Boosting Metabolism

Options

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Oh, the other very interesting test your doc can order for you is A1C. It s, normally, prescribed only to people with diagnosed diabetes 2, but to know it will be very interesting to find out how your are sensitive to insulin. People have no opportunity to measure it ,bc docs never order it. If your number comes back higher than 5.6, it indicates that your "average" blood glucose was elevated to 114 mmol/decL every minute of the last 3 months. It may be your simple reason why you can' t loose any weight. I just want to repeat, we just like your car: you push gas pedal, or you press break pedal, never together. The same is in your body: it's in the grow mode (when insulin is up) or you are in the burning mode using accumulated energy (insulin on the bottom but glucogon is up), never together.
    The other reason why you feel that your metabolism got low, it's your thyroid gland could decrease, it's activity. Most the problems with thyroid happens from consumption of too much carbs. Thyroid participates in carbs metabolism especially in women body, that's why most thyroid problems happen with women. You were asking why your hasband loose his weight easy, while you are strugling. This is on top of other differences between men and women. His body is larger. his muscle mass is larger, his basal metabolism heiger, he has more than 40 times testesterone, his adrenalin and other corticosteroidal hormones are more potent. If you awaer, human body has about 300 hormones enable us to use fat as energy, and only one, but very powreful hormone insulin, which allows us to store energy in the fat tissue. So you have very strong lever in you hands, to decrease insulin (at least for few hrs a day, to let your body to do it's job - get your body slimmer

I don't know why you keep saying, "Doctors never order this."

Every year since 1985 I have gotten a fasting blood test yearly as part of my regular physical exam AND they test A1C.

Where do you live that you have to pay out of pocket for these standard tests that are included in an insurance-paid yearly exam?

Totally as an aside, I live in Belgium and this definitely isn't a standard test here either, I had never heard of it before joining these forums. Not anything to do with paying out of pocket (universal healthcare here), I'm guessing doctors here just think a blood glucose test is sufficient (at least for non diabetics, I don't know what tests are ordered for people who have diabetes or an abnormal blood glucose test).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Oh, the other very interesting test your doc can order for you is A1C. It s, normally, prescribed only to people with diagnosed diabetes 2, but to know it will be very interesting to find out how your are sensitive to insulin. People have no opportunity to measure it ,bc docs never order it. If your number comes back higher than 5.6, it indicates that your "average" blood glucose was elevated to 114 mmol/decL every minute of the last 3 months. It may be your simple reason why you can' t loose any weight. I just want to repeat, we just like your car: you push gas pedal, or you press break pedal, never together. The same is in your body: it's in the grow mode (when insulin is up) or you are in the burning mode using accumulated energy (insulin on the bottom but glucogon is up), never together.
    The other reason why you feel that your metabolism got low, it's your thyroid gland could decrease, it's activity. Most the problems with thyroid happens from consumption of too much carbs. Thyroid participates in carbs metabolism especially in women body, that's why most thyroid problems happen with women. You were asking why your hasband loose his weight easy, while you are strugling. This is on top of other differences between men and women. His body is larger. his muscle mass is larger, his basal metabolism heiger, he has more than 40 times testesterone, his adrenalin and other corticosteroidal hormones are more potent. If you awaer, human body has about 300 hormones enable us to use fat as energy, and only one, but very powreful hormone insulin, which allows us to store energy in the fat tissue. So you have very strong lever in you hands, to decrease insulin (at least for few hrs a day, to let your body to do it's job - get your body slimmer

I don't know why you keep saying, "Doctors never order this."

Every year since 1985 I have gotten a fasting blood test yearly as part of my regular physical exam AND they test A1C.

Where do you live that you have to pay out of pocket for these standard tests that are included in an insurance-paid yearly exam?

I was also confused by this. I get this test at my annual physical and my insurance always covers it. I'm not even particularly high risk (my dad was a T2D, but my levels have always been normal and I don't have any risk factors beyond that family history). I didn't even bring it up, it's part of the regular test panel. For context, I live in the US and my insurance isn't particularly incredible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hello mfp friends, hopefully you can share some advice. My hubby and I are both trying our best to lose weight. My husband can take off weight pretty easy. I on the other hand am taking weight off so incredibly slow. I'm 5'8 and currently 260lbs. I'm 52 and have not gone through menopause (I'm sure hormones probably play a factor). I'm watching what I eat on a daily basis. I follow IF almost everyday. My calorie ranges from anywhere from 1200 to 1900 a day. I do light weight lifting and walking on a daily basis. I'm lucky if I take off 1lb a week. Many weeks I take off nothing. I know I am putting on muscle, but this is getting nutty. Any suggestions of how I can boost my metabolism and lose weight faster? Thank you.

