How to deal with joint pain?

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    Following. I also have "golfer's elbow" in both arms from years of aerial silks and pole fitness. It never seems to heal. I will rest it and go for weeks without pain. Then one day I pick up a coffee cup and that twinge comes right back. I take Meloxicam once a week on Friday so I can be pain-free on the weekends, but I don't know how to fix it. :(
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2020
    muszyngr wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    So, what was the diagnosis?

So for my left elbow the diagnosis was something called a Golfers Elbow. Now we all heard of Tennis Elbow well this is the opposite. Golfers Elbow is when the inside of your elbow joint hurts. The ironic thing is that I never played golf in my life (well maybe miniature golf once or twice, ha ha)

so far the only thing that seems to work is rest, which as all of you might know for us doers is very very difficult to do, since we are like sharks, no? always have to be moving

thank you so much for offering to help I really really appreciate it (all of you)

Golfer's elbow is just medical slang as golfer's might experience it though I've noticed lifters who do excessive curls or chin ups might experience it as well.

Since it's more than likely inflammation of the tendon that is noticed, proper load management is better than plain rest. You want to increase the blood flow to heal since tendons are more restrictive than muscles.

In this case I usually lower the external load and see how you respond.

Next would be ROM of the movement that is affected.

Lastly exercise selection with specificity to movement.

I've had great success with this style management for medial epicondylitis.

Practice proper load management and this will go away.

thank you, I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "load management" does that mean watch how much you lift? I ask because I know I have a problem so I lift really light

the day before the pain started I did 5 sets of dumbbell bicep curls of 10 reps each (but I built up to this over time doing some every other day or so, nothing crazy)

10 x 15 lbs in each hand (so light)

that felt easy so I switched to the 20 pounders for the last two sets

10 x 20 lbs in each hand
    10 x 20 lbs in each hand

I did the same for standing above the head tricep extensions

Load management is regulating what stress your body accumulates over your activities.

With lifting it has to do with external or internal loading. So volume increases be it adding reps or sets and/or intensity.

If you are increasing your intensity 33% per set as you mentioned on either of the lifts you stated and are doing them more than once a week, I would start there.

Withh dumbbells in particular, I would increase reps or possibly even add a set first before increasing intensity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    If icing is helping you, may I suggest you get one of the gel packs with velcro strap that most of the big drugstores carry these days? So much more convenient to use, and it doesn't make your food supply unpleasantly mushy. I used to keep a couple of the gel packs in the freezer all the time, and ice my knees after every workout whether they hurt at the time or not. (In my case, torn meniscus, OA, and deferring surgery for the meniscus/debris.)

why did I stop? Material improvement. Why improved? Mostly weight loss, in my case, probably, but I dunno.

FWIW, PT didn't give me strengthening exercises (already pretty strong from a decade plus of rowing). They gave me exercises to loosen muscles around the hips, and taught me lower-stress ways of walking and (especially) climbing stairs. (I don't run.)

Have you done any kind of runners' gait assessment/adjustment clinics or anything like that?

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2020
    this sucks

har2w9d5j6vl.jpg

rguia0u2b1u1.jpg

Icing is not helpful for tendonaphy. It actually slows the blood flow and process of healing. You will find using a elbow sleeve far better temporary relief and makes things more tolerable especially during trainingbecause it keeps the area warmer.

Neither icing nor the sleeve will heal tendinopathy. Once again that is done effectively with proper load management.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Chief is right.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I have pain in both elbows. With the left, i believe it is similar to golfers elbow, pain on the inside, probably triggered by parallel grip pullups and bicep curls this summer. The right elbow hurts on the outside and top portion of my forearm. Not sure what triggered that one. Now they both hurt almost every day. Ibuprofen seems to help. I'm not sure what else to do.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If icing is helping you, may I suggest you get one of the gel packs with velcro strap that most of the big drugstores carry these days? So much more convenient to use, and it doesn't make your food supply unpleasantly mushy. I used to keep a couple of the gel packs in the freezer all the time, and ice my knees after every workout whether they hurt at the time or not. (In my case, torn meniscus, OA, and deferring surgery for the meniscus/debris.)

why did I stop? Material improvement. Why improved? Mostly weight loss, in my case, probably, but I dunno.

