• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Hey! Congratulations on wanting to begin your weightlifting journey. There are a lot of programs out there, some of course are better than others. I fully suggest checking out builtwithscience.com. Yes, as others have stated, you do not need to follow a program specifically for women. However, programs designed for women will focus more on a strong core and building the lower half...butt and legs. In the built with science program, he has programs specifically for women that need to lose body fat and want to gain muscle. He teaches how to properly eat, mainly more protein, while in a calorie deficit. He also has programs for those not ready for a gym or no access to a gym at this time. IMO, it is well worth checking out! Good luck.

Personally, I despise any program that focuses on my lower half while ignoring my top half. Why do I want to tone my legs and butt and have flabby arms??? 😂 😂😂

The lower body has a hell of a lot more muscle mass than the upper body. A proper program will have both upper and lower body exercises, the lower body will by necessity have a higher focus.

Not sure why you would think that. And if you ignore, put little focus on your upper body, what happens when you reach goal weight? Ideally your toned at that point, but if you didn’t spend enough time focusing on the top half you will have a toned butt, thighs, and quads with a flabby stomach, chest and arms. Who wants that?!?! I question anyone with an aesthetic goal that ignores upper body or focuses less on upper body. You need to focus on BOTH for aesthetic purposes 😜

It really depends on someone's goals and starting point. I think completely ignoring upper body would not be wise, but focusing on lower does not mean not doing upper. I personally don't do a lot of upper work. I don't enjoy it. I absolutely love my upper body as is and prefer not to overwork it. I definitely don't have capped shoulders or visible popping bicep muscles (which are amazing and I love that look on other women) but I am far from flabby in the upper body. My arms are lean and slim and they suit me. Everyone has different goals and there are programs written with that in mind.

Even if you focused on upper body, you still WOULD NOT have popping bicep muscles or capped shoulders. There is SO much more involved in building that muscle than just focusing on upper day... You are saying something that simply isn’t possible without SIGNIFICANT effort and seriously perfected diet...

So are you assuming I don't put significant effort into my training? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I am talking about myself here not other women. I know my body. I've been lifting for over 6 years. I've run three bulk cycles so I would likely have larger arms if I had focused on them more. Not huge ones but slightly larger than they are now. But I'm not even saying I would have that, I was just stating I don't have that. I was responding to you saying that people that didn't focus enough on upper body would look flabby.

It depends on so many factors.

In any case some women prefer to work their lower body more. If there is a market for it, there are programs for it. You don't have to run them or agree with them. My goals are not your goals so keep doing you, and I'll keep doing me. :)

By SIGNIFICANT effort I’m referring to consistently lifting heavier than last time or increasing reps, PLUS eating at a surplus, PLUS eating enough protein to build muscle. Again, lifting alone ISNT going to make you have buldging muscles regardless of effort and to think that it would is frankly, wrong. Just trying to help educate yet another woman who seems to think packing on a ton of muscle is “easy”. Have a good one!
  • Dogmom1978
    No one magically puts on muscle without effort. No one period regardless of “efficient hypertrophy”; how absurd to make a comment that bam you lifted some weights and now bulked up lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I used to work with someone that argued with themself......

(Or possibly themselves as they spoke in two different voices.)
  • Dogmom1978
    sijomial wrote: »
    I used to work with someone that argued with themself......

(Or possibly themselves as they spoke in two different voices.)

Ok then... 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I used Nia Shanks' Be A Beautiful Badass program for the first few years (hence the screen name). I think I paid $30 for the e-book and it had enough different programs to keep me busy for a few years. Money well spent!

I also really like Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.

I've heard great things about New Rules of Lifting for women, but haven't done it.

I bought both "Strong Curves" and "Strong," the followup book to "New Rules of Lifting for Women," and didn't like either of them :)

I'm not a beginner, and don't think they are suitable for beginners. IIRC, there was also an annoying amount of flipping around through both books.

For beginners, I'd recommend "The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too!"

https://smile.amazon.com/RBG-Workout-How-Stays-Strong/dp/1328919129/
  • CipherZero wrote: »
    Hey! Congratulations on wanting to begin your weightlifting journey. There are a lot of programs out there, some of course are better than others. I fully suggest checking out builtwithscience.com. Yes, as others have stated, you do not need to follow a program specifically for women. However, programs designed for women will focus more on a strong core and building the lower half...butt and legs. In the built with science program, he has programs specifically for women that need to lose body fat and want to gain muscle. He teaches how to properly eat, mainly more protein, while in a calorie deficit. He also has programs for those not ready for a gym or no access to a gym at this time. IMO, it is well worth checking out! Good luck.

Personally, I despise any program that focuses on my lower half while ignoring my top half. Why do I want to tone my legs and butt and have flabby arms??? 😂 😂😂

The lower body has a hell of a lot more muscle mass than the upper body. A proper program will have both upper and lower body exercises, the lower body will by necessity have a higher focus.

Agreed! I never said the programs I recommended did not work the upper body, just has more focus on core and lower body.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 940 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Weight training won't help with fat loss (in fact, you may need to watch your calories a bit more closely since it can result in hunger level disproportionate to the small number of calories burned), but will result in nice muscle definition and looking better at whatever weight you are/will be.

This is my personal favorite (it's about as 'Keep-It-Simple-Stupid' as it gets, which makes it easy to fit into schedule and make it routine): https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/ (1 leg + 1 push + 1 pull movement per session, alternating which for each of those every other session)(I had really nice results in much less time than expected for being in & out of the gym in 30 minutes only 2-3x per week). The thread posted above has a variety of programs you can check out.

I want to thank-you for posting this. It's exactly what I have been looking for. Not complicated and I know I can follow it.... I will be starting this today! :)