Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Okay.....Well, that was a big surprise to this rather unfit body...
    I missed out on exercise yesterday so decided to catch up today..... Yep, two miles on the elliptical and then a short stint weight training!
    The poor old muscles do not know what has hit them at the moment....Tomorrow morning is going to be sore....

@cpnknight I can relate to your sore muscles. The first day I did some squats after not having done any for probably 2 years, I was so sore I was walking like an old lady climbing the stairs to my bedroom lol :D I learned my lesson to start slow and build up.
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Thoughts from across the pond to you Grandrory. Take care of that back girl.

Thank you. Don't have much choice at the moment. I'm hoping after a couple days of not moving it'll be better tomorrow 🤞🏼. I did cook dinner tonight so I moved around a little more today but paying for it at the moment.
  • grandrory
    @eapar507 thank you for the prayers.
  • grandrory
    @cpnknight im impressed with your workout! Wow, 2 miles on the elliptical. I was lucky to do 5 min when I first started lol. Yes you are right, we have to start somewhere. Have you thought about relaxing in a tub of hot water with a cup or 2 of Epsom salts mixed in? That works wonders for sore, stiff muscles.
  • grandrory
    I was able to move around a little more today. As long as I used furniture or even the wall to lean on it wasn't as painful. I managed to get some dinner cooked tonight so at least I ate a little healthier than yesterday. I threw some rice and chicken in a baking pan (along with some soup and spices), covered it with foil, stuck it in the oven. Then I was able to get off my feet while it cooked.
    Is anyone here been effected by the storms on east coast? I saw pics on the news today. Wow, that was one bad storm! I live in N.E. Oklahoma, we didn't get anything from it. Sometimes we may get a lot of rain from storms like that but not this time.
  • grandrory
    I'm really getting tired of this stupid back pain! I go to bed in pain, wake up in pain. I haven't had a good nights sleep in several days. Seems like the only thing that helps is to lay still with a heat pad on my back. I'm starting to feel trapped in my own body. I hate this!!
  • bmmagic
    bmmagic Posts: 3 Member
    Hope everyone is doing well and losing fat!

7/24 - 250.2
    7/26 - 245.8
    7/30 - 239.5
    8/03 - 237.9
    8/04 - 234.6
    8/05 - 234.2
    8/06 - 231

1st goal: 225, then 5 pound increments to 195 and beyond!

I’m averaging about 23,000 steps a day mainly in 100 degree, humid weather with bugs — San Antonio, Texas stuff! We have a middle school near home that has great basketball, tennis, and a track.

Hitting the backboard (tennis) is amazing cardio, rarely use the track, but I’m enjoying “trying” to shoot a basketball —- ESPN’s “The Last Dance” inspired me!

Besides jump roping.... just doing 50 crunches daily. I’m planning to add some push-ups!
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    ="grandrory;c-45229171"]I was able to move around a little more today. As long as I used furniture or even the wall to lean on it wasn't as painful. I managed to get some dinner cooked tonight so at least I ate a little healthier than yesterday. I threw some rice and chicken in a baking pan (along with some soup and spices), covered it with foil, stuck it in the oven. Then I was able to get off my feet while it cooked.
    Is anyone here been effected by the storms on east coast? I saw pics on the news today. Wow, that was one bad storm! I live in N.E. Oklahoma, we didn't get anything from it. Sometimes we may get a lot of rain from storms like that but not this time.[/quote]

Yes!! There were several tornados that touched down here in Delaware. They uprooted trees, tore off roofs, power lines down all over. It was a mess. I posted a photo Tuesday of the power lines down.

This is one from my daughters neighborhood

0njzux29kw7v.png

• grandrory
    eapar507 wrote: »
    ="grandrory;c-45229171"]I was able to move around a little more today. As long as I used furniture or even the wall to lean on it wasn't as painful. I managed to get some dinner cooked tonight so at least I ate a little healthier than yesterday. I threw some rice and chicken in a baking pan (along with some soup and spices), covered it with foil, stuck it in the oven. Then I was able to get off my feet while it cooked.
    Is anyone here been effected by the storms on east coast? I saw pics on the news today. Wow, that was one bad storm! I live in N.E. Oklahoma, we didn't get anything from it. Sometimes we may get a lot of rain from storms like that but not this time.

Yes!! There were several tornados that touched down here in Delaware. They uprooted trees, tore off roofs, power lines down all over. It was a mess. I posted a photo Tuesday of the power lines down.

