Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• grandrory
    grandrory Posts: 161 Member
    I've decided I'm going to start paying attention to my carbs and protein. I'm not doing keto or LCHF, that's too strict but if I can keep my carbs below 100g a day and keep my protein high enough maybe that'll help me to fill fuller for longer periods of time. I'm getting all kinds of ideas by reading some of the posts in the forums. I want to be able to eat whatever I get hungry for (reasonably) and look for healthier versions. I bought a bag of Parmesan cheese crisps. I absolutely love them! They will become my new "cracker" when I want to eat crackers.
  • eapar507
    eapar507 Posts: 64 Member
    grandrory wrote: »
    I've decided I'm going to start paying attention to my carbs and protein. I'm not doing keto or LCHF, that's too strict but if I can keep my carbs below 100g a day and keep my protein high enough maybe that'll help me to fill fuller for longer periods of time. I'm getting all kinds of ideas by reading some of the posts in the forums. I want to be able to eat whatever I get hungry for (reasonably) and look for healthier versions. I bought a bag of Parmesan cheese crisps. I absolutely love them! They will become my new "cracker" when I want to eat crackers.

Those are great ideas. I try to keep my total carbs below 100g because it helps keep my blood sugars lower. For some people eating a bit lower carb helps them stick to their eating plans better. I could never eat keto low levels of carbs because I love my healthy carbs too much!
  • grandrory
    @eapar507 i hear you. I went on keto a year ago, I lasted 4 months before I quit lol. Heck eating 1 banana would use up all my carbs for the day! I never realized that fresh vegetables and fruits had carbs. But like I said, I only lasted 4 months before realizing there was no way I could stick to something that strict for rest of my life. For now I'm going to keep my protein a little higher, carbs less than 100g and my fat reasonably low. I'll stick to this for a couple months and see how it goes. I still want to be able to eat whatever I want (reasonably). That's the only way I'd be able to stick this journey out.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2020
    I am truly in a bit of shock!.....
    This week was, as far as I could tell, a complete washout.
    My calorie intakes were not very accurate and I was absolutely certain that I was way over my allotted totals. All I could hope for was to have not gained anything.

So it was with a sense of doom and trepidation that I got the dreaded scales out this morning....
    Last week I was 334.2 lbs
    This week I am 332.4 lbs
    A loss of 1.8 lbs
    I am soooooo chuffed!...(and quite relieved too)

This also goes to show that we should never give up. Even on weeks that we think are completely ruined by our choices.
  • CMac06820
    CMac06820 Posts: 12 Member
    Good Morning everyone.. Greetings from Massachusetts . I just wanted to pop in and say hi....Been reading through the posts and found this one and said yep this will do :) .....

Height 5'4"
    SW 265
    CW 256
    GW 200 ( will re-evaluate when I get there if I want to drop more)

What I posted regarding my goal weight when I started on this journey last year I was working out 3-4 days a week. Walking and Gym workouts then with a trainer. My weight fluxuated I couldn't get it down 5 lbs only 1 or 2 ... Over the years I've done WW, Calorie Count, MFP (take note of the 1st try), Noom, Loose it and now back to MFP. Pre-COVID I had lost a total of 10 lbs felt better confindence was up ... COVID hit gyms closed walking wasn't doing it no food plan to speak of and the 10 came back.....

Here I am today 9 lbs lost. Back using MFP PREMIUM. Had assistance in setting up my Macros, watching what I eat when I eat how I eat. Learning how to become friends with my food scale and shaker bottle for my protiein shakes ...Learned how to like Guacamole and avacado.. And I've replaced fruit and fudgescicles for snack :)

My trainer has been getting me used to doing planks albeit modified one... Old injuries prevent me from kneeling or getting down on my knees ...Heck getting to the floor is a art in itself. But I challenged myself to the Battle ropes, Kettlebell and weighted ball (10lbs) I may be out of breath when I'm done with that BUT I am showing myself what I CAN do.

Enough of me rambling... Have yourselves a marvelous Sunday !!!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,721 Member
    CMac06820 wrote: »
    Good Morning everyone.. Greetings from Massachusetts . I just wanted to pop in and say hi....Been reading through the posts and found this one and said yep this will do :) .....

