What’s your plan for the winter?

Options
As the temperature begins to change and it gets cooler, what are those who exercise outside going to do? Are you getting a gym membership? Do you exercise outdoors year-round? I had no intentions on getting a gym membership but it looks like I may have to. I just started consistently exercising in May and I’m a warm climate kind of girl. What are your plans?

Replies

• BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    My wife and I were just talking about this. We have 3 acres so our outdoors is like our fitness playground. We are out in the country so going to a gym is not necessarily optimal. At this point, I think we have decided to bundle up in base layers and keep having at what we are currently doing. A lot of our yard has zero shade, so when the sun is out, we might actually fry! I agree though - I am a warmer climate type guy. I like being out in the heat. When sweating bullets, it just makes me feel good.

PS - we are in Virginia.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You reminded me I need to shop for some waterproof trail shoes. I’m in Southern California so ‘winter’ is no big deal here. The only thing I really need to work around is rain, as I enjoy the cold a lot. The main trail I frequent once or twice a week closes at the first sprinkles, it’s a lot of clay mud and steep and rocky and ravines so I get it, people be slip-sliding off cliffs e’rywhere. There is a trail closer to me that is sandier/chalkier and I’m hoping between that and road I can get my runs in no problem.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Great questions. The snow will start falling on Labor Day weekend. I will snowshoe and keep hiking unless it's a real blizzard. I used to sign up for the gym in the wintertime with good intentions but it was like throwing more money down another rathole. Major blizzards, slick icy roads...I'd just look out the window. I took it all back outside. I had to find things I could do for the rest of my life without any excuses. The best part about the winter is that I don't have to worry so much about the grizzly bears. I have a gym right outside my door. No membership dues required.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm going to wax up my skis. Looking forward to it. 😁
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I'm building a home gym, and do my conditioning work outside. I hate winter, but I'll make do with training outside.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I run outside year round - looking forward to having more time flexibility with cooler weather! I get physically ill with heat and humidity so if I don’t get a run in first thing in the AM I won’t have a chance the rest of the day. In cooler weather I can run anytime I can or want to! I did have one not so fun day last year where I attempted to run in what I thought was going to be slush but the temp had already dropped so I battled ice patches for half a mile and gave up. I do have to be careful with temp fluctuations because anything drastic (high or low) can trigger a fibro flare that could last weeks. My functional range seems to get smaller each year which sucks.
    It depends a bit on how winter is this year, last year was unusually mild here in Sweden.

But in general I intend to keep going with my outdoor running and maintain my mileage (avg 100km per month) so I have a good stepping stone in the spring. I have running shoes with extra grip for ice.

I got a bike this year which is my primary mode of transportation to indoor exercise like aerial yoga and padel. I will fit winter tires on it, but if weather goes crazy I may drop frequency of these activities.

I live very close by a swimming pool so my backup will be to take to up swimming.

My at-home yoga practice should continue without disruption so long as I can keep getting up early despite the darkness!

What kind of shoes do you use for ice?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year 'round and it gets cold here in winter; it's all in the layering. I don't bike outside in the winter though, once there's snow on the ground my bike is on the trainer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    As the temperature begins to change and it gets cooler, what are those who exercise outside going to do? Are you getting a gym membership? Do you exercise outdoors year-round? I had no intentions on getting a gym membership but it looks like I may have to. I just started consistently exercising in May and I’m a warm climate kind of girl. What are your plans?

I dress for the occasion. I cycle outdoors year around. It can get cold here, but we don't get a lot of snow in the metro area so that's not usually an issue. If the weather is too in-climate, I have an indoor bike trainer I can mount my bike to and do YouTube spin classes or just watch TV and ride.

I also ski in the winter.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    For those that bike through the winter, what gear do you use? I am thinking ski goggles would be a nice addition - my eyes water so easily in the cold! Gloves, windproof jacket? I have the hardest time with layers, I like the pictographs for runners that show what you should wear for temp ranges, I refer to them often in anything but the warmest weather conditions.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Seeing this thread pop up over the past few days has gotten my anxiety up. I need to keep moving!

I'm now considering a slide board as well as continuing to run stairs in my condo building.

But if I can get out for some cross country skiing this winter, I'd be really happy.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options

What kind of shoes do you use for ice?

I have Icebugs, similar to this model:

https://icebug.com/p/pytho4-m-bugrip-r-blackruby

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For those that bike through the winter, what gear do you use? I am thinking ski goggles would be a nice addition - my eyes water so easily in the cold! Gloves, windproof jacket? I have the hardest time with layers, I like the pictographs for runners that show what you should wear for temp ranges, I refer to them often in anything but the warmest weather conditions.

I wear merino glove liners, long pants, a long sleeve base layer, and a softshell. Softshell meaning not completely wind or water -proof, it needs to breathe or I'm going to overheat going up hills, get all sweaty, and then freeze. A jacket that blocks most of the wind but lets a little in for cooling and to let heat and water vapor out works a lot better.

(Goretex ShakeDry is the $$$ exception, that stuff breathes fantastically.)

I don't find those what to wear at X degrees things very useful for three reasons. I run warm, so I'm comfortable with less insulation. Dew point has a big effect on how you feel. Most important, I need to dress for the effort I'm going to put out. A Z2 ride means I won't be making much heat, so I need to dress warmer, but if I'm going out to do hill repeats, I need to wear a lot less.
  • Jch4mb3rs
    Jch4mb3rs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I plan on continuing to exercise outside during the winter, and I live in Vermont. I don't know if trail running is a thing in the winter (my new favorite "sport") but im definitely looking forward to snow shooing the trails this winter, and if I can't run any of them then I will just run the roads.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Go into a deficit. Start a cutting cycle. And trim down before starting a new mass cycle in March which I will run for 16 weeks.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You all make me feel like a wimp! I'm in Southern AZ, have been working out at home outside since March, and am dreading coming winter. I'm not sure if I'll be comfortable returning to the gym by then, but dont want to invest in more home equipment until I know if I'm going to be able to brave the winter morning workouts.