This is one from my daughters neighborhood

0njzux29kw7v.png

[/quote]
    Oh my, I hope no one was hurt! Tornados are scary storms, you never know if they're going to change directions or just go straight.
  • grandrory
    bmmagic wrote: »
    Hope everyone is doing well and losing fat!

7/24 - 250.2
    7/26 - 245.8
    7/30 - 239.5
    8/03 - 237.9
    8/04 - 234.6
    8/05 - 234.2
    8/06 - 231

1st goal: 225, then 5 pound increments to 195 and beyond!

I’m averaging about 23,000 steps a day mainly in 100 degree, humid weather with bugs — San Antonio, Texas stuff! We have a middle school near home that has great basketball, tennis, and a track.

Hitting the backboard (tennis) is amazing cardio, rarely use the track, but I’m enjoying “trying” to shoot a basketball —- ESPN’s “The Last Dance” inspired me!

Besides jump roping.... just doing 50 crunches daily. I’m planning to add some push-ups!

Hi there. Wow that's quiet a workout! I lived in Houston, Texas for 6 years so I know exactly what you're talking about with the humidity, it's miserable! Sounds like you have a fantastic plan in place.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Well, check in time!!
    SW 215.4
    CW 210.4
    GW 1 - 200
    Well, getting started toward my first goal.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Well, check in time!!
    SW 215.4
    CW 210.4
    GW 1 - 200
    Well, getting started toward my first goal.

Always nice to see those numbers heading in the right direction....well done!

As for myself, another workout from the fat man completed!
    Two miles on the elliptical done (I think the 1 mile stints will be a thing of the past from now on), as well as some dumbbell work. The old muscles recovered from the initial shock better than I thought they would so they got pushed a little harder this time....We shall see how that works out!
  • bmmagic
    bmmagic Posts: 3 Member
    — hope that back is feeling better, Grandrory!
    — no weigh in today. I had a few eggs/cheese around 10pm. Normally I stop at 6pm, but I was unusually hungry.
    — did a 2.5 mile hike before the heat to get started.

Have a great day everyone.
  • grandrory
    Good morning everyone. I woke up pain free this morning yay! It's still really tender, if I step wrong or on my feet too long it lets me know. But it sure felt good to wake up and not be hurting right off the bat! I'm nervous about weigh-in Sunday. I haven't been sticking to my eating plan plus not being able to move = disaster! I'm going to take it easy for rest of the week and hopefully by Monday I'll be able to start my walking program back up!
    Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
  • cpnknight
    grandrory wrote: »
    Good morning everyone. I woke up pain free this morning yay! It's still really tender, if I step wrong or on my feet too long it lets me know. But it sure felt good to wake up and not be hurting right off the bat! I'm nervous about weigh-in Sunday. I haven't been sticking to my eating plan plus not being able to move = disaster! I'm going to take it easy for rest of the week and hopefully by Monday I'll be able to start my walking program back up!
    Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

Look after the injuries first Grandrory, the weight loss can be restarted when you have healed.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    Hi all!

Just caught up reading your posts. I love this group! Sometimes we have tough weeks and sometimes we have great weeks...as long as we stay on the journey.

Cut the grass yesterday and then went for a swim. Today I had to work, but I got two 15 minute dog walks in. Roxie loved it!

Roxie even helped get our hairy version of “Houdini” home to his family. Marshal is a Dalmatian that always “escapes”from his yard and practices his “disappearing act”from his family.

🤣I’ll stop with the bad puns!

Anyway, Roxie distracted Marshall with her “slight of paw” 😂ok, I said I’d stop.
    And his mom had a chance to put a leash on Marshall and return home. 😁
  • cpnknight
    Off to a deliberate bad start...
    Two rashers of bacon, two fried eggs, two fried tomatoes and a lovely slice of very greasy fried bread.....Heavenly!

I know it is not the best thing diet wise but what the heck.... I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will be more careful through the rest of the day.
  • jm216
    Off to a deliberate bad start...
    Two rashers of bacon, two fried eggs, two fried tomatoes and a lovely slice of very greasy fried bread.....Heavenly!

I know it is not the best thing diet wise but what the heck.... I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will be more careful through the rest of the day.

We all need a cheat day or cheat meal every now and then for sanity’s sake. Glad you enjoyed it!

Jill 🥯
  • jm216
    It’s Saturday!

What are your favorite things to do on the weekend/days off?

Jill 😎

• cpnknight
    jm216 wrote: »
    It’s Saturday!

What are your favorite things to do on the weekend/days off?

Jill 😎

Just another day for me. I am usually driving around for someone or other....