Women 200lb+, Let's Be Extra Awesome This August!!!

Options

Replies

• pliskit
    pliskit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    speyerj wrote: »
    @pliskit - welcome! Yes, this is a great thread for accountability. A lot of us track our weight on this thread weekly and post health (and sometimes mental health) goals which we also track weekly. There's a new thread every month - I've been posting here since July of 2019. It's made all the difference in the world.

I am also a runner. Like you I had a history of running when I was thinner, but injury and then weight gain got me off track. When I tried to take up running again while 90 pounds heavier it was unbelievably hard. I couldn't run even for 6 minutes. I'm impressed you were able to do 20 this morning. You are just starting out and running with extra weight is more strenuous. Set up a training plan for yourself to get you back to where you were and make your training plan progressive. Running/walking intervals is a great way to build endurance and speed. You'll get there.

Oh I have never been thin. lol When I trained and ran the half I mentioned above I was between 210 and 190. I have run 8 half marathons at 190-210lbs since August 2017. I do have proper running programs to follow. I just don't lol My problem is actually sticking to a plan and following through. The longest I have run in the last 6 months is 7km. But I am currently running more like 3km. Because I just give up or pick a short route.
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,181 Member
    Options
    Good to meet you @pliskit ! I run/stumble from time to time too, just a slow 20 mins here and there. I do find that my leg muscles are quite strong from carrying all that weight around, so that can be a plus for running as the weight comes off. This is a lovely supportive group, looking forward to seeing you around.
  • balaff
    balaff Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, will there be a new discussion thread doe September? I may get the hang of this by then. (The.m community discussions that is.)
  • orangequilt
    Options
    balaff wrote: »
    Also, will there be a new discussion thread doe September? I may get the hang of this by then. (The.m community discussions that is.)

Oh yes there is one every month. Ravenstcloud sets it up and posts a link on this thread.
  • Sweatpants_Sassy
    Sweatpants_Sassy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    balaff wrote: »
    I don't totally know hown how to connect with people on these forums, but this group is definitely for me. I'm 290, 43 y/o, had a baby last year, have a 10 y/o disabled child and an 8 y/o typical child. I need to lose weight to improve my overall health. I would real enjoy a buddy to commiserate with on this journey.

Welcome @balaff you can certainly commiserate here...and ultimately celebrate I hope! When it comes to connecting with people, most are friendly and supportive. We all share a common goal to improve our health. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    @Sweatpants_Sassy : You are doing just the right things. We didn't get here overnight, we won't get out of it overnight. I am really proud of the work you've done to let yourself move more in your apartment, and I'm proud of you for eating good, real food in sensible portions. That's what it takes to lose weight.

I understand about being embarrassed by your body. Part of the reason that I cover up so much is that my body is not what I want it to be or like. I am waiting impatiently for the day that my waist measurement is smaller than hip and bust, because most clothing styles I like require the wearer to have a waist.

Therapy will give you tools to work on your mental assumptions while you work on your body. I believe very strongly in therapy.

@SFFirebird: Good job! It always makes you feel good to get on the scale and see it moving in your preferred direction.

@balaff :Good to meet you! This is a wonderful group of very wise and compassionate women. I think you'll like it here.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    KeriA wrote: »
    @ChrysalisCove guess what I put in my meal plan for this upcoming week. Sweet potato gnocchi. I found a recipe with ricotta cheese in it.

How was it?? 🍽
    (Sorry, I’ve been out of town)
  • amina71016
    amina71016 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread and am really looking forward to joining you inspiring women in September. I'm 39yo and a few weeks ago was at my highest ever non-pregnant weight (230) and I need some accountability. Feel free to add me as a friend, especially if you have an open diary as I am always looking for food ideas. I've got a 9yo and a 4yo and work full-time in a university IT dept.
  • lyo4ma
    lyo4ma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    pamiede wrote: »
    I lost a good friend today to breast cancer. I am devastated. My heart is breaking❣️ Cancer sucks ... just needed to share.

So sorry to hear that, cancer does suck. Sending lots of positive thoughts/prayers to help ease the burden of grief.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @pamiede So sorry to hear about your friend. Hugs and prayers to you and her family.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    @Sweatpants_Sassy: Exactly. I have friends who are big and they are extremely comfortable wearing a pencil skirt. I'm excessively uncomfortable about the idea, until my belly doesn't stick out and my hips don't bulge. It has nothing to do with what everyone else thinks, and everything to do with my own comfort levels.

@pamiede: I'm so sorry! Cancer does suck. Wishing you comfort and peace.
  • orangequilt
    Options
    @pamiede so sorry to hear about your friend xxx
    @Sweatpants_Sassy so sorry that happened to you, and well done on starting to regain your confidence with the outside world. It's a funny old time out there at the moment. Everyone I know has a new level of anxiety going on. Hugs xxx