Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Anyone here hesitate to share their goal weight?

2

Replies

  • dragon_girl26dragon_girl26 Member Posts: 2,176 Member Member Posts: 2,176 Member
    No..I just don't share it because my weight is no one's business lol. I really don't pay too much attention to anyone else's input on my weight except my doc. She said I still need to lose, and I agree.
    edited September 2020
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Yes I am. Now you see why I hesitate.

    Mind if I ask why you set a goal weight opposed to a goal look? Your weight is no ones business. Nor should it be something to centralize around. It's a number. Unless you're unhealthy. Then whatever. As long as you are happy with how you look.

    I'm currently 212 at 6' and think I look tiny. Why do you choose to go so low?

    Well I have been big plenty before and I have always wanted to get very lean.

    You can be very lean at 180-190. I normally sit at around 10-12% at that weight. Itll just require some work and itll be much more comfortable than for lack of a better word being a stick at 160
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    durhammfp wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Why do you choose to go so low?
    His goal weight for his height is not considered "so low" according to most medical professionals. 160 lbs puts him almost dead center in what is considered the healthy weight range.


    Are you going off BMI?
  • threewinsthreewins Member Posts: 885 Member Member Posts: 885 Member
    I don't mind people knowing my goal weight but it's rare for men my height to have goal weights lower than mine. I base that on old 600+ person Reddit spreadsheets from around 2012. I have trouble relating to men who have a goal weight 20+ kg heavier than me in terms of their eating/exercise plans.

    Anyway the reason my weight is low is my body lacks muscle and also I grew up and was an adult for a while with a lean body. My goal weight is 64 kg naked / 66 dressed.
    edited September 2020
  • springlering62springlering62 Member, Premium Posts: 3,795 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3,795 Member
    No one IRL ever asked my goal weight, nor have they asked my current weight, and if anyone had, I’d’ve macked it off. Only on MFP do I feel like I have the freedom to ratchet on about these things (outside of my long suffering DH).

    My initial goal weight was 160. That was pie in the sky and I was certain I’d never see it, but I reached it faster than I thought. It amazed me how fast that plugging away at it happened. It really is the tortoise and the hare, folks.

    I set two or three more goal weights after that. The second was fairly easy as well.

    The last goal took months to reach due to intervening events, but, strangely, quarantine pushed me through it. To maintain, I lowered calories the day quarantine started and took advantage of a walking trail on my doorstep, which became my outlet, rather than stewing in the house.

    I’m still not certain about final weight. I’ve got a dexa scan scheduled Tuesday. My first experience with Dexa was ego crushing. I was sure I was really low 20’s but scanned at 30%. My trainer is betting me I’m below 20% now. If so, I’m done and ready for maintenance.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,867 Member Member Posts: 24,867 Member
    Does anyone here hesitate to share their goal weight because they think some people will think it’s too low? If so, what is your goal weight? Mine is 160, I’m 6’0”

    I wouldn't share my goal weight because people would think it was too high. However, nobody has asked. I believe I have said X more pounds without controversy.

    If people ask and you feel the need to give a number, you could always give your goal in terms of BMI. Yours is 22, right in the middle of Normal.

    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    zlggr63alych.jpg
    So this is 180lbs. 6ft. Fairly lean. I'm just not sure how cutting 20lbs from that could be in the middle of normal..
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Yes I am. Now you see why I hesitate.

    Mind if I ask why you set a goal weight opposed to a goal look? Your weight is no ones business. Nor should it be something to centralize around. It's a number. Unless you're unhealthy. Then whatever. As long as you are happy with how you look.

    I'm currently 212 at 6' and think I look tiny. Why do you choose to go so low?

    Well I have been big plenty before and I have always wanted to get very lean.

    You can be very lean at 180-190. I normally sit at around 10-12% at that weight. Itll just require some work and itll be much more comfortable than for lack of a better word being a stick at 160

    To be frank your word choice kind of sucks. A negative connotation regarding a perfectly healthy weight goal is unnecessary. Not everyone wants to look like you.

    I'm not here sugar coat, I appreciate you saying something however. It takes courage and I respect anyone willing to call me out. And my apologies. I'm here to share my experiences.

    Also my apologies. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to look like me. Just trying to show op that goal weights arent good and can be unhealthy..because it can result in a fixation on that number opposed to what they actually look like. It could potentially be an eating disorder if all they focus on is that number. I'm saying this from concern and experience
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    zlggr63alych.jpg
    So this is 180lbs. 6ft. Fairly lean. I'm just not sure how cutting 20lbs from that could be in the middle of normal..

    On you, it wouldn't. You look great, as I'm sure you know.

    But narrower shoulders, less muscle mass? Different bodies' "lean" is a different look, or a different number, even at the same height. If your point is that building muscle would be a better goal, OK. OP can consider that, if he likes.

    Your weight at "lean" isn't necessarily applicable to all others of the same height.

    I'm female, 5'5", BMI 21 (about 126 pounds), not completely devoid of muscle (but not super muscular either). Many women my height would be way too thin at my weight, but I'm built more like a 14-year-old boy than a 64-year-old woman: Very narrow hips, no breasts (post mastectomies, no reconstruction). My weight doesn't generalize to others, sight unseen. No one's favorite or even objectively "best" weight generalizes to others, sight unseen.

