21 days of gluten free, because wheat is so addictive and toxic

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    ... Gluten-free is an allergy strategy, not a diet strategy....

From your post, it sounds as though examining your behavior and working on realistic behavior modifications during the next 21 days may be a strategy better suited to your 5 lb goal. Either way, I wish you the best.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Re: warm cookies right out of the oven. There’s a vendor that is very popular at our state fair, which would be going on right now if not for Covid. Anyway, they sell chocolate chip cookies by the bucket (literally), right out of the oven. Anyone that bakes cookies knows that right out of the oven is delicious. Cooled off the next day, nothing special.🤷🏻‍♀️

My thing is pizza. I would get full with a family size plunked in front of me, but I’d make a big dent in it before I couldn’t stuff more in my pie hole.

Discipline, is/was key for me get a handle on overeating foods I love. Just the way it has to be.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    hilla1996 wrote: »
    i find that if i have one cookie I am not satisfied until I finish them all

But I can eat one apple or one banana

I think wheat that is processed does not register correctly with our brain

especially wheat and sugar combo

I think the same of Honey Peanut Butter. But it's not scientific. That stuff is crack to me. And I could eat a whole jar of it without blinking an eye. Been there, done that.

But this is more of a volumetric argument, not a scientific one. Yes, our brains react different, I think, to highly process foods -- like fried, sugary calorie bombs -- than they do to fresh vegetables or fruit, which are high in fiber.

Well . . . maybe.

Personally, I think it's more that our brain reacts in predictable ways to pleasurable things (patterns of activation similar for some non-food pleasures), and the highly processed foods push those buttons, but don't trigger satiation or perceived fullness or whatever we want to call it (whether that's brain thing, or a hormone thing, or what, I dunno - the mind/body duality idea really doesn't work for me, conceptually - but that's a whole other discussion. 😆)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Aside from suffering with the authentic wheat &/or gluten allergy, you do not become 'toxed on wheat. If you were actually 'toxed your liver and kidneys wouldn't be working.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    But Gluten free cookies are also delicious.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    But Gluten free cookies are also delicious.

Yeah, the thing in my brain that makes me want lots of cookies still activates when I'm eating gluten-free sweets. It's not the gluten (at least for me).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agreed. ^^

My daughter had issues that required her to eliminate certain foods for a couple weeks to test possible allergies/sensitivities. She loves all bread foods, so when she had to eliminate gluten I went to the gluten free bakery to get a couple things for her. MAN! That is no way to reduce calories, I can attest to that!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    My husband has a newly-discovered intolerance to gluten. For his birthday, I got cupcakes from a gluten-free bakery. They were delicious, but were 600 CALORIES EACH! For what I consider to be an average-size cupcake. I knew gluten-free baked goods can have more calories, but I had no idea it was that significant.

they don't have to have more calories; they just did. maybe it was the frosting or they used a lot of oil. maybe some wheat cupcakes are also very high in calories when bought from a bakery.

i sometimes bake gluten free, and the calories are very similar to wheat baked goods. btw, GFJules gluten free flour is my favorite of the gluten free flours i've tried.