Height 5'4"
    SW 265
    CW 256
    GW 200 ( will re-evaluate when I get there if I want to drop more)

What I posted regarding my goal weight when I started on this journey last year I was working out 3-4 days a week. Walking and Gym workouts then with a trainer. My weight fluxuated I couldn't get it down 5 lbs only 1 or 2 ... Over the years I've done WW, Calorie Count, MFP (take note of the 1st try), Noom, Loose it and now back to MFP. Pre-COVID I had lost a total of 10 lbs felt better confindence was up ... COVID hit gyms closed walking wasn't doing it no food plan to speak of and the 10 came back.....

Here I am today 9 lbs lost. Back using MFP PREMIUM. Had assistance in setting up my Macros, watching what I eat when I eat how I eat. Learning how to become friends with my food scale and shaker bottle for my protiein shakes ...Learned how to like Guacamole and avacado.. And I've replaced fruit and fudgescicles for snack :)

My trainer has been getting me used to doing planks albeit modified one... Old injuries prevent me from kneeling or getting down on my knees ...Heck getting to the floor is a art in itself. But I challenged myself to the Battle ropes, Kettlebell and weighted ball (10lbs) I may be out of breath when I'm done with that BUT I am showing myself what I CAN do.

Enough of me rambling... Have yourselves a marvelous Sunday !!!

Welcome CMac06830!

We’re glad you’re on the journey with us! Way to go with your 10 pound loss. Every pound lost is a celebration. Just think of what a pound of meat looks like... you’ve lost 10 of those. 👍

Jill
  • jm216
    It’s check in Sunday friends!
    Here are my weekly numbers:
    ltapuc7x0bf5.jpeg
    Here are my numbers from June 1st, 2020 to now:
    jbp1ofgz6lat.jpeg

Feeling good! My son moves back into college today. He’s so happy to start his sophomore year, and I know he’s more than ready to go. He knows that the first thing I’m doing is cleaning his room and bathroom. That’s my way of giving him a clean start... plus I clean when I’m anxious.

Happy Sunday friends!

Jill😀😄🙂🙃😩😆🤣😂😅🙃🙂😁
  • jm216
    Ok...I flipped the pics. 😂
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    First Sunday weigh-in for me...

Height 5'4"
    SW 210
    CW 207.4
    GW1 199

I need to be careful about obsessing over my food journal -- I can spend 10 minutes trying to match the food.
  • grandrory
    Here's my Sunday weigh-in
    PW: 202
    CW: 198.2
    Yea I'm finally out of the 200's!! My first mini goal has been met. My next mini goal is to be under 195.

@cpnknight congratulations my friend! That's awesome, almost 2 pounds🎉🎉

@jm216 wow look at that progress line going down, that's fantastic! Congratulations 🎈🥳🎉
    I may steal your ideal of posting my progress report from MFP.

@CMac06820 hi and welcome. You're doing awesome, wow 10 pounds down! I had to laugh a little when you said "getting to the floor is an art of its self". I know exactly what you mean lol.

@daydrem_dw congratulations on your 3 pound loss, that's fantastic 🎉.
  • grandrory
    My husband still hasn't been able to eat much due to having to have 2 teeth cut out. He's been in so much pain. I've been just snacking around instead of cooking meals. I've got to stop doing that! But I feel guilty eating in front of him☹️.
    I'm hoping to be able to start walking this week. I don't won't to jump in to working out too soon cause of my back. But hopefully walking will be ok.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Hello- gosh I can't believe how many posts since I last posted.

With holidays cancelled, we managed to get booked in a nice hotel for discounted rate (normally fully booked with weddings, conferences & airport stop overs- currently pretty empty). So we had just short of a week away at the other side of UK. Husband was off for 2 weeks so went back to work on Friday. So we've been decorating!!! One sofa broke- so thought we'd decorate whilst awaiting delivery- put other one up for sale. They are IKEA basic ones- we bought in a hurry when girls were babies.
    Chuffed that I stayed the same whilst away.
    Changed gyms because of changes post lockdown.
    I am only £15/month off peak.
    They're getting rid of off peak & new price is £35/month. Bit of a hike. Told I get to stay on lower rate until contract up as I paid during lockdown but that's hardly a reward when I couldn't attend. I was expecting it to be sorted. They've made staff redundant yet taken on new people- final straw was my new trainer left- so I've followed him to gym- still between home & school but nearer home.
  • daydrem_dw
    My husband still hasn't been able to eat much due to having to have 2 teeth cut out. He's been in so much pain. I've been just snacking around instead of cooking meals. I've got to stop doing that! But I feel guilty eating in front of him☹️.
    I'm hoping to be able to start walking this week. I don't won't to jump in to working out too soon cause of my back. But hopefully walking will be ok.

