Do you wish: your significant other worked out!?

Replies

• Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    My partner and I both workout and are generally active people. We rarely workout together. We might show up to the gym together but we go do our own thing. We do a lot of hiking and walking together and other activities. I could not be with someone who wasn't interested in hiking or other activities. It's not about looks, it's about doing something we enjoy together.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    My wife has always been physically active and extremely attractive. Multiple large baby pregnancies had a cost she was willing to pay. However Ab work is no longer a possibility and legs ache from the veins. She does what she can. My love for her is not based on her outward appearance. However her self image has taken a blow and it has been challenge for her to watch my transition.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Doesn’t matter one way or the other to me as long as he doesn’t expect to work out with me 🤣🤣. All jokes aside we tried that for awhile and it didn’t work for me. I need significant cardio time and strength time for my goals and sanity- he does no cardio so he was always waiting for me to finish, etc. Gym time is my time for me and I don’t want to worry about anyone else’s needs or wants during that time. He has a chronic injury and is currently off the bandwagon and that is fine as well. He supports me in my choices as I support his.

I had this problem back when my husband used to work out. We belonged to a commercial gym and I would spend time doing extra cardio just so I wasn’t sitting doing nothing while I waited for him to finish. His weight workouts were about 2-2.5 hrs long...

I do weights in about 45 and then the remained cardio. I did A LOT of cardio when we went to the gym together lol
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's great for him to be healthy and feel good. But I can do without the mansplaining. So we rarely do it together. :D
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    I lift heavy weights @ the gym. I have asked my husband to come with and he said that he knows how much I enjoy it, that is my free time and he doesn't want to interfere with that. I am ok with that :D
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    jbboom23 wrote: »
    how do you feel about your significant other working out or do you wish they did? Alot of times I see ppl who workout and their partner doesn't. Are you OK with that or do you wish that could change? Are you more attracted to someone who works out or does it not matter?

My husband can be fit/healthy without working out. Working out is not for everyone. He should do what he enjoys doing for his health. Not something I or social media tells him to do because it’s my hobby or it’s popular. If he prefers to eat his TDEE and read on his spare time why would this bother me?
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    I do wish he worked out or was at least active. He is 10 years older than me and has some injuries and health issues that would be immensely helped by a more active lifestyle. I plan to live a long, active life, and I want him to be around for it! I dont nag him about it, though. I do my thing and he does his.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    how do you feel about your significant other working out or do you wish they did? Alot of times I see ppl who workout and their partner doesn't. Are you OK with that or do you wish that could change? Are you more attracted to someone who works out or does it not matter?

My husband can be fit/healthy without working out. Working out is not for everyone. He should do what he enjoys doing for his health. Not something I or social media tells him to do because it’s my hobby or it’s popular. If he prefers to eat his TDEE and read on his spare time why would this bother me?

Hopefully he gets some physical activity or unfortunately he or any will most likely not be healthy.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Hopefully he gets some physical activity or unfortunately he or any will most likely not be healthy.

“He should do what he enjoys doing for his health” covers that. Activity doesn’t have to be in the gym, that’s the point I’m making. Some people stay in shape being active, others play sports, hike, hunt, dance, work in a busy atmosphere. So the “working out” part is completely unnecessary unless it’s something they want to do. Makes no difference to me.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    My partner and I both workout and are generally active people. We rarely workout together. We might show up to the gym together but we go do our own thing. We do a lot of hiking and walking together and other activities.

This. Absolutely this.
    We spend quite a lot of time doing our own exercise at the same time in the same place.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    If by work out you mean do sport, then yes, because he loves it. And he's good at it. But he's a shift worker and uses that as an excuse to not do any exercise at all. It's a shame because I know that he enjoys it but he can't seem to find a way of fitting something in around his work.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Yep it's important to me, I'll say it. Before we had kids we used to go to the gym together and whilst we did our own thing once we got there, it was nice to have someone to spot for me or to do heavy lifts with. Looking after myself is important, not just because I want to look reasonable for my age, but because of the the health benefits. I use it to manage stress and I tend to think everyone is better off for doing exercise in some shape or form, it's a 'no-brainer' if you think about it. Therefore I am glad that my husband does exercise in some shape or form. I have dated people who don't look after themselves, I don't think I would want to go back to that. Not because it's the most important thing in life, but because obviously we only have one body, and whilst obsessing about it won't save anyone, we can hope to live a longer, more active life - hopefully with someone we love. :)
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    he's a grown man...i'm not his keeper
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I like when we go for walks together. But for the most part, working out w/ my SO is not 'ideal'. For now: I'm more fit and he is just getting restarted (maybe) so if I walk with him, its for the companionship and to encourage him. Not a great 'workout' for me. I want him to be healthy, so in that respect I want him to take care of himself.

But I don't really want him to workout with me. It would limit me.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

“He should do what he enjoys doing for his health” covers that. Activity doesn’t have to be in the gym, that’s the point I’m making. Some people stay in shape being active, others play sports, hike, hunt, dance, work in a busy atmosphere. So the “working out” part is completely unnecessary unless it’s something they want to do. Makes no difference to me.

As an FYI hunting does absolutely nothing to help anyone stay in shape lol.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I just want her to be as healthy as she can be and weight is just a part of that equation. I had to sit her down this year and actually ask her to not workout so much!

She had Fibromyalgia so bad around 6 years ago she literally couldn't do anything. We changed all of our eating habits and found Holistic/Integrative Health practitioners that helped. Along with our complete change of diet, supplements, exercise and chemicals, her health turned around to the point where she was working out six days a week. But I could tell her body wasn't recovering.

My daughter and I sat her down and said, look, you don't have to workout six days a week. She now works out 3 days a week -- longer workout times -- and allows her body to recover the next day. She's doing much better as a result. She (and I) have both put on around 5 pounds through Covid-19, but that's not a big deal. We're both tightening up the diet more to help with that.

She looks great at any weight to me. I don't. I guess if you're concerned about health, that's a legit reason to be concerned if someone doesn't do anything.