Women 200lb+, Let's Be Extra Awesome This August!!!

Options

Replies

• micwrites
    micwrites Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weigh-in Wednesday:

49 years old; 5'6"
    SW: 236.4 (9/8/19)
    7/31: 191.6
    8/7: 189.5
    8/12: 188.3
    8/19: 189.5

My focus this month has been on stress management rather than a weight goal:
    • Mediation - I took my TM meditation class three weeks ago. They recommend 20 minutes, twice a day. Right now I am mediating about once every other day. I need to schedule this.
    • Walking - First I planned to start walking in the morning; then in 10 minute walks through the day. I also need to schedule this.
    • Bedtime - I will be in bed by 10 pm. I am in bed by 11 pm but the good news is I am actually sleeping now and haven't been waking up at 5 am and not being able to go back to sleep. I am also trying to start using my CPAP again.
    • Journal - I will journal in some form to let go of the day and identify what I can and cannot control. This has been good; I am doing better about writing out my to do list, worries, and areas for follow up. We also started working on a COVID plan if my son, my husband or myself are exposed or test positive. Given my risk factors and that has been helpful. Happy to share it if anyone is interested or wants to see what it looks like.
    • Intermittent fasting - I have nailed the morning routine and largely curbed ice cream in the evenings. But could do better about no other snacks.

PSA: So everyone, I highly recommend that you all be tested for lipoprotein (a) as part of your blood work this year. It is a one time test that looks at how your body manufactures cholesterol - the test can tell you your predisposition by around age 5. High lipoprotein (a) means you have a protein wrapped around your LDL molecules, which makes them sticky and more likely to clot. If you have high lipoprotein (a), you are at 2-3 times higher risk of heart attack or stroke, all other risk factors equal. You are also at higher risk of clotting if you contract COVID because your are more likely to have mini clots throughout your body or a stroke, so you would need to seek treatment immediately so be put on blood thinners. Lipoprotien (a) is more commonly tested in Europe, the test is covered by insurance, and is information everyone should have. Unfortunately, there is no medication to manage your liproprotein (a) and the levels are not impacted by diet or exercise. But if you have it, you need to be more aggressive about managing your heart health overall, as early as possible. Unfortunately, I don't know what this means exactly yet but it is one reason I have not been eating ice cream at night anymore.

My doctor ordered a calcium heart scan, which basically is a CT scan of your heart to see if their is build up of plaque on your artery walls. The test was $100 out of pocket. I am 49 years old and my score is 50, which is mild heart disease. However, it is all concentrated in one artery and puts me in the 97 percentile - meaning 97 percent of women my age have a better score than me. So this is something I need to figure out how to manage going forward. I have an appointment with a cardiologist next Tuesday and will probably have more diagnostic tests to see where I am at. But it is a bit of a shock because my total cholesterol has been at around 150 (with LDL in the normal range and low HDL) and I rarely eat red meat. My doctor looked at lipoprotein (a) in part because I had previously had high C-reactive protein, which measures inflammation in the body.

So the week has once again been stressful. I am not concerned with my weight fluctuation and I am not beating myself up about the non-scale goals. I happy about sleeping better, planning what needs to be done and what questions need to be asked, and not losing my mind. I have also been teaching my son to play the piano and found some of my old books at my mom's. That has been fun; despite no playing for 30 years it is amazing how some of the finger movements come back on songs I used to play.

I hope everyone is having a good week. Please be safe and take care of and love your precious bodies!

Thank you @aliciap0116 for the advice and an uplifting start to the day, and right on with your goals.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    micwrites wrote: »
    micwrites wrote: »
    I was so grateful to receive news that I can heal my hamstring without surgery yesterday that I grabbed my daughter and went to walk beautiful Long Beach in Plymouth, MA. We both pledged to put ourselves first, take care of our bodies, minds, spirits and souls and do the things we love to do that we put aside for other people, or when life got too complicated. We walked more than two miles and the sea air was the best medicine possible. Now we just have to find a way to keep it up. Today we hope to pack up extra large water bottles for a walk along the Cape Cod Canal if the weather (and my leg) holds out. I’m back to work on Thursday so I’m making the most of my staycation now.

3it1ot3j16le.png

OMG! I'm from Plymouth!! Grew up on Bayshore Drive. Went to Sacred Heart. Worked at Cumberland Farms. Spent lots of time at Star Market (Stah Mahket). Used to hang out at Bert's on the beach. I miss it!!

P.S. That water looks as cold as ever. I still can't believe my mom made me take swimming lessons in the Atlantic in June at **7:30 in the damn morning** when I was a little kid. I get a headache just thinking about it. :)

You are kidding!! We live in Middleborough and go to Plymouth all the time. The water was freezing and the waves were huge and throwing rocks at our feet.

That's so great! Your pic made me a lil homesick! I haven't been back for 20+ years :)
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Well the WL has slowed right down, which I knew would happen. Still pretty happy though, went on a 13 mile bike ride yesterday and it felt fabulous. Dinner was delayed last night and I was super hungry (OK I was hangry, had a really hard time not biting my husband's head off), so I made these frozen caramelized onion and feta bites (so good), not the healthiest, but I only had 3 and still managed to be in the green for calories.

SW: 233.6
    CW: 228.0
    # days on mpf: 10

• MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wednesday weigh in

Highest weight: 435 (11/1/18)--lost 50 lbs. by the end of 2018 but got off track and gained back almost 31 lbs.
    SW: 415.8 (4/17/19)

7/31: 220.6
    8/5: 220.6
    8/12: 216.2
    8/19: 214.2
    8/26:
    8/31:

Aug. GW: 213.6
    GW: 160 (then reevaluate)

Weekly exercise goals (still working on revising these):
    - bike ride or exercise bike 5 times per week - 6/5
    - strength training (including core specific exercises) 2 times per week - 2/2
    - chair yoga 4 times per week - 4/4
    - steps onto aerobic step platform twice a day at least 3 times per week - 4 days last week; increasing reps this week
    - bonus: 2 hikes last week

I got a bonus bike ride in last week. On Saturday, my son went for a ride with me on a new trail. Most of it was along a small river. Just beautiful! And this trail had no road crossings the whole way (about 5.5 miles one way so we did 11 miles total), which is different than the trails I usually ride. It was kind of nice to enjoy the ride without having to check for traffic every mile or so. A couple of the trails I usually ride involve crossing busy highways. At one highway crossing, there is even a "ghost bike". It always makes me a bit sad and uneasy when I see it.

It will probably be challenging to hit my exercise goals this coming week. Another couple trips to my parents plus my daughter will be in town to attend the memorial service for a family friend. He died in April but there couldn't be any service at that time. This will be outside so it should be easier to maintain social distancing. When my daughter is home, my normal routine goes out the window. But that's okay. I'm happy to miss an exercise session or two in exchange for getting to see her (even though this time she is home for a sad reason). :)

Let's finish August focused and strong!
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @KeriA Good idea! I love Jane Austen. I used to read a ton, but with a little one now I just don't have the time. But as soon as I get a little time to myself I need to re-read a few of my favorites from Austen.
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,189 Member
    Options
    Good luck cupacabragumbo! Let us know how it goes with your family!
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,189 Member
    Options
    SFFirebird wrote: »
    i started here Wednesday. everyone else seems so together compared to me. 5'3ish, 244.not much of a writer. read a lot of cozy mysteries.

Welcome! I can assure I am not together!