Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,711 Member
    eapar507 wrote: »
    I pray everyone here is not in the path of the storm coming up the east coast. Tornados touched down in Delaware not far from my home. Thank God we are all fine. Power is out. Stay safe everyone.

46sgx3cj0aqz.jpeg

Wow. I’m so glad you’re OK Ellen! That is awful. 🤭
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    I pray everyone here is not in the path of the storm coming up the east coast. Tornados touched down in Delaware not far from my home. Thank God we are all fine. Power is out. Stay safe everyone.

46sgx3cj0aqz.jpeg

Glad to hear you are safe.....So glad we do not get anything like this in the UK...
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    It was crazy. There were 3 confirmed tornadoes in Delaware this morning. So much damage to trees and homes. Our power just got restored. It came back a lot quicker than I thought it would have.
  • bmmagic
    bmmagic Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. I’m Brian. I turn 50 on New Year’s Eve and want to be under 200 pounds to celebrate.

5’11.5” height
    Starting weight 252.2 # on 7/24/20

7/26 - 245.8
    7/30 - 239.5
    8/03 - 237.9
    8/04 - 234.6

Intermittent fasting 16/8, Low-carb, and lots of steps!
  • jm216
    bmmagic wrote: »
    Hi. I’m Brian. I turn 50 on New Year’s Eve and want to be under 200 pounds to celebrate.

5’11.5” height
    Starting weight 252.2 # on 7/24/20

7/26 - 245.8
    7/30 - 239.5
    8/03 - 237.9
    8/04 - 234.6

Intermittent fasting 16/8, Low-carb, and lots of steps!

Welcome Brian!

So you’re the new year baby! 👶😁
    We’re glad you’re here... and we’ll help you get fit by 50. It looks like you’re doing well so far!

Jill
  • jm216
    Good morning Fit at Fifty and Beyond Friends.

I hope you’re all doing well. Today and tomorrow are my days off, and today looks like a clean the house day, since it rained last night. Tomorrow will be a yard day.

My son goes back to college soon, so after today the packing starts. One good top to bottom tornado tidy and cleaning, then I’ll be ready to focus on packing with him.

What are you up to today?

Jill 🧽 🍋 💧
  • cpnknight
    It is my lads birthday today so we're out for a meal tonight....I got to try to be a good boy with the cals tonight....
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    It is my lads birthday today so we're out for a meal tonight....I got to try to be a good boy with the cals tonight....

Happy Birthday to your son! 🎂
  • grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    Sorry I haven't been here much. I've got a couple bulging disks in my low back that have flared up which causes extreme pain in my low back and numbness in my thighs. Yesterday I spent the day lying on the couch with a heat pad. Today seems to be a repeat of yesterday. I was so bummed out yesterday I turned to food for comfort, not the best kind of food neither ☹️. I've got to do better today, no more comfort food! It hurts to stand on my feet so ate a lot of snack type foods that I could just grab. I need to boil some eggs and get some cheese so I've got something healthier to grab.
    I've had to stop exercising for the time, at least until I can move without being in pain.
  • grandrory

46sgx3cj0aqz.jpeg

Oh my! Glad you're ok. Stay safe!
  • grandrory
    This looks like a lovely group, I feel I could have written most of these posts myself, I am 56, 5ft10 and 125kg (275lb) and miserable about it. So back on MFP and logging everything, determined to lose now, a little afraid of all the news report around being obese and C19 if thats not a motivator I dont know what is. Trying intermittent fasting and counting calories, and walking 2miles every day (min) hoping to see some results soon! The struggle is most definitely real
    Hi Tracey, welcome. I know exactly what you mean about C19 and obesity, that concerns me as well. I've known people that have had great success with intermittent fasting.
  • grandrory
    jm216 wrote: »
    This is one of my favorite YouTube workouts. It’s a great way to sneak in 8 minutes of dancing. They call it a warm up... to me it’s medium intensity. If there is a move that my body won’t do, I just walk in place.

https://youtu.be/Xewf0Ecyrfs
    That's the way I did when I went to Zumba, walked in place if I couldn't do a move. As long as we keep moving we're doing good and burning calories.
  • grandrory
    jm216 wrote: »
    Confession time: I’m back up to 219 pounds after eating the most delicious nut-filled birthday cookies for my husband’s 52nd birthday.

