How much do you exercise weekly?

Replies

• BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    JadeMC42 wrote: »
    BahstenB10 - I'm getting older and my metabolism is slowing down but my career depends on my ability to complete arduous workouts. So I have to exercise quite often. I do a running and strength circuit Monday, lifting Tuesday, weighted run and circuit Wednesday, calisthenics and cardio Thursday morning followed by weights in the afternoon, weighted hike on Friday (this week) and usually power walk for low impact on the weekends. If you count the power walking im looking at 8 or 9 depending on the week.

Looks like we workout very similarly except I don't really have hiking trails on these parts. :smile: Inspired today!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do those of you who exercise multiple hours per day work? I work full time and cannot see how to fit in over 2hrs of exercise per day. I still have responsibilities at home too.
  • BahstenB10
    edited September 2020
    Do those of you who exercise multiple hours per day work? I work full time and cannot see how to fit in over 2hrs of exercise per day. I still have responsibilities at home too.

I have a full time job. My working out does not equate to 2 hours a day. I wouldn't survive. My 2 a days are spent with 30-45 minutes in the stairwell at work running stairs and 45 minutes when I get home doing a circuit routine. BUT I also do get up every hour and take the long way to and from bathroom, break room, etc and manage to get my steps in every day before I leave the office which may include a walk on my lunch break. Saturday is my only rest day in which I do yard work and with 3 acres is enough. My longest workout is on Sundays at 90 minutes and the days I don't do 2 a days, it is about an hour when I get home. I don't go to the gym so it saves on time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

I guess it kinda depends on what you're doing. When healthy I typically get in a 45-60 minute ride in early in the morning before I start work. I usually take a walk with the family in the evening as well, so I normally get in a couple hours of activity per day.

The only time I've ever done multiple hours of exercise...as in really working...was when I was actively training for races and events...but even then, it wasn't everyday. I would have "two-a-days" a couple of times during the week...typically riding in the morning and then the weight room in the evening and then I would have my 2-4 hour rides on a Saturday or Sunday.

I only hit the weight room now once per week on Friday with a one on one trainer...so most of my exercise and activity is me walking out my front door with my bike to go ride or doing some band work in my living room or walking with the family in the neighborhood. I'm also working from home now and for the foreseeable future, so I don't have the 2 hour daily commute I used to have.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I use to work out like 1.5 - 2.5hrs a day, double workouts... 6-7 days per week.... When I get trying to lose weight initially... Always terrified of gaining weight...

Now I workout 5 days/week... Usually about 45m each day with 15 min of cardio including... So it's only about 30min of weight lifting with 9-12 heavy sets in there...

I've learned that all the work I was doing was not really needed and just made it super difficult to control my appetite...

It's better to not kill yourself every day and just learn to control your diet...
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited September 2020
    If you added it all up, usually I try to do 3-4 hours of intentional exercise each week. I am in maintenance.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

On average, I probably exercise more than two hours per day. I achieve that through longer workouts on the weekends, when I don't work. I also prioritize it above other hobbies and I have a relatively simple home life (deliberately downsized into a small apartment that is easy to keep up with, no kids, husband who doesn't expect me to cook for him or clean up after him). I realize it isn't something that everyone can achieve, but I think at least *some* people who think it isn't attainable for them might find it is attainable if it was their priority. It's just a matter of what you're willing to subtract.

(This isn't directed at you, I'm not at all saying that you could do it if you wanted to. I clearly have no idea what your situation is).
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I run 4x per week. Lift heavy / spin 2x per week. Rest 1x per week.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I was just wondering because I do take the time to workout close to 1 hr in the morning, and then lift 2x weekly after work, one run after work, Friday night off. But my husband doesn't want all free time after work to be me in the gym or running. I need to make dinner, eat, prep for work, have down time, etc. But I do think working out is a priority.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    @DancingMoosie
    I'm retired (apart from a very part time job) which gave me a lot more time to exercise but probably just as big a factor was my children growing up and needing less of my time. In my 30's & 40's I simply didn't have the same amount of "me time" as I gained in my 50's.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

I don’t have children at home and I have worked at for almost a decade (so I don’t have a commute). I do nearly all bulk cooking on the weekends (so very little cooking during the week). I don’t watch TV (apart from what’s on in my gym when I workout). My partner works overnights so my evening workouts coincide with time when he is usually sleeping.

