Extremeish weight fluctuation?

Replies

• stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    edited August 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »

As a female with a menstrual cycle, what would be abnormal would be NOT having water weight fluctuations in that range.

How long have you been tracking your weight? I can tell from looking at my chart when I was ovulating and premenstrual.

Since about April 6, but not on a super consistent schedule. However, I DO remember one day stepping on the scale during the front end of my period, thinking "jfc this number's probably gonna be higher" and then it came out lower. And then I went "wtf... but okay? Yay!"

-

Strength training and eating cleanish probably would help. I would focus on being healthy and happy and grateful you don't have a real weight problem. I have been down the unhealthy body image road you don't want to go on. You can't spot train only overall body fat matters. What does your diet and workouts look like?

I'm trying to strength train but I'm having to rely on youtube workouts (like I do Chloe Ting's arm 10 minute arm workout on arm days) to get anything done since we don't have weights in my house and I don't officially start college for a few weeks. I try to do some sort of exercise each day, whether it be a walk or youtuber fitness girl workout (Chloe Ting/Madfit, those people). But with each of those, I aim for 100 "active' calories.

As for my diet, since I started wanting to lose weight and got MFP, I have been eating 1500 calories or less (with the exception of a day or two once a month). I keep my macros somewhere in the "acceptable macronutrient daily range" and try to eat as much protein as I can. I try to eat as little saturated fat as I can and keep the sodium and added sugar intakes low. (I ignore it when I add a fruit and it says "this food is high in sugar.")

Also, as for your "real weight problem" comment, as I've said before, I'm abdominally obese, so, actually, I do have a real weight problem.

(Edit: spotted a typo oops. Fixed it!)
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Like many other replies, I agree that you’re measurements are normal.
    I’m not Asian, but I do know that in Asian culture, your measurements would seem large in comparison to the typical extreme lean young Asian female frame. And in that culture the pressure for perfection goes beyond waist measurements. So, I understand why you believe you should be able to reduce your waist by another 7 inches.
    The reality of it, is that your body may not be built for a 25 inch waist and if you are able to get there, it may be an overall detriment to your health.
    Having said all that to continue to make progress I suggest:
    Weight training — add more muscle to your frame
    Monitor your macros — you may need more protein
    Here’s a strange one — you may need to eat more calories. You’ll need that to build the muscle.
    Keep and open mind. Take care of yourself.
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    Tell me about it... I'm also asian and 18 AND 5'5, and my current weight is 134, goal weight is 120ish. It's so frustrating when weight fluctuates...
  • stargirlhorse
    Maxematics wrote: »

I don't post here often anymore but I do read posts daily. I have to comment though as I am concerned for you. I have seen you make posts similar to this one quite often and you kind of remind me of myself when my way of thinking and eating was disordered. I'm not saying this as an insult, but as a suggestion for you to take a step back, breathe, and reassess.

Abdominal obesity starts at a waist measurement greater than 35 inches for women. That isn't you; you are not abdominally obese. Furthermore, you've stated your period is eight days late. That, and general stress causing a rise in cortisol, can be contributors to water weight gain thus resulting in your waist measurement and scale weight being larger than they actually are.

You're only 18, so your body is still growing and changing and many people have written this to you. You trying to resist and manipulate that may be causing additional stress on your body; I'd say the eight day late period is pretty good evidence of that stress. In fact, at your age, this is the prime time to start working on your body composition by incorporating resistance training on a regular basis. You won't get bulky and will probably come closer to the body type you're aiming for this way.

[cut]

Your weight is currently at the lower end of the BMI scale; getting on the cusp of underweight shouldn't be the goal. Your body is most likely trying to tell you it really doesn't want to be there either. You can be 115 pounds but have more bodyfat than at 125 pounds with more muscle. Your weight is just one part of a much larger picture.

You incorrect; I am abdominally obese. As I mentioned in my original post, I am Asian, and for some reason, we are abdominally obese at smaller measurements than other people. This link from Harvard Medical states that 80 cm is where one becomes abdominally obese. This is 31.4961 inches according to Google's conversion. My waist is 32, and therefore, by definition and waist measurement, I am abdominally obese.

The World Health Organization also states "Chinese and South Asian men and women display a greater amount of visceral adipose
    tissue for a given waist circumference than Europeans (Lear et al., 2007b). Similarly, a
    higher percentage of body fat across a range of waist circumference values has been
    documented in East Asia (Kagawa et al., 2007)." (page 10 of the linked document above)

I have been trying strength training as mentioned before, but again, as I have said before, we do not have weights. I am using YouTuber workouts.
  • stargirlhorse
    I also don't understand why my stupid body won't burn calories. I have a friend who's the same height as me and only like 20 pounds heavier than me and can burn like 900 "move" calories on the apple watch just by existing, doing her everyday activities, and going for a ~3-4 mile run. I went for a 3.43 mile run at a 12'29" pace and only burnt 341 move calories??? I think her biggest burn was 2,100 in a single day. And I have never been able to burn more than 6-700, even when I spent like an hour in the gym? We are both women, the only real difference is the 20-pound weight difference.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I also don't understand why my stupid body won't burn calories. I have a friend who's the same height as me and only like 20 pounds heavier than me and can burn like 900 "move" calories on the apple watch just by existing, doing her everyday activities, and going for a ~3-4 mile run. I went for a 3.43 mile run at a 12'29" pace and only burnt 341 move calories??? I think her biggest burn was 2,100 in a single day. And I have never been able to burn more than 6-700, even when I spent like an hour in the gym? We are both women, the only real difference is the 20-pound weight difference.