His coworkers sent these beautifully thick and chunky cookies to our house, since my hubby is still working from home. No one but me likes nuts in our family, so I ate all of the nut cookies.

It was wonderful to eat them, but I felt horribly guilty afterwards. But, instead of going completely off the rails and continuing this caloric binge-fest, I logged each and every cookie. Yes, I went well over my calorie goals, but I counted each cookie. This made me feel better and back in control.

Thanks for listening!

Jill 🍪
    I do the same thing, I log everything I eat...good or bad. We have to be honest with ourself if we're going to be successful.
  • grandrory
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Good morning! Well MFP told me today is my ninth anniversary, so I have been here awhile. I have started over numerous times during those nine years. Today is no exception. Time to make some goals and work to reach them.
    SW: 215.4 (today)
    1st goal: 200
    2nd goal: 180
    3rd goal: 160
    Goal weight: ~145

So I am setting goals and will work towards them. I haven't been exercising for a long time, but love to lift weights. I plan to start with walking first, then some weight training.
    Sounds like we have a lot in common. I've been on MFP a while also. I do good for a while then life happens and sets me back. I started out at my heaviest around 230 pounds. Got down to 180 then gained back up to 205. I'm determined to stick with it this time and get down to my goal of 135. My Dr wants me around 140-145 but I want to go a little lower so I can have room for around the holidays. I started out this time with walking 1 mile a day, after a week I went up to 2 miles. I'd like to eventually get up to 5 miles a day.
  • grandrory
    @grandrory great photos of your proposed garden sight, I know it is hard work preparing the spot and doing the work now for next year is the best plan. Here is a photo of my chickens enjoying helping me clear my spot lol

k2nnzmigzjx3.jpg
    I need to get some chickens. They look like they do a good job helping
  • grandrory
    cpnknight wrote: »
    pandygirl1 wrote: »
    I need to figure out how to take pictures and be able to post them on this thread.

The way I post them is by using a dud FB account to store the pictures then link them from there...
    I have no doubt that there is an easier way but this worked for me so I am happy...

Here is a picture of my little lady.
    Lily
    1k6hgyzxovl1.png

Not the most lady like of positions but she was happy under the bed...
    We got her from a neglectful home. The woman who owned her got herself a boyfriend who hated cats and used to kick her, even kicked her down the stairs on, at least, one occasion!
    She is quite happy these days though.
    Awww Lily is so pretty. I love her green eyes. We've got 2 cats, Oreo and Rambo plus a very energetic puppy name Molly. She gives the cats a run lol. They sleep in the bed with me because Molly is to little to jump up on the bed so that's their safe place 😉.
  • eapar507
    grandrory wrote: »
    @grandrory great photos of your proposed garden sight, I know it is hard work preparing the spot and doing the work now for next year is the best plan. Here is a photo of my chickens enjoying helping me clear my spot lol

k2nnzmigzjx3.jpg
    I need to get some chickens. They look like they do a good job helping

They do a good job with the added benefit of free fertilizer lol 😂

• eapar507
    grandrory wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't been here much. I've got a couple bulging disks in my low back that have flared up which causes extreme pain in my low back and numbness in my thighs. Yesterday I spent the day lying on the couch with a heat pad. Today seems to be a repeat of yesterday. I was so bummed out yesterday I turned to food for comfort, not the best kind of food neither ☹️. I've got to do better today, no more comfort food! It hurts to stand on my feet so ate a lot of snack type foods that I could just grab. I need to boil some eggs and get some cheese so I've got something healthier to grab.
    I've had to stop exercising for the time, at least until I can move without being in pain.

Sorry you back is giving you trouble. I pray you feel better soon. It is no fun to be laid up in pain.
  • cpnknight
    Thoughts from across the pond to you Grandrory. Take care of that back girl.

• cpnknight
    Okay.....Well, that was a big surprise to this rather unfit body...
    I missed out on exercise yesterday so decided to catch up today..... Yep, two miles on the elliptical and then a short stint weight training!
    The poor old muscles do not know what has hit them at the moment....Tomorrow morning is going to be sore....