1200-1900 calorie range is pretty big...I'd pick something in the middle that you can stick with more or less consistently. 1200 is very aggressive and overly aggressive for many and can be difficult to be consistent with. 1900 is closer to an average maintenance calorie target for most women unless they are pretty active. My guess would be that your range is ultimately leaving you with a very small deficit for the week which is going to be difficult to see on the scale as it can easily be masked by normal fluctuations. I know when I set myself up for 1/2 Lb per week loss it usually takes me 4-6 weeks to actually see that trend due to normal fluctuations.

There really isn't any way to boost your basal metabolism...it is what it is outside of putting on muscle mass...but even then, you're talking about pretty small increases to basal metabolism unless you're really packing on mass like a body builder. The only way to increase metabolism overall is to increase physical activity and exercise.

As life would have it, most people have a finite amount of time for dedicated exercise...I know I do. So I have strategies to increase my overall NEAT...I take the stairs when I go to my office...I take the scenic route when I need to use the restroom or go to the break room to get water and such...I park further away from my office building and forgo that "rock star" parking when I go to the store...I get up every hour just to move a little...I get up and go talk to colleagues rather than emailing them or buzzing them on the phone, etc. All that little stuff may seem insignificant, but it adds up.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do need to get up and move more. I tend to sit on my romp most of the day.

To answer your original question about boosting your metabolism, do exercise more.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-increase-metabolism/
  • deepsea117
    deepsea117 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Before you start anything...you need to get an estimate of your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR.) Not Basal (BMR), which is lower.

An RMR is an estimate of the amount of calories you need to go about on an average day--in other words, maintain your current weight. This may be higher than the "2000 calories" everyone automatically goes off.

When you weigh more, it takes more calories to move around. So when you go down to 1200 and fluctuate to 1900, its hard for your body to understand when to slow down or speed up your metabolism. It's like driving a car around by constantly peeling out and then braking. You want to drive smooth, gradual, consistent. That's also how you should diet.

I'm guessing by your height and weight, your RMR might be around 2300. So a 500 calorie deficit would be 1800 daily. That's not hard, once your body is READY. Like I told someone else on here:
    350 calorie deficit
    + 150 calories burned (activity)
    ...is STILL a 500 calorie deficit.

Plan on getting a little more active, and you won't have to cut out as much (so you'll be less hungry.) And that infographic is all true. I used that concept to drop 40lbs on MFP through quarantine. I logged my progress and it is very jagged, like everyone else's. You have to be patient and work your way to -500 a day, but I'm pretty sure you can do 200-300.

Good luck on your journey! (This IS a journey.)
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hello mfp friends, hopefully you can share some advice. My hubby and I are both trying our best to lose weight. My husband can take off weight pretty easy. I on the other hand am taking weight off so incredibly slow. I'm 5'8 and currently 260lbs. I'm 52 and have not gone through menopause (I'm sure hormones probably play a factor). I'm watching what I eat on a daily basis. I follow IF almost everyday. My calorie ranges from anywhere from 1200 to 1900 a day. I do light weight lifting and walking on a daily basis. I'm lucky if I take off 1lb a week. Many weeks I take off nothing. I know I am putting on muscle, but this is getting nutty. Any suggestions of how I can boost my metabolism and lose weight faster? Thank you.

1200-1900 calorie range is pretty big...I'd pick something in the middle that you can stick with more or less consistently. 1200 is very aggressive and overly aggressive for many and can be difficult to be consistent with. 1900 is closer to an average maintenance calorie target for most women unless they are pretty active. My guess would be that your range is ultimately leaving you with a very small deficit for the week which is going to be difficult to see on the scale as it can easily be masked by normal fluctuations. I know when I set myself up for 1/2 Lb per week loss it usually takes me 4-6 weeks to actually see that trend due to normal fluctuations.

There really isn't any way to boost your basal metabolism...it is what it is outside of putting on muscle mass...but even then, you're talking about pretty small increases to basal metabolism unless you're really packing on mass like a body builder. The only way to increase metabolism overall is to increase physical activity and exercise.

As life would have it, most people have a finite amount of time for dedicated exercise...I know I do. So I have strategies to increase my overall NEAT...I take the stairs when I go to my office...I take the scenic route when I need to use the restroom or go to the break room to get water and such...I park further away from my office building and forgo that "rock star" parking when I go to the store...I get up every hour just to move a little...I get up and go talk to colleagues rather than emailing them or buzzing them on the phone, etc. All that little stuff may seem insignificant, but it adds up.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do need to get up and move more. I tend to sit on my romp most of the day.

