money I’m saving!
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2020
    Before Corona came around I was thinking of getting a membership at the gym. But now I decided to wait till Corona is over. The big pro's for me are that I can do a workout whenever I want and it does not matter if I'm still in my pyjama pants and only wearing a sports bra (in a gym I find that to revealing). Also I can do it at my own pace and decide for myself if something is to hard and such. The con is that nobody can tell me if my form is correct or give me advise and push me to try harder for better results. And at home you don't have all the tools for strength training so your options are limited.
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

No infections are low in our area and the gym does a great job of cleaning. Plus everyone walking in the door is given their own bottle of cleaner and a cloth. People are following the rules established.

What state is your gym located in?
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    edited August 2020
    Scottsdale Arizona:
    I joined a gym last month at 11 am. At 3 pm the same day, our Governor shut all gyms down for 30 days and has since extended the closure. My gym owner refused to close, and sued to stay open. I went every day and was so impressed with the care they took to be safe. The followed all the steps they were asked to do.
    After 1 week a judge denied his request for a stay so they had to close.
    I am looking forward to them reopening. At 115 degrees it is too hot to take walks, runs or bike rides.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i love working out at home - no need to get dressed, walk to the car, drive to the gym, and then afterwards drive home. the other night, i was able to ride our exercise bike at 3 am.

the catch for us is space. we have one of these
    https://www.valorfitness.com/BD-62-Wall-Mount-Cable-Station_p_459.html
    attached to my room wall next to a plate tree and a number of attachments. right next to some dumbells, a bullworker and some more smallish gear including a good quality set of resistance bands with handles and a not-as-good set of resistance bands.

and we have a recumbent exercise bike in the dining room and a total gym in the living room next to my little stepper. my husband is drooling over a folding rower, but i don't know if we can shoehorn it in.

i don't care for the local gyms, traffic is quite heavy, so working out at home seems the best option.
  • Whydahdad71
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    Scottsdale Arizona:
    I joined a gym last month at 11 am. At 3 pm the same day, our Governor shut all gyms down for 30 days and has since extended the closure. My gym owner refused to close, and sued to stay open. I went every day and was so impressed with the care they took to be safe. The followed all the steps they were asked to do.
    I am looking forward to them reopening. At 115 degrees it is too hot to take walks, runs or bike rides.

115!
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 210 Member
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    Scottsdale Arizona:

I hear you, LynnJ9. I am in Tucson, AZ. AC running all day with hefty bill, under-desk biking and Zoom ballet classes. It takes effort to get my heavy dance mat ready but at 60, I am wary about going back to the studio anytime soon.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2020
    no commute, I already spend enough time in the car thank you very much (the closest gym for me is 15 minutes away)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Just FYI for those thinking of setting up a home gym: used weight machines, benches, etc. are CHEAP! Watch Craig's list, ebay, thrift stores, etc. I had a big home gym machine where I used to live and finally ended up giving it away to charity. You can probably get a $2000 machine for as little as $200.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Just FYI for those thinking of setting up a home gym: used weight machines, benches, etc. are CHEAP! Watch Craig's list, ebay, thrift stores, etc. I had a big home gym machine where I used to live and finally ended up giving it away to charity. You can probably get a $2000 machine for as little as $200.

I built my own home gym AND started a mom and pop business selling used gym equipment just off of shopping on Facebook marketplace and eBay.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Don't know where you are but around here stores can't keep any exercise equipment in stock and people selling their used stuff are getting 50%+ more in many cases than pre-Covid and if you're not the first one there you're too late.

It's a seller's market.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

No infections are low in our area and the gym does a great job of cleaning. Plus everyone walking in the door is given their own bottle of cleaner and a cloth. People are following the rules established.

What state is your gym located in?

Central Illinois.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

I don't even want to go to physical therapy or get a hair cut these days, let alone go to the gym.

It's been too hot for me to get my cardio outside like I usually do, which has forced me to get creative inside.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Don't know where you are but around here stores can't keep any exercise equipment in stock and people selling their used stuff are getting 50%+ more in many cases than pre-Covid and if you're not the first one there you're too late.

It's a seller's market.

Same. I responded to someone selling some weights and a bench within 2hrs of it being listed and he already had two people ahead of me coming to look at it.
  • Whydahdad71
    Does it seem like the price of home gym equipment is coming back to earth?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Does it seem like the price of home gym equipment is coming back to earth?

As someone who buys and sells used gym equipment for a second side job, I can say yes. For example, in my area used dumbbells are around 1.29 lb now and used standard weights are around 1 lb.

Used commercial machine sales are down in general regardless of price because you need people who have the space for them or someone crazy enough to attempt opening a gym in this market.

Some items still sell like hot cakes in my area including stall mats and concept2 rowers (new C2’s are on backorder through December and people are not patient).
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I am stuck in home gym again this week(possible exposure so I am keeping to myself). I love my home gym when: I want to blare loud music, I don’t feel like putting on socially acceptable workout clothing, when I don’t want to spend time driving. I love the gym gym when: I need more variety, I have planned a workout that uses heavier plates than I have, and if I already have to do town errands because then I have to get out and get moving with a time limit.

They both have their pluses. They both have negatives. Do what works for you.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    My Fiancee and I decided to build a home gym. Covid really put a damper on my progress. Also, I normally get to the gym during peak hours, which means having to wait. Now I don't have to pack my gym bag, and drive to and from the gym. I can listen to my music as loud as I want. I can be loud and not offend anyone. I don't have to wipe everything down. I take very good care of my equipment. It has been a much better experience for me working out at home.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I’ve been working out at home since the gym closed in March (it’s been open for months now, but I’m still working out at home).

Pro: no commute, can split workouts to fit into schedule, can do multiple shorter workouts instead of one long session. I tend to walk/bike outside more than when I went to the gym.

Con: lack of motivation. Easy to be distracted by children, chores, other things that need to get done and cut things short. I push myself harder with weights at the gym bc I’m more focused. I only have a treadmill and weight set up, so I miss the stair treadmill and elliptical for pushing myself without killing my hips (I get overuse injuries from walking/running too much, wish I could mix things up). Weights are in garage, so not climate controlled and sometimes spiders fall on me, so that’s not helping the motivation/concentration either 😆