The bulk of my workout hours are on the weekend (long runs and all). My during the week workout time is typically not over 2 hours (except some days in my heaviest training weeks)-and my rest days are also during the week (and full rest-I don’t do walks/hikes/yoga/etc) and that’s usually when I run my errands (grocery shopping and stuff).

I also discuss my training plans with my partner before I commit to something that requires lengthy training time commitments (like an ultramarathon).
    I make sure he’s on board with that meaning we will have less time together for a few weeks, and I might need him to do more or different things than usual on my heaviest training weeks. Also I will be tired and grumpy. He deserves to know when he’ll need a bomb suit to talk with me.

My life seems fairly similar to @janejellyroll in that this is basically the priority for me, I’m not caring for children or a large home, and my partner is supportive and self sufficient. Also as Jane mentioned-not saying this is possible for anyone in particular or everyone-just that my situation lines up with hers.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Currently going to the gym for weight training just 2-3 hours a week. Work a fairly active job six days a week.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Depending on the season, I lift 3-4 x/week and skate (inline speed) or bike 2-3 x/week.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member

I weight train 3 days a week, which consists of roughly 90 minutes. I do my conditioning training 3 days a week, which consists of roughly 30 minutes. I have a family, and find then time.
  • glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    I swim laps 3-4 days per week for 30 mins each session (that is mostly due to covid-related restrictions on how long you can use the pool at my gym).
    I would like to add strength training before that to up my workout game/my strength. I might try for that today!

My goal is to shed about 10-15 extra pounds (my weight isn’t most important—if my weight stays about the same but I’m more toned/fit, then I’m perfectly content. I just have weak muscles and excess flab right now). I ultimately want to be more toned than anything else, lean muscle.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I don’t have children at home and I have worked at for almost a decade (so I don’t have a commute). I do nearly all bulk cooking on the weekends (so very little cooking during the week). I don’t watch TV (apart from what’s on in my gym when I workout). My partner works overnights so my evening workouts coincide with time when he is usually sleeping.

The bulk of my workout hours are on the weekend (long runs and all). My during the week workout time is typically not over 2 hours (except some days in my heaviest training weeks)-and my rest days are also during the week (and full rest-I don’t do walks/hikes/yoga/etc) and that’s usually when I run my errands (grocery shopping and stuff).

I also discuss my training plans with my partner before I commit to something that requires lengthy training time commitments (like an ultramarathon).
    I make sure he’s on board with that meaning we will have less time together for a few weeks, and I might need him to do more or different things than usual on my heaviest training weeks. Also I will be tired and grumpy. He deserves to know when he’ll need a bomb suit to talk with me.

My life seems fairly similar to @janejellyroll in that this is basically the priority for me, I’m not caring for children or a large home, and my partner is supportive and self sufficient. Also as Jane mentioned-not saying this is possible for anyone in particular or everyone-just that my situation lines up with hers.

Haha, I also do that thing where I partner with my husband before signing up for something that I think will be particularly challenging. The spouses of endurance runners put up with a lot, I think it's only fair they get a say (and a warning!). :D
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    On Oct 1 2018 I started losing weight, and 11 months later I had lost ~45 lbs.

On Sept 15 2019 I started C25K and have run consistently ever since.

I'm up to running 5x/week, This week I will be up to 20 mpw. By the end of the year I want to be up to 30 mpw.

The entire past year I have been at maintenance but now I'm trying to lose the last few (5-10-15?) pounds.
  • BahstenB10
    I swim laps 3-4 days per week for 30 mins each session (that is mostly due to covid-related restrictions on how long you can use the pool at my gym).
    I would like to add strength training before that to up my workout game/my strength. I might try for that today!

My goal is to shed about 10-15 extra pounds (my weight isn’t most important—if my weight stays about the same but I’m more toned/fit, then I’m perfectly content. I just have weak muscles and excess flab right now). I ultimately want to be more toned than anything else, lean muscle.

I miss swimming laps. WAHH.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    edited September 2020
    I am just restarting again but doing some kind of activity every day. I'm exercising 15-30 minutes a day between using a Total Gym, aerobic dance or walking in hilly area. I have to lose 100+ pounds
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Currently injured so only training upper body and accessory stuff 4x a week. Usually I do oly weightlifting 4x a week for c2hrs, and walk my dog for an hour cross country each day.
    I miss my walks 😢