Did you spend all day with her? Or is this what she tells you she did?
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    cpu8xfqpqw4t.jpg
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Stargirlhorse: I’ve read over this entire post and you seem to have done your research related to bmi, visceral fat, waist to hip ratio, etc. Since you’ve obviously read a lot about all these topics I’m certain you would have also read about ranges, averages, each unique person.
    You are unique and you need to love yourself.

You can lose weight by having a caloric deficit.
    When weight is lost a combination of fat and muscle are lost.
    Based on your measurements and your goals you need to focus on resistance training and having a nutrient rich diet with at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. For you that’s 120 grams of protein a day.
    In terms of resistance training, you need to follow a proven program. I have two recommendations : 1) legion athletics has a book written by mike Matthews called ‘thinner, leaner, stronger 2) Beachbody on demand 80 Day Obsession.
    For both these programs you’ll need weights.
    I know you said you don’t own weights, so you may need to get to gym or consider buying some or using resistance bands. I know weights are nearly impossible to find right now.
    Any change in your body composition is going to take time. I don’t believe your waist measurement is too large, but you do and you if you want to have it smaller, you’ll need to do the work.
    Take care,

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Period 11 days late, any chance you are pregnant?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited August 2020
    karahm78 wrote: »

Did you miss the part where she stated she is a virgin? It's in her original post.
  • stargirlhorse

Did you spend all day with her? Or is this what she tells you she did?

I didn't spend all day with her; the apple watch tracks distance/calories burned. Yes, they're highly inaccurate (and hers is probably off as someone mentioned) but it seems like a weirdly huge gap between me and her.

-
    Can I also just say with your idea that you are abdominally obese due to to your waist measurement - your waist measurement also can largely come down to your skeletal frame. If your ribs are relatively low due to a short torso, and fairly wide, and your hip bones - particularly the illium - are high and wide, you may never have a tiny waist. There are simply some things you can't change, and your bones are one of them. Your shape may just be your shape.

I don't really know what defines a "short" torso or where technically one's torso ends, but I can say I'm 65.5" and my inseam (crotch to floor) is 32", making my torso by that measurement 33.5"? That seems pretty proportional to me but I'm no stylist so I don't know where torsos technically end. I never really have issues when I tuck shirts in and pants usually come to the length they're supposed to.

-
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    120 lbs is on the lower end of ideal, depending on how tall you are. There are many medical charts that show this. Anything less and you could be doing more harm than good.

With where you are at...
    Caloric deficit alone will not get rid of the visceral fat (the midsection fat) around your midsection. A mix of strength training and cardio (pushing your limits), as well as timely and fine-tuned nutrition will.

A caloric deficit is the ONLY thing that will cause her, or anyone, to lose fat of any kind anywhere on their body, assuming an otherwise healthy individual. All the rest of the things you mention only help in that they're tools you can use to manipulate the size of the calorie deficit. You can absolutely lose every bit of fat you want to by doing nothing more than controlling what food goes in your mouth.

That said, most people find adding some exercise helps with appetite and it certainly helps you be healthier in general.

Tried the 1200 calorie diet. Stalled for a month. Currently testing out the "diet break" thing by eating at 100 lower than maintanence and guess who gained weight.

-
    Stargirlhorse: I’ve read over this entire post and you seem to have done your research related to bmi, visceral fat, waist to hip ratio, etc. Since you’ve obviously read a lot about all these topics I’m certain you would have also read about ranges, averages, each unique person.
    You are unique and you need to love yourself.

You can lose weight by having a caloric deficit.
    When weight is lost a combination of fat and muscle are lost.
    Based on your measurements and your goals you need to focus on resistance training and having a nutrient rich diet with at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. For you that’s 120 grams of protein a day.
    In terms of resistance training, you need to follow a proven program. I have two recommendations : 1) legion athletics has a book written by mike Matthews called ‘thinner, leaner, stronger 2) Beachbody on demand 80 Day Obsession.
    For both these programs you’ll need weights.
    I know you said you don’t own weights, so you may need to get to gym or consider buying some or using resistance bands. I know weights are nearly impossible to find right now.
    Any change in your body composition is going to take time. I don’t believe your waist measurement is too large, but you do and you if you want to have it smaller, you’ll need to do the work.
    Take care,

I'll definitely be checking out the weight section at the college gym when I get there. Hopefully it's open... but yeah, I do my research.
  • stargirlhorse
    [cut out my previous message]

You're abdominally obese by roughly half an inch.

You said on a different thread that your period is 11 days late, which might account for some bloating and water weight. Did you have an honest discussion with your doctor?

Still... obesity (in any form) is still obese. I lost weight and only two inches around the waist (which was REALLY effing discouraging). Yeah, it's still late (insert clown emoji) on day 13. And no, I will admit I didn't becuase it was a new doctor and he made me feel lowkey uncomfortable. Will not be going to that dude again.

-
    kshama2001 wrote: »

[cut the quotes]

@stargirlhorse speaking of doctors, do you have a GYN? My waist measurements are abnormal due to uterine fibroids. I suggest you discuss all your concerns with a doctor.

I've never been to the gyno and probably should but, y'know, corona. I'll remember to ask if there's something up with my uterus or if it's just fat. (Also, I've heard horror stories about these things called "pap smears" which make me want to stay away.)

-

harper16 wrote: »
    karahm78 wrote: »

Did you miss the part where she stated she is a virgin? It's in her original post.

@harper16 is correct unless I'm the next virgin mary. I've literally never even seen a penis so, unless I'm a freak of nature and can get pregnant just by being around men, I can confirm with 100% confidence that I am not pregnant.