Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    klw49 wrote: »
    I am at 255 and have not been able to lose anything. I have been doing mfp for about 3 weeks now. I'm 71 with arithritus and I can only do some exercise. Help please.

Hello and welcome. You're doing mfp, exercising as you can, and you've joined a good group of friends to support you. What a great start!

When you say you've been doing mfp for 3 weeks, do you mean you've been keeping a food diary? Has it been helpful in identifying where you may need to change some habits? For instance, a need to drink more water or to focus on lighter breakfast or lunch because you're nearly out of calorie allowance before dinner. Although not formal 'exercise', just finding ways to move more throughout the day can make a difference--taking the long way to the kitchen, making two trips out of one when doing laundry, etc. I'm learning from this group that identifying and setting mini-goals like these are very helpful and that losing weight will follow.
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    Sunday check-in

Last week: 201.0
    Today: 199.6

Holy smokes! I'm below 200!

Seeing a pound+/- loss each week is nice but it can also be discouraging to have things go so slowly. After all, what's a measly pound when I have so many more to lose? Then you hit a milestone :)

This week’s goal: restock the cupboards (less cookies, more apples), increase the water intake, keep moving, and stay positive.

Donna
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    Sunday check-in

Last week: 201.0
    Today: 199.6

Holy smokes! I'm below 200!

Seeing a pound+/- loss each week is nice but it can also be discouraging to have things go so slowly. After all, what's a measly pound when I have so many more to lose? Then you hit a milestone :)

This week’s goal: restock the cupboards (less cookies, more apples), increase the water intake, keep moving, and stay positive.

Donna

Excellent work Donna.
    My father used to tell me "Son, look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves". This little adage can be applied to so many situations but is especially appropriate for those who are losing weight.
    If we concentrate on the ultimate goal then it is only too easy to get disheartened and give up. It is the small victories that add up to the winning of the weight loss war!
  • cpnknight
    Well I clocked up my first visit to the gym today....I am chuffin knackered!
    Using the cardio machines between weight exercises I notched up 7 KM (just over 4miles) to take off of my virtual round Britain walk.

Now for a nice cup of tea....
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Check in day! ✅ 2 days late... better late than never.

Starting weight: 228.9 on 6/1/2020
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 180
    6/1– 228.9
    6/4– 227.9
    6/9– 226.7
    6/14-225.3
    6/22-225.0
    6/28-224.2
    7/2—223.3
    7/6—223.2
    7/13–221.6
    7/20–218.4
    7/26–217.7
    8/9—218.1
    8/16–216.4
    8/24–216.7
    8/30–216.2
    9/6—212.5
    9/13-212.0
    9/20-213.2

Up 1.2 pounds this week. I have been a snacking machine lately. I don’t know if it’s the cooler weather or what. Time to track the snacks to get them back under control.

Hope you’re all having a terrific Tuesday!

Jill
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Weigh-in Day...

Height: 5'10"
    Starting weight 9/1/20: 324.1
    Goal weight - under 200 (-125 lbs)
    Weight as of today 9/15/20: 315.4
    Sept 1-8: 320.3 (3.8 lbs)
    Sept 9-15 316.4 (3.9 lbs)
    Sept 16-22 315.4 (1.0 lb)
    Total Weight Loss: 8.7 lbs

Started out like gang busters and then this week the wheels came off. I'm grateful to have registered any loss!
  • jm216
    Weigh-in Day...

Started out like gang busters and then this week the wheels came off. I'm grateful to have registered any loss!

Congratulations on the loss! A pound is a pound! 🤩
  • cpnknight
    Weigh-in Day...

Nothing wrong with losing 1 pound. apparently it is advised that you should try to lose no more than 2 pounds in a week!
  • jm216
    Today marks my 25th wedding anniversary!
    ❤️Michael and Jill💕 forever!
  • cpnknight
    jm216 wrote: »
    Today marks my 25th wedding anniversary!
    ❤️Michael and Jill💕 forever!