    I appreciate your response Ann. And I totally get what you're saying. However take a look at this. I have a very small bone structure for a man and very narrow shoulders. All of my width is from muscle mass. This is a photo from when I was nearing my eating disorder. Eating 1200 cals a day at 157. Focusing on nothing but that scale.
  • Suuzanne37Suuzanne37 Member, Premium Posts: 114 Member Member, Premium Posts: 114 Member
    I didn’t have a goal weight when I started my journey. I wanted to get within my healthy BMI range. I am now at normal BMI but I want to remain at the top of the range and focus on building strength✨
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    ew9b822jar73.jpg

    @AnnPT77. This is where my concern stems from. From personal experience and almost starving myself for that "goal weight" opposed to look

    Also you're strong as hell for winning that fight. Glad you did.
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    And OP. @AnnPT77 @msalicia07 . Sorry if my posting sounds like an attempt to get affirmation or good job buds. It's not. Sometimes it's easier to explain with visuals. If I was fishing for compliments I'd just go onto tinder or an AAS forum Haha.

    I support OP in whatever choice they make. Just trying to show goal weights arent all they're cracked up to be. As I was 230lbs out of high school. Triplechins. And that need to be thin drove me down an unhealthy path. I'm just hoping OP doesn't go down it as well.
  • sijomialsijomial Member Posts: 18,897 Member Member Posts: 18,897 Member
    @jessef593

    160lbs is the upper limit for the middleweight boxing division and there's plenty of fighters with great physiques in that division and around your height.

    That being 160lbs would be wrong for you doesn't make BMI inappropriate as a guideline for the general population (who are strangers to the gym!) let alone inappropriate for the OP who may simply aspire to a different physique to you.

    I do agree with your point that goal weights can carry risks and as the OP has never been very lean he may well be well advised to reassess as he get lower. Goals can be great motivators but there is a downside too if that goal turns out to be wrong. Appreciate your honesty BTW.
  • supercpa999supercpa999 Member Posts: 355 Member Member Posts: 355 Member
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Yes I am. Now you see why I hesitate.

    Mind if I ask why you set a goal weight opposed to a goal look? Your weight is no ones business. Nor should it be something to centralize around. It's a number. Unless you're unhealthy. Then whatever. As long as you are happy with how you look.

    I'm currently 212 at 6' and think I look tiny. Why do you choose to go so low?

    Well I have been big plenty before and I have always wanted to get very lean.

    You can be very lean at 180-190. I normally sit at around 10-12% at that weight. Itll just require some work and itll be much more comfortable than for lack of a better word being a stick at 160

    To be frank your word choice kind of sucks. A negative connotation regarding a perfectly healthy weight goal is unnecessary. Not everyone wants to look like you.

    Thank you @msalicia07
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    @jessef593

    160lbs is the upper limit for the middleweight boxing division and there's plenty of fighters with great physiques in that division and around your height.

    That being 160lbs would be wrong for you doesn't make BMI inappropriate as a guideline for the general population (who are strangers to the gym!) let alone inappropriate for the OP who may simply aspire to a different physique to you.

    I do agree with your point that goal weights can carry risks and as the OP has never been very lean he may well be well advised to reassess as he get lower. Goals can be great motivators but there is a downside too if that goal turns out to be wrong. Appreciate your honesty BTW.

    And I agree. There are flaws in what I'm saying and everyone has different goals. I'm completely speaking from experience and you're very right. Not everyone wants to look lean, big, heavier or anything in between and thats completely okay. I personally just find it to be very low for our height. Which is a matter of opinion and I admit.

    However the reason I do not agree with BMI because apparently at 212lbs 6'. I'm very overweight. Unhealthily apparently. It's a flawed measurement that's based off a guideline.

    And thanks @sijomial . I'll always be honest on here.
  • supercpa999supercpa999 Member Posts: 355 Member Member Posts: 355 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    And OP. @AnnPT77 @msalicia07 . Sorry if my posting sounds like an attempt to get affirmation or good job buds. It's not. Sometimes it's easier to explain with visuals. If I was fishing for compliments I'd just go onto tinder or an AAS forum Haha.

    I support OP in whatever choice they make. Just trying to show goal weights arent all they're cracked up to be. As I was 230lbs out of high school. Triplechins. And that need to be thin drove me down an unhealthy path. I'm just hoping OP doesn't go down it as well.

    Thank you, I appreciate that
  • LoveyCharLoveyChar Member Posts: 3,655 Member Member Posts: 3,655 Member
    My goal weight of 105 is low but within a normal BMI for my heighth. Before I ran my first Marathon in February, I dropped down to 99 pounds (running crazy miles can do that to a person) and gained three of it back in the two weeks leading into it (taper down week). I'm about 107-108 now but that's too heavy for me; I can feel those extra 5 in a run and I hate it. I'm working to lose them. So while my number is low it's about health and performance for me but it's not about trying to look any certain way, necessarily.
Sign In or Register to comment.