How does everyone cope with the stress of exercising?

1235»

Replies

• sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    If any exercise is causing you stress it's NOT a good exercise for you. You need to find a physical activity that you enjoy that you can perform without hating it. I absolutely HATE the gym but I love to walk so that's what I do as exercise. I love to walk my dog so that's what I do as exercise. It becomes less stressful when you enjoy the activity you are doing.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    @betsycech , have you done a RMR calorimetry or V02 max or Lactate threshold tests? If yes, what do they show?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    sal10851 wrote: »
    If any exercise is causing you stress it's NOT a good exercise for you. You need to find a physical activity that you enjoy that you can perform without hating it. I absolutely HATE the gym but I love to walk so that's what I do as exercise. I love to walk my dog so that's what I do as exercise. It becomes less stressful when you enjoy the activity you are doing.
    Exercise is stress. It's physical stress and cortisol is raised regardless if one is mentally stressed or not. So there's no real difference in hormonal response. But one SHOULD do exercise they enjoy for adherence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2020
    A lot of people here are suggesting changing up your exercise routine in some way but it seems like the thing that really needs some attention is your mind and your mental health.

You say you have a lot of cortisol and you are very stressed, especially when exercising. I'm not surprised as it sounds like exercise and weight are a source of many difficult issues for you, including genes and things that affect your whole family. Things that have been going on for a really long time. A lot of bad associations and maybe fears around weight and your health.

I wonder if doing some research about mindfulness techniques, meditating, maybe even a bit of counselling or CBT could be the way to go, to help your mind relax a bit. Take that intense focus away from the exercise and see if you can work on improving your mood and mental health? I'm not saying stop exercising as it sounds like you need to do it, but outside of the time you spend exercising, try to spend some time on relaxation techniques and your mental health.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Walk to the weights area of the gym. When you are at the heiest point of exercion you have no time or streangth to think about anything else, just muscle burn and body exhustion. If you think about some outside the scoope of exercise, it means your exercise was too easy. When you exercise, just give it all you have, devote at least 20 min and then go about your daily routine. If you don 't think about particular move and concentrate completely on the move it may be even doesn't worth to begine.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    betsycech wrote: »
    How does everyone cope with the stress of daily exercise? The time to think and the non-stop brain chatter during my workouts are driving my stress levels sky high. How does everyone calm their minds while working out? This added stress cannot be good for me.

Exercise doesn't cause me stress or anxiety, but NOT exercising does.

When I was going to the gym, I got involved in the movements, the workout, repetitions, weight load, what I was going to do next, etc. I don't listen to music, unless it is playing in the gym, or podcasts. I don't like to be hooked to electronics. I just tuned things out and enjoyed my "me" time. I miss that!

I have more stress now that I do home workouts :'(
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    My workouts don't allow me time to think of anything but what I'm doing. Exercising helps me to manage my stress.
  • phoenixrb35
    phoenixrb35 Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2020
    I tend to either do sports which require my full attention so that I can’t think of other stuff, or I listen to music / podcast if I’m doing something boring. Maybe you need to set aside some time for your brain to whirr separately? Sounds like you’re really busy and maybe need to give yourself a break?

Excellent! And I'd like to add on that one can treat this as a form of meditation by reminding themself through the motions of the bodyweight exercises that life is always in motion. Even when we are still, we are still in motion internally, and to practice bodyweight exercises ritually is to perfect the art of graceful motion of the body, so that every part of your body moves more fully with life.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Wow. Working out is the one time my brain chatter fades and my stress dissipates!