Is there a spot on your walk route that you could picnic? Wondering if preparing picnic-style meals to take with you would allow you to eat without the guilt of enjoying it in front of your poor hubby?
  • jm216
    daydrem_dw wrote: »

Is there a spot on your walk route that you could picnic? Wondering if preparing picnic-style meals to take with you would allow you to eat without the guilt of enjoying it in front of your poor hubby?

Nice idea!
  • jm216
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    Hello- gosh I can't believe how many posts since I last posted.

With holidays cancelled, we managed to get booked in a nice hotel for discounted rate (normally fully booked with weddings, conferences & airport stop overs- currently pretty empty). So we had just short of a week away at the other side of UK. Husband was off for 2 weeks so went back to work on Friday. So we've been decorating!!! One sofa broke- so thought we'd decorate whilst awaiting delivery- put other one up for sale. They are IKEA basic ones- we bought in a hurry when girls were babies.
    Chuffed that I stayed the same whilst away.
    Changed gyms because of changes post lockdown.
    I am only £15/month off peak.
    They're getting rid of off peak & new price is £35/month. Bit of a hike. Told I get to stay on lower rate until contract up as I paid during lockdown but that's hardly a reward when I couldn't attend. I was expecting it to be sorted. They've made staff redundant yet taken on new people- final straw was my new trainer left- so I've followed him to gym- still between home & school but nearer home.

Sounds like a nice getaway! Sorry about your gym increasing their prices, but glad you’re able to follow your trainer.
  • jm216
    Here's my Sunday weigh-in
    PW: 202
    CW: 198.2
    Yea I'm finally out of the 200's!! My first mini goal has been met. My next mini goal is to be under 195.

@cpnknight congratulations my friend! That's awesome, almost 2 pounds🎉🎉

@jm216 wow look at that progress line going down, that's fantastic! Congratulations 🎈🥳🎉
    I may steal your ideal of posting my progress report from MFP.

@CMac06820 hi and welcome. You're doing awesome, wow 10 pounds down! I had to laugh a little when you said "getting to the floor is an art of its self". I know exactly what you mean lol.

@daydrem_dw congratulations on your 3 pound loss, that's fantastic 🎉.

Congrats on getting into Onderland! So proud of your hard work! I’m getting there one pound at a time.

Feel free to steal my progress reports... they’re so easy to post.
  • jm216
    It’s Monday again. The beginning of a new week and the start of new adventures. My son starts his sophomore year in college. We moved him in yesterday and he FaceTimed me at 12:30 last night to show us his finished room. He was so proud of how it turned out.

I’m so proud of how he turned out. My wish for him is to have a healthy and happy school year.

zv2f28ckbd0g.jpeg
  • eapar507
    I apologize for not posting my update yesterday. I was so busy this weekend as my grand babies stayed with me. I definitely increased my NEAT the past two days ...🤣

So pictures will be my update. One from MFP and one from Happy Scale. I am very pleased my weight loss seemed to kick into high gear last week!!

uzsvxgob2tqr.jpeg
    amsogp5gzqnj.png
  • eapar507
    Congratulations to @grandrory, @cpnknight , and @jm216 for your losses. And congratulations to anyone I missed. It was a good week for all of us. Welcome to anyone new to the thread. I will try and catch up some later today. Have a great Monday everyone!!!
  • daydrem_dw
    My goals for Wednesday 7/29

Walk 1 mile: yes
    Drink 64 oz water: no
    Track/log everything I eat: yes
    7,000-10,000 steps: no. 3,718

I have a hard time drinking water. Have never been a big water drinker. Any advice on how to get my water in?

I think I drink more water than I actually do -- journaling is making that very obvious. I'm still not at the full 64 but getting closer each day. I can drink a good, cold glass of water down after exercising but not many of those throughout the day, and room temp water just doesn't appeal to me. However, I've discovered that warm (not hot but warmer than room temp) is working for me, and drinking with a straw seems less like guzzling but the glass goes down quick.