Women 200lb+, Let's Be Extra Awesome This August!!!

Options

Replies

• SFFirebird
    SFFirebird Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Laura Childs (aka Gerry Schmitt) The Tea Shop Mystery Series takes place in a Charleston Tea Room. available at your local public library. https://cozy-mystery.com/ (a website to look up cozy mysteries by theme, author,etc.)
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Did well today, went on a long bike ride this morning and had a nice day hanging out with my friend and having an elegant afternoon tea (for lunch). I think I did OK on calories today, but can't be sure since the afternoon tea cals are difficult to calculate since there were several small items that were 2-3 bites each.

SW: 233.6
    CW: 227.4
    Days on mfp and sticking to the plan: 13

• astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @KeriA here we are outdoor eating only and gatherings of <5 people. So we were outdoor with widely separated tables, it was a quite warm but in the shade it was doable.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @micwrites your post really resonated with me. I often feel the same way -- enjoying myself, doing something that's good for me like working out (or painting a room) only to catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and all happy feelings are immediately replaced by shame and a deep hopelessness. I've really struggled with losing my looks in middle age. And I've had to do some hard reckoning with my value beyond being attractive. I relied on it for so many years and now it's just...gone. And the thing is, it will never come back. Yes yes I could lose a bunch of weight and be a *slightly* more attractive version of my middle-aged self, but it will never even come close to the hotness level of the average 20 year old. It's a tough pill to swallow!

One thing I'm working on is loving myself SO HARD through those tough moments of shame. It sounds weird but I often think of how my rescue dog sees me. She, who was horribly abused for most of her life, looks up at me with such love and trust and adoration and hopefulness. In those moments it doesn't matter what I look like because she loves the essence of who I am as a person, not what I look like. <3

The other thing that works for me is a motto that I've adopted (and illustrated as part of my "Dogs Giving Good Advice" series).
    p8lz19ogqtv1.jpg

For so many (too many) years, I had such a fear of looking stupid. Or looking unattractive. Or doing / saying something embarrassing and having people stare or laugh at me. It's all the same thing. Now, at my heaviest weight (and arguably least attractive) point of my life, I'm letting go of this baggage. I want to lose this weight, yes, but I also want to make up for lost time. I'm letting go of the need to look good and I'm embracing the experience of actually LIVING.

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time with this injury. It can be so demoralizing when you're trying to do everything right. <3

• orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,185 Member
    Options
    Weekly Tracking for July and August:

Highest weight 105.5kg (aug 2018)
    Lowest weight 94.7kg (Mar 2020)
    Goal: 97.9kg
    Starting Weight: 98.9kg

3 Aug: 99.7kg
    10 Aug: 98.1kg
    17 Aug:100.0kg
    24 Aug:99.6kg
    31 Aug:

goals
    💛 To plan my meals in advance for the week wk 1 - yes, wk 2 - yes, wk 3 - yes
    💛 To keep snacks under 25% of cals wk 1 - 22%, wk 2 - 24%[, wk 3 - 29%/b]
    💛 To keep average for the week under 2000 cals gross wk 1 - 2066, wk 2 - 2145, wk 3 - 2130
    methods
    🌻 16:8 - intermittent fasting wk 1 - yes, wk 2 - no, wk 3 - no,
    🌻 mediterranean eating wk 1 - a bit more, wk 2 - not really[, wk 3 - no/b]
    🌻 using non food ways to manage my emotions wk 1 - a bit more, wk 2 not really, wk 3 - a bit of meditation

Glad to be back under 100 after my trip to the dark side, still not back to my weight at the start of the month, hope to get there in the next week.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can also relate @micwrites , @wanderinglight and @orangequilt , although I'm older than you all (early 60s). My son just sent me a picture he took on our bike ride last Saturday. I didn't know he took it and, of course, it was a very flattering shot from behind...NOT! I know that I'm still probably the heaviest person on the trail when I'm riding but I usually try to not think about it because I enjoy biking so much. But it's demoralizing to think about how far I still have to go. Plus knowing when I get there, I'll have all the wrinkly loose skin. Not that I'm planning to ever wear a bikini or anything but it would be nice to wear shorts or short-sleeve tops once in a while. I don't know if that will ever happen. I just have to keep telling myself I'm healthier now than I was 16 months ago and I can do so much more than I could then. That makes it all worth it but I still have those moments when I get down about my current looks and potential future looks. I know, I know, not the most important thing. Health and being able to do more than just sit on the couch need to be top of mind!

PS Love your motto @wanderinglight !
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,185 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Gorgeous! Where are you? South Africa?
  • changeforeverlj
    changeforeverlj Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @orangequilt Yes I'm in East London, RSA