Congratulations!
    I shall raise a glass to your next 25!
  • cpnknight
    second visit to the gym today.
    My triceps were complaining a bit so I went easy on them today but I am starting to feel my biceps complaining now.
    My legs are really not happy with me and my shoulders are a little miffed too....
    My chest and abdomen are still very friendly but I haven't introduced them to the planking yet!.....
  • cpnknight
    I feel it only fair to issue a health warning!
    I have put some pictures on my blog for comparison purposes. I will be looking to put up more each month on my "Weights & Measures" days.
    They are NOT a pretty sight, so try not to let persons of a nervous disposition see them!
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    I feel it only fair to issue a health warning!
    I have put some pictures on my blog for comparison purposes. I will be looking to put up more each month on my "Weights & Measures" days.
    They are NOT a pretty sight, so try not to let persons of a nervous disposition see them!

Progress is pretty!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    jm216 if you like the vanilla shakes, wait until you try the caramel! I also have trouble hitting my protein goal. I add collagen to my coffee in the morning for some protein, and use the vanilla shakes instead of milk in recipes (i.e. gluten free pancakes). Adds extra protein for a weekend breakfast.
  • jm216
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    jm216 if you like the vanilla shakes, wait until you try the caramel! I also have trouble hitting my protein goal. I add collagen to my coffee in the morning for some protein, and use the vanilla shakes instead of milk in recipes (i.e. gluten free pancakes). Adds extra protein for a weekend breakfast.

Great idea!! Sounds deliciously yummy and healthy.
  • jm216
    I feel like I’ve been off my groove the past few weeks, but the great thing is that I’ve not fallen completely off the wagon as I have in the past. Today is my Friday refocus day. Get back to healthy basics. Think I’ll hit our little grocery store for some yummy veggies and chicken.

Have a great day my Fit at Fifty and Beyond friends!

❤️Jill
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    i am new to this group but not to MFP. I found out last week I need a total knee replacement in my right knee but have to be at BMI of 40. I don't think that will happen this year. Anyone else having same issues? exercise is difficult with pain. We live in a rural area, no gym, no pool, etc. I did buy a recumbent bike and would appreciate any suggestions!!
  • cpnknight
    i am new to this group but not to MFP. I found out last week I need a total knee replacement in my right knee but have to be at BMI of 40. I don't think that will happen this year. Anyone else having same issues? exercise is difficult with pain. We live in a rural area, no gym, no pool, etc. I did buy a recumbent bike and would appreciate any suggestions!!

I have arthritis in both knees and an artificial hip, this makes things like exercise a bit more challenging than they used to be.
    The bike is good but the number one weight loss weapon we have is quite simply to watch those calories!
    "You cannot outrun a bad diet", about 80% of weight loss is managed by what we eat. This is what an NHS Physio told me.
    That said there are a great many exercises we can do from the sitting position. Have a look on youtube.
    There is also no need for a gym to exercise. If you have no weights then fill two 4 pint plastic bottles with wet sand or water. These can act as makeshift dumbbells. Other exercises use nothing more than your own body weight. Pull ups and push ups being the obvious ones.
    But do remember that exercises are only a small part of any weight loss. The true war against being overweight is not won in the gym or on the track. It is won in the kitchen!
  • jm216

Welcome Azalea!

Tone is right. I’ve had the most success when I’ve been honestly logging my food and simple exercises to supplement my diet.
    Welcome to the group!

Jill
  • kevin95630
    kevin95630 Posts: 2 Member
    I just want to remind everyone of the importance of measurements, especially as a motivator. The scale is a quick and easy way to stay on track, especially once you reach your desired goal. However, it will lie to you along the way!

Especially as you add exercise to your regimen, you may find periods where you don't drop or even gain weight. Measurements are a much more reliable gauge of your progress and overall health.

I had been doing well with my nutrition and caloric boundaries, and yet my weight had increased by a couple of pounds. But then I checked my measurements and found that I had reduced my waistline considerably and even my neck! I quickly went from feeling "what's the point?" to "Hey! This is working!"