To answer your original question about boosting your metabolism, do exercise more.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-increase-metabolism/

Thank you for sharing this article. I found the myths also particularly interesting since it pretty much discredits everything I've read in my Women's Day magazine. It is good to know the truth though because I was seriously adding hot peppers to everything I could. I am definitely going to focus on my NEAT. This should be an easy fix! Thanks again. :)
    There's nothing wrong with adding chili peppers to everything. They're yummy, good for vitamin C. Win-win.

But they won't make you lose weight faster...unless you don't react well to pepprrs and they give you the runs, which might result in a quick (hot) drop but is unlikely to sustain once you rehydrate.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    and to continue the aside -HBa1c in Australia is only ordered as required - is routine 3 or 6 monthly ( depending on diabetes stability) for known diabetics, possibly ordered sometimes in other relevant conditions.

But is not a routine blood test for general check ups of everyone.

Fasting glucose- yes. but not HBa1c.

Nothing to do with cost - cost to patient anyway - as we have universal health care and blood tests for medical purposes do not cost the patient.

but our government body, Medicare, would probably send a Please Explain to any doctor who was ordering test outside the medical guidelines.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree with wolfman.

If you are certain that your logging is accurate...here's the How To link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Not using a food scale and not using the correct/accurate food items in the database could conceivably wipe out what you think is a calorie deficit on any given day, therefore negating weight loss.

But what wolfman says is spot on.

1200 or 1900 is a very large swing and will continue to thwart you.

I'd suggest you set your calorie goal manually at 1500. On exercise days (not weightlifting days) I'd suggest you add 200-300 more calories when you exercise at a moderate rate for an hour. Weightlifting really doesn't burn as many calories (plus you're not doing it non-stop for an hour.)

So on rest days eat 1500. On exercise days eat 1700-1900.

Get your protein up. Add in more fruit and vegetables. Profit.

Hi. I was just rereading this thread to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm really being careful on my portions and weighing just to make sure. Now as far as exercise, I have been doing my light weight lifting everyday (either at gym or home) plus I walk for 45 -60 min slowly. I had been counting weight lifting time as calories burned, but I will stop (I do move slow with them and they are light). So, since I walk everyday... should I count this as 'exercise days' or should I not because I go so slow (I walk on the treadmill at about a 2.5 and slight incline).
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I count my walking (dog walks at 2.5mph on flat ground). Then you can eat back some, none, or all of those calories.

BUT I have mfp set to sedentary and I track ALL of my exercise. I don’t recall if you said what you have it set at.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    I agree with wolfman.

If you are certain that your logging is accurate...here's the How To link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Not using a food scale and not using the correct/accurate food items in the database could conceivably wipe out what you think is a calorie deficit on any given day, therefore negating weight loss.

But what wolfman says is spot on.

1200 or 1900 is a very large swing and will continue to thwart you.

I'd suggest you set your calorie goal manually at 1500. On exercise days (not weightlifting days) I'd suggest you add 200-300 more calories when you exercise at a moderate rate for an hour. Weightlifting really doesn't burn as many calories (plus you're not doing it non-stop for an hour.)

So on rest days eat 1500. On exercise days eat 1700-1900.

Get your protein up. Add in more fruit and vegetables. Profit.

Hi. I was just rereading this thread to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm really being careful on my portions and weighing just to make sure. Now as far as exercise, I have been doing my light weight lifting everyday (either at gym or home) plus I walk for 45 -60 min slowly. I had been counting weight lifting time as calories burned, but I will stop (I do move slow with them and they are light). So, since I walk everyday... should I count this as 'exercise days' or should I not because I go so slow (I walk on the treadmill at about a 2.5 and slight incline).

Yeah, don't count your weightlifting as you describe it. You say it's Light weights, and really weightlifting done that way isn't going to burn very many calories at all. How many do you do? 15 reps times four or five exercises? Or are you maxing out on reps (working to muscle fatigue) and doing 30 different exercises?

45-60 minutes of "slow" walking is still walking. It isn't going to count for much either, if you are going too slow. You'll need to figure your miles per hour and calculate that way. I can't imagine it would be more than 100-150 calories. So, 1500 + (whatever number you get for your weight and MPH walk. I wouldn't worry about the incline at 2.5MPH.)

I would still count that 100-150 (or whatever it is) for the walking. That's just a glass of milk or a cookie, so it's not like you're adding 1,000 extra food calories.

Then stay the course for 4-6 weeks and see how your weight is doing.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,614 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to engage in more intense (or more suitably for now lengthier moderate) exercise, you may want to look into threads that discuss boosting your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis).

Once you account for being alive... NEAT is usually the second largest component of Calories out with deliberate exercise being a far third.

In spite of having a good amount of weight to lose, if you're starting from a position of low activity and TDEE then a slower loss rate would not be unexpected given it is hard to create an appreciable deficit out of a relatively small pie!