Anyone Else Trying to Lose a "Mommy Tummy"?

I am 23 months post partum from having my 2nd child and also my 2nd c-section. I've been trying to get in shape for about 8-9 months but didn't get serious again (after the pandemic started) until this past June 2020 when I took up jogging 1-2 miles and 10-15 mins of core work in the mornings. Got my whole body pretty toned but it didn't do anything for my lower belly pooch.

So after my last post on not seeing much of a difference in my weight (I've only lost around 3 lbs total), I am now doing the following:
  • Mon, Weds, Fri - starting at 6am, I run 1 mile, then lift weights for 25 mins
  • Tues & Thurs - I run 2-3 miles
  • Try and stick to a 1200 calorie diet (weekends I allow some cheating.
  • try and up my protein
  • drink at least 70 oz of water daily
  • Wear a waist trainer for 8 hours (M-F) to reduce belly bloat (I bloat anytime I eat)

Any other tips for losing the lower belly? My goal is to be lean and fit enough next summer to look great in a bathing suit or a T-shirt without looking 1st trimester pregnant.

Other notes for reference:
  • I am 5'1
  • I am doing diastis recti exercises though I am not totally sure I have that issue
  • I don't have periods anymore due to hysterectomy
  • I am 42

qc2n9s6n1vku.jpg

u8chuimoktmt.jpg

jlhoxs3ujkif.jpg

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    I think you look great!
  • lilcharmer214
    lilcharmer214 Posts: 75 Member
    Womona wrote: »
    I think you look great!

Thanks! I wanna keep it up and look better.
  • tushitatravellogue
    tushitatravellogue Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2020
    Hello there.. am 13 months postpartum, am 5'3 and weight is 121 lbs.. my weight is pretty much in the range, but the mommy pooch won't budge .... It's sitting there like a pot belly...
    I wake up with flat looking belly and by lunch time I look pregnant 😂

On my own am unable to figure out if I have diastasis recti, and unable to meet a physiotherapist yet. I did discuss the point in one of the threads, and one important feedback I got was to get this point clarified before trying any workout as this can cause more injuries..
    Intense core workout is not suggested with DR...

One of the members shared few DR exercises, you can see if that helps too -

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809991/closing-diastasis-recti-core-muscle-seperation-gap-with-exercises#latest

If you have the possibility to meet the physiotherapist you should get this point ruled out. I plan to do the same as soon as I have the opportunity.

Am also dealing with bloating, with feedback from community members I tweaked my diet and I can see an improvement .. you could try doing that ..

And kudos on your accomplishments till now !!
  • tushitatravellogue
    tushitatravellogue Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2020
    Also the below links maybe useful, I got this from the community members -

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

P.S am not trying anything yet, until I get clearance on diastasis recti..
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Hi!!! First off, you look great!

For me personally, what has worked for losing the "mom tummy" is a combination of two things:

-calorie deficit to lose overall fat
    -pilates and PT exercises to activate the TA and heal a DR

I've also accepted that my stomach will never look the same. My muscles have stretched and even though I've 'healed' my DR, it still just won't ever be as concave as it once was. Also, healed means I have a 1 fingertip gap. Also, when I do lose fat and my stomach gets flatter, my skin looks worse. So just a warning on that. The skin over my lower tummy area specifically gets very loose and wrinkly when I get lean, just from stretching from 2 pregnancies.

That being said, since your post was specifically about the lower belly "1st trimester" look, I would say it would be worth it for you to try and see a women's health/pelvic floor PT to eval for a DR and help activate your TA. Idk if that's possible for you right now (COVID, $$, etc). Some are covered by insurance and others are super expensive. Another option is to do a virtual pilates session, like a one on one session. A lot of pilates instructors are very skilled at helping you access your deep core muscles and kind of rebuild your core after kids. It has been a process for me, my youngest is 4.5 and I'm still working on it. But right now I do weekly one on one virtual pilates, which has helped SO much.

Hope this is helpful!!!!
  • lilcharmer214
    Also the below links maybe useful, I got this from the community members -

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

P.S am not trying anything yet, until I get clearance on diastasis recti..

Hey!

Thanks so much for responding. Will check these out.
  • lilcharmer214
    Raegold wrote: »
    Hi!!! First off, you look great!

For me personally, what has worked for losing the "mom tummy" is a combination of two things:

-calorie deficit to lose overall fat
    -pilates and PT exercises to activate the TA and heal a DR

I've also accepted that my stomach will never look the same. My muscles have stretched and even though I've 'healed' my DR, it still just won't ever be as concave as it once was. Also, healed means I have a 1 fingertip gap. Also, when I do lose fat and my stomach gets flatter, my skin looks worse. So just a warning on that. The skin over my lower tummy area specifically gets very loose and wrinkly when I get lean, just from stretching from 2 pregnancies.

That being said, since your post was specifically about the lower belly "1st trimester" look, I would say it would be worth it for you to try and see a women's health/pelvic floor PT to eval for a DR and help activate your TA. Idk if that's possible for you right now (COVID, $$, etc). Some are covered by insurance and others are super expensive. Another option is to do a virtual pilates session, like a one on one session. A lot of pilates instructors are very skilled at helping you access your deep core muscles and kind of rebuild your core after kids. It has been a process for me, my youngest is 4.5 and I'm still working on it. But right now I do weekly one on one virtual pilates, which has helped SO much.

Hope this is helpful!!!!

Thanks! I will definitely speak to someone to get a better look at my stomach. I feel like I am on the right path so there may be something else going on.