Garden thread

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,569 Member
    Options
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I liked my white balloon flower so much I bought a blue one this spring. It was a later planting and the plant went into transplant shock so i didn't expect it to bloom this year. Well, it happened. The first photo is it last night, about to pop, and the second is it this morning. These really are fun flowers. Native to Asia and hardy for USDA zones 3-8. Taxonomical name: Platycodon Grandiflorus and it comes in pink, white, and a couple of shades of purple.

n9jq1ymy9it3.jpg

wow this is so cool! I dont think I've ever seen one before.

I agree, I need this in my life!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    As Douglas Adams wrote, "Best laid plans of mice...."

Actually it was Robert Burns in his poem "To A Mouse" (one of my favorites. Learned it in grade school and can still quote a lot of it 50 years later) ;) "Wee, sleekit, cowrin, timorous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie! . . . "

Yesterday's harvest (not including the chard because I picked that after the picture).

grk21netmh5j.jpg

Today's lunch was some of the Berkeley Pink Tie Dye tomatoes and fresh basil.

wsbzenladhp4.jpg

Yummy! Never heard of that tomato variety but they look a lot like the Cherokee Purple I planted 2 summers ago. Looked funny but man, were they tasty! My bedtime snack last night was a bowl of yellow pear tomatoes drizzled with balsamic glaze (and I hardly made a dent in the tomatoes).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,226 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

Actually it was Robert Burns in his poem "To A Mouse" (one of my favorites. Learned it in grade school and can still quote a lot of it 50 years later) ;) "Wee, sleekit, cowrin, timorous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie! . . . "

Robert Burns wrote that the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Douglas Adams was writing about something else. Near the end of Hitchhiker's Guide, Slartibartfast was speaking about the Vogons destroying the Earth and said, "The best laid plans of mice." Arthur said, "and men," referencing Burns. Slartibartfast said, "I don't think men had much to do with it." I haven't read that book in 30 years; funny what sticks in yer head.

Now back to gardening!

• earlnabby
    Options

Robert Burns wrote that the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Douglas Adams was writing about something else. Near the end of Hitchhiker's Guide, Slartibartfast was speaking about the Vogons destroying the Earth and said, "The best laid plans of mice." Arthur said, "and men," referencing Burns. Slartibartfast said, "I don't think men had much to do with it." I haven't read that book in 30 years; funny what sticks in yer head.

Now back to gardening!

Douglas Adams didn't write it, he quoted Burns. "Write it" implies original creation.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Not so happy and happy, not so happy first... so I put sweet potato slips in ground on morning of 8/27. They were shocked and droopy pretty quickly. As soon as night fell on the way back from a walk, I checked on them to see critters ate some of their leaves, but not all so immediately I covered them up. I was so upset, irritated...they weren't so pretty now but I was really worried about their survival. Next morning I took protectors off plants to find them perky and green and well despite less leaves. A week later they're thriving, so despite some critters munching, I'm thrilled over this! This is the before critters munched...hdwwqifs7ss8.jpg

Not so happy...no luck whatsoever with rosemary and basil but I'll keep trying. However, happy this is lovely lavender two months after sprouting up...a0ocr8wdzxt4.jpg

Unfortunately my Bell Pepper plants will be uprooted as they are basically dead and haven't had a chance to produce fruit. Five months after planting seeds, critters decided they were delicious after I had already deemed them "safe." Fortunately I have plenty of seeds and I'll do it again and protect them this go around... it just stinks to start over this late in the game when I should be getting ready to pick peppers for stuffed peppers and I'd be getting ready to do that now...oh well l, it's a learning experience.

Only happy here...one month after seeing the first little green tomato, it's filled out so much and is a peachy orange-ish color! There are many tomatoes out there now growing on the vines. I am love love loving this...omytrdbeztet.jpg

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I am so rich in figs just now, it’s fig everything over here. Even the neighbours are getting tubs full.

pfx2y3yppigr.jpeg

I planted garlic last weekend for harvest next year, and tomatoes, zucchini and a row of green beans. In a couple of weeks I will be sowing kale, spinach and broccoli. I also found a small amount of Foxglove seeds and had some spare pots, I didn’t get the rest of that pack to grow, so fingers crossed.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I am so rich in figs just now, it’s fig everything over here. Even the neighbours are getting tubs full.

pfx2y3yppigr.jpeg

I planted garlic last weekend for harvest next year, and tomatoes, zucchini and a row of green beans. In a couple of weeks I will be sowing kale, spinach and broccoli. I also found a small amount of Foxglove seeds and had some spare pots, I didn’t get the rest of that pack to grow, so fingers crossed.

Won't you be, won't you be, won't you be my neighbor??? :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I love having a garden every summer; I learn so much from what/where/how to plant. I just wish I'd remember it all come the next summer. :)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I love having a garden every summer; I learn so much from what/where/how to plant. I just wish I'd remember it all come the next summer. :)
    That’s my downfall :lol: I am horrible at remember things from year to year, and also have some kind of mental block to actually write it down.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar, do you know what type of lavendar that is? I know there are a bunch of kinds, most not hardy here. The ones I've grown have been narrow-leaved and thickly-leaved, gray-ish green foliage, and yours is very different, so I'm intrigued!
  • LoveyChar
    edited September 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @LoveyChar, do you know what type of lavendar that is? I know there are a bunch of kinds, most not hardy here. The ones I've grown have been narrow-leaved and thickly-leaved, gray-ish green foliage, and yours is very different, so I'm intrigued!

It was a seed (Sow Easy by Ferry Morse) but it only says lavender, not what type, on it. My daughter requested lavender to put under her pillow, as she heard it leads quickly to a peaceful lull. I'll be excited to see some flowers but not expecting any until spring (but not sure of that, either, as it may be sooner).
  • earlnabby
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »

It was a seed (Sow Easy by Ferry Morse) but it only says lavender, not what type, on it. My daughter requested lavender to put under her pillow, as she heard it leads quickly to a peaceful lull. I'll be excited to see some flowers but not expecting any until spring (but not sure of that, either, as it may be sooner).

TBH, I think you have something that self seeded in your pot. The only lavender on the Ferry Morse sight has thin silvery leaves.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

TBH, I think you have something that self seeded in your pot. The only lavender on the Ferry Morse sight has thin silvery leaves.
    Sadly I think that’s the case, looks very oak-ish to me :(
  • LoveyChar
    Options

Oh my goodness, you mean I'm babying a weed...?!? I'm kind of disgusted.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

Y'all know way way more than me. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?