Women 200lb+, Let's Be Extra Awesome This August!!!

Options

Replies

• grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    speyerj wrote: »
    @rpbarkernc - you look amazing. Congratulations on hitting your goal weight!

@aliciap0116 - I'm so glad that your son's school came to a decision that feels safe. And I am really sorry about the pay cut. That has got to be a hardship on your family and demoralizing for everyone in the company. I'm very sorry. But good for you for practicing self care and it appears to be showing up on the scale too!

@grandrory - You don't have to have a specific eating plan. At the end of the day, eating fewer calories than you burn will result in fat loss. If 1200 calories/day feels doable - than that is your eating plan. If it's hard to stick to you have a couple of options: Increase the calories limit - understanding that the weight loss will be slower, but having a plan that you can sustain will ultimately get you to your long term goal faster. Another option is to review your macros. When I started out at a 1000 calorie deficit a day, I was sooo hungry! All the time. After reading a bit, I heard that for most people protein is actually more satiating than other macros (fats and carbs). So I switched up my macros a bit - striving for a 30% Carb, 35% fat, 35% protein and found it more sustainable, even though I wasn't eating more calories. Other people swear by volume eating - having lots of salads, raw veggies or rice cakes that provide a satisfying crunch along with fiber to fill you up. That didn't work as well for me - I would be hungry again in 30 minutes. But eating a high protein snack - Greek yogurt, beef jerky, deli turkey, rotisserie chicken breast - that kept me going for a couple of hours. Give yourself some time to experiment - try things for a week or more to see how they feel over time. When something doesn't work, view it as an opportunity to learn what might work better next time. Be extra forgiving of yourself and don't forget to celebrate and reward your success.
    Thank you for the advice. I may try playing around with my macros. I'm not even sure what MFP set them at. My husband loves to snack around so there's always something tempting ☹️. I like your suggestions on snacks, next time I go shopping I need to pick up some beef jerky and Greek yogurt.
  • mmdeveau
    mmdeveau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I’m posting my Sunday update way late! I’ve been trying to tag more people and post earlier. But I’ve had a weird week – a falling asleep at 7 PM, waking up at 12 AM and realizing you really need to eat dinner so you do, then maybe going back to sleep to wake up at 4:30-5:00 AM sort of week. Last night was the first night I was able to stay up so I can eat dinner and then get interrupted sleep.

The past week been a good week overall. I think I tightened up a bit and that’s what made the difference. Or I was just due for the permanent whoosh. I think that @speyerj is right about the warmer weather causing more water retention. I think I noticed it as well, but I know I’ve been lax on my eating habits too so I also thought I might be grasping at straws.

Michelle
    46 years old
    Height: 5' 6"
    SW (09/08/2019): 239.2 lbs
    August SW (8/1/20): 161.4 lbs
    8/2/20: 159.2 lbs
    8/9/20: 157.4 lbs

August GW: under 160 lbs, solidly. By that I mean no more than a day a week above 160. For this week, I was above 160 only one day. And pretty darn close two or three other days of the week.

GW: 150 lbs – I’m hoping to get to it by the end of September. I think it might be a bit of a stretch. I’ve said before, but I now do not think 150 is the end of the road for me. I look like I have at least 20 pounds to lose.

Goals for August:
    • Running: Run or run/walk at least three days a week. I got this one in: a hill workout on the treadmill last Sunday, ran on the treadmill on Tuesday (not preferred but it was the day of the tropical storm), then ran over 9 miles yesterday.
    • Cross training: At least three days a week of cross-training. HIIT on the bike Monday, Wednesday and Friday! I have read that HIIT workouts may help reduce abdominal fat. I do not believe in spot reduction generally. But I could make a case for HIIT perhaps making a marginal difference, if it is done on a consistent basis and one is patient to wait for results.
    • Weight training: Start incorporating strength training in the routine. I’ve been doing planks and squats every other day, and increased the reps and/or length of time held.
    • Water: Keep drinking water, at least 128 ounces a day – Done
    • Skin: Be more regular with taking care of my skin. Still really bad.

My last post in July was about not being able to see the difference in my body from the beginning of the year to now, despite all evidence to the contrary. Body dysmorphia is real. This is not my thought, but I wonder if people who do lose weight all over have a more difficult time seeing changes than those who do seem to lose in any particular area first. Maybe if proportions remain the same, it’s harder to see changes.

@brownsugar174 – I completely understand not trusting scale lows. One of the things about weighing on a daily basis – it sort of teaches you to roll with it and believe it a bit more. Unless you are cheating, the scale weight is your weight and when we are low it’s probably just an exceptionally “dry” weight. Once you see the low, even if you go up you do sort of know that low is within your reach sometime soon. Celebrate the scale lows, and know that it is a result of your hard work and your plan. Believe what you are doing is working!

@CupcakeCrusoe – I’ve been on Ravelry for a long time. Since 2008! I don’t know my raveler number, I recall that you can look it up but I’m not sure where. I’m loungekitten over there. I’ve been inconsistent in the past few years with posting projects. All my group forums have been inactive for years. I don’t mind the changes at all, and I was surprised to hear last week that there was such a kerfluffle about it. As someone who frequently has to manage change processes, I can appreciate people’s reactions – as a matter of fact we are installing a software upgrade at my organization this week. I looked up the Sharon Show. Boy, that Sharon sounds like a piece of work!

