I poop once every 4 days, is that normal ?!

Options
12346»

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    2012? 2016? I wish!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Zombie poop!🧟‍♀️💩
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Deleted because zombie thread.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with taking a laxative if you don't go. I do on a regular basis, and have for about ten years. If I don't, I won't go for five days. Stress usually does that to me. But there are many reasons for it. Take a laxative. You will feel so much better and regular.

Shes already eating less than she should be, laxatives might make her eating even more disordered.
  • VeryKatie
    edited October 2020
    Options
    jessmars wrote: »
    No. No no no no no no. As a medical professional I will tell you this is absolutely not correct. Having a bowel movement once every four days can be perfectly normal. 1000 calories is not much food. Your poop is made up of stuff your body doesn't absorb, primarily fiber (ie cellulose). If you're eating 1000 calories of chicken you might go quite a while without pooping. There's no absolute medical definition of constipation but the following is generally accepted: Less than two bowel movements per week or the feeling of incomplete emptying or the feeling of needing to defecate but not passing stool. I don't think the first application (less than two stools per week) applies to you because you're simply not eating enough to make poop. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. If it does, eat more fruits/ vegetables/ grains and drink lots of water.

Side note, dropping below 1200 calories per day puts your body in starvation mode and slows your metabolism. It also makes it difficult to get all the nutrients your body needs. Additionally, once you start eating more you will gain weight because your metabolism is slowed and your body thinks you've been starving and need to save every excess calorie consumed.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    you don't have to have a BM everyday...especially not after every meal

As a medical professional??? Yet touting starvation mode (myth)?? Credentials PLEASE.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ah, human. You wonderfully magnificent creature. 😅
  • Awesomizer06
    Awesomizer06 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are the only one who knows if this is your normal BM habits or not.
    If not, then you are not eating enough fibers or drinking enough water.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Someone revives this thread every 4 years. Is that normal?

...and yet, for whatever reason we keep clicking it. :lol:

4eouph.jpg

• VeryKatie
    Options
    not sure a poster with a deleted account from 8 years ago is going to provide credentials now ;)

Gets me every time LOL
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    People usually don’t go as often or regularly if they aren’t eating enough food, enough fiber, or drinking enough water. Some medications and foods tend to be constipating too. It sounds as if you aren’t eating enough.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,674 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Oh 💩 it!
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    blynn2708 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with taking a laxative if you don't go. I do on a regular basis, and have for about ten years. If I don't, I won't go for five days. Stress usually does that to me. But there are many reasons for it. Take a laxative. You will feel so much better and regular.

Again, NO NO NO NO NO NO. Some laxatives can cause permanent damage to your mesenteric plexus (nerves that stimulate bowel contraction). As I said before, if pooping once every four days bothers you, drink lots of water and incorporate stool bulking agents into your diet (ie fiber). There are an array of fiber supplements out there in the forms of tablets, chewables and drink powders. You need to add bulk to stimulate your bowel to move, not take a laxative.
    This scares me a bit as I have been taking Senokot S for about 2 yrs now, 3 every night so I can poop! I have told my doctor but he doesn't seem too concerned about it. I tried more fiber and water, prunes, prune juice, flax seed, whole and crushed, ex lax, but it all makes me worse...I went 2 weeks one time without pooping!

Sennakot promotes bowel muscle spasms (needed to move and evacuate the poo) and, used long term, this can make your bowel less inclined to spasm on its own. Eventually, you have to take the sennakot in order for the bowel to work. Google long term use of sennakot - it’s only supposed to be used for 2 weeks. If you’ve been taking it for 3 years then I’d suggest ramping down over a period of time and supplementing with a dfpifferent type of laxative - fibregel introduces extra fibre which helps move things along, Movicol draws water in from outside the bowel to make the stools softer.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    kathy, I know poo is an ongoing topic - but you do realise poster you directly answered has not logged in since 2015?? ;)