@aliciap0116 – I’m so sorry you’ve had so much to deal with lately. All you can do is take it one day at a time. For you and all the parents, I can’t say that I have kids but I understand, I’m close with my sister and I see her struggles and she would tell you she thinks it’s easy for her. My niece and nephew are in 3rd and 5th grade – so old enough to be independent, and subjects not so difficult she and her husband would have difficulty helping them. I’m hoping this will be over soon for your sake!

I would love to tag more people but with all my issues lately I’m just going to be posting at this point, so late. Next week is going to be another super busy week – lots of training for new hires, I actually had to add a second session for one of my classes in the middle of the week. I am grateful for my job, I’d be out on the street in a month or two otherwise.

We can do this! Just about half-way there!
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm breaking up my weight loss journey into 30-day challenges, I've just completed my 5th month and went down 4,1kgs (9.02 lbs) my total loss for 5 months is -23.1Kgs -50.62lbs. I'm walking 7 days a week 45 mins a day and eating 1400 calories (but always below) and I'm intermittent fasting. Drinking 2 litres of water a day.

I never ever thought I would be able to last this long, however, being part of the Fitbit community has made a huge difference to my journey. I've logged in every day of my journey and post my weekly weigh-in, I comment and post when I can, the advice of people that are ahead of my journey is priceless I avidly follow them and hope that people who are starting will follow me because together anything is possible! Thanks Ladies, I love reading your posts<3
    Wow, 50.62 lbs in 5 months is awesome! Congratulations!! I've been looking at purchasing a Fitbit. There's so many different kinds, what kind do you have? Years ago I got the kind that clips to your clothes somewhere, I think that was when they were first getting started lol. I actually found it the other day but I can't find the part that plugs into the computer that tells you your stats for the day, week, etc... I went to Fitbit website, wow they've really changed since I bought mine. I do my weigh loss in monthly challenges. My goal is to lose 5 pounds per month. I need to lose 60-70 pounds.
  • changeforeverlj
    changeforeverlj Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @grandrory Thanks! I've got the Blaze, its already four years old, but I absolutely love it and you can link it to fitness pal, I think 5lbs a month is a really realistic goal, looking forward to follow your journey!

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @KeriA - I really loved your post. So thoughtful, so insightful. Especially the part about needing routines during this time. And I hope you sort out what to do next regarding your next role. A had a friend about your age who was laid off last year and it took her a while to find a job. While she was searching, she was doing a lot of skiing and other things she loved. While talking to a stranger on a ski lift about her life now and her future plans the woman turned to her and wisely said, "Maybe you are already in retirement, but just don't know it yet". As it turned out, she ended up finding a job (at my company - I helped her land it) but after about 9 months of returning to work, she realized, "Actually, it is time. I want to be retired." And so she did and has said it's been the best decision she ever made. Not to say this would apply to you, but sometimes we don't know what we want when we have it. Sometimes we have to lose it to understand it was what we wanted all along.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @mphollins - Oh my. I just want to reach through the internet and hug you. You have been through a lot. But you are going to get better if you stick with it. I promise you that. And you are doing so well so far. Don't worry about being a few calories over your limit - you are still eating at a deficit and it's consistency that really matters. I hope you have a lot of hope for your future because your life is going to be a lot easier with each pound you shed.

This is from a woman who 115 pounds ago had searing nerve paid shooting down her leg that made even sleep impossible. Now, my nerve pain is completely gone. So are a lot of other health issues. And I recently ran a half marathon at a 10:27 pace. So yes, you can do this.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I've read everyone's posts, but don't think I can possibly catch up posting lol. So we'll just stick to today:

@grandrory - my husband is a snacker too. I usually do pretty well not indulging, but definitely have been snacking more the last few weeks and am trying to scale it back again.

@changeforeverlj - well done! Those bite-size goals and challenges are a great way to do it!

@mmdeveau - Nice long run! I also think the heat/humidity have had me retaining some water too (though I've also been a little lax in my habits lately, so it is hard to say). But it has been in the 90's and humid out here for a few weeks.

@astroamy - Welcome! NS goals are my favorites too - keeps you going when the scale isn't budging.

@KeriA - That's a lot of change and touch decisions to get through. Be easy on yourself where you can, and save your extra energy for thinking and running through mental scenarios.

@AlexandraFindsHerself1971 - So sorry your boyfriend is having a difficult time - I hope he continues to work through it. I'm sure having a supportive partner helps! Supper sounds delicious, I may have to cook alfredo this weekend.

@mphollins - You have been through so much. Don't feel ashamed about your weight - life happens and weight changes for all of us. I don't think there is anything shameful about being a higher weight in any circumstance, much less when your life has been continually turned upside down. It sounds like you have a healthy, reasonable plan, with a moderate rate of loss. (Though it is only a calorie deficit that will help you lose weight, not the type of food you eat. You could eat 1500 calories of ice cream a day and lose weight. Eat what you enjoy and that fills you up!) You've got this!