FWIW, PT didn't give me strengthening exercises (already pretty strong from a decade plus of rowing). They gave me exercises to loosen muscles around the hips, and taught me lower-stress ways of walking and (especially) climbing stairs. (I don't run.)

Have you done any kind of runners' gait assessment/adjustment clinics or anything like that?

thank you for all the wonderful advice and taking the time to share it, I will look into the runners' gait assessment/adjustment clinics since I love to run, I'm not saying I am good at it but I can do about 5 miles with some music in my ear, ha ha, thanks again
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2020
    Your Golfer's elbow is likely carpal tunnel. I get it all the time. Find some extensor rubber bands and do them around 3 to 4 times a day and I bet your elbow pain goes away. If you don't have an ergonomic mouse, it would be a wise investment. Mine lessoned greatly when I changed to that.

I can't help you with the knee. There came an age I just couldn't run any more. Around 50. I would sit with inflammation for 3 hours after a run. To me, it wasn't worth it. I took up indoor rowing, assault bike and elliptical work. Would love a SkiErg.

@DancingMoosie - could be same thing. Texting will also do that with both forearms. When the forearm tendons get tight (from gripping and never extending), it can affect both elbows. We grip WAY more than we realize and never extend the fingers with tension. I was getting massive pain on the inside of my right elbow. It was all the computer work.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    My left elbow(golfers elbow) started hurting in the spring when doing more parallel grip pullups and bicep curls. Not texting and computer work. I don't do a lot of that type of work. So I slowed down on those exercises but it still hurts a little.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    I can't help you with the knee. There came an age I just couldn't run any more. Around 50. I would sit with inflammation for 3 hours after a run. To me, it wasn't worth it. I took up indoor rowing, assault bike and elliptical work. Would love a SkiErg.

That's just it, I could accept my body going to shietz at 50 but not at 45 and so immediately especially since I always thought I was taking care of myself. Anyway I hope to figure it out or just work through the pain, but running is indeed off the table, I rather walk every day than run once a month then have to treat the pain for the rest of the month. Plus I love to swim so I've been going every day and swimming for 30 minutes. And every day means unless we have plans to go out or the pool is out of reservations (think Covid) so I don't plan rest days, I take them when they come, I learned that works best for me

as always thank you so much for taking the time to share and provide advice

• MikePfirrman
    edited October 2020
    My left elbow(golfers elbow) started hurting in the spring when doing more parallel grip pullups and bicep curls. Not texting and computer work. I don't do a lot of that type of work. So I slowed down on those exercises but it still hurts a little.

That makes sense too. Likely a heavy load or strong gripping (maybe form), more from the curls than the pullups likely. Finger extensor exercises will still help with the pain with bands. Super cheap.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I don't think your doctor was very helpful, find another one, its Ok to be chummy but its not helped you. You need to know if your pain stems from muscle or bone, or if its anything to do with posture, you could have developed flat feet for example which will play Havok with knees or lower back and all. You need some really good advice.

Arthritis can be caused by a lack in growth hormone for repair and often hits years before a thyroid condition, not often mentioned by most medics. Mostly arthritis is put down to wear and tear though as some above said it can be autoimmune in origin and someone else said the anti-inflammatory diet could help. Glucosamine sometimes with chondroitin and even omega 3 can be helpful, the addition of MSM has been key for me, all at higher rather than lower levels but I know what I am dealing with.

You really need to discover the underlying cause, even causes. My expectation is you have been minding your cardiovascular system which is good but can really mess with your skeleton. Good Luck. Keep on taking care.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Your Golfer's elbow is likely carpal tunnel. I get it all the time. Find some extensor rubber bands and do them around 3 to 4 times a day and I bet your elbow pain goes away. If you don't have an ergonomic mouse, it would be a wise investment. Mine lessoned greatly when I changed to that.

@DancingMoosie - could be same thing. Texting will also do that with both forearms. When the forearm tendons get tight (from gripping and never extending), it can affect both elbows. We grip WAY more than we realize and never extend the fingers with tension. I was getting massive pain on the inside of my right elbow. It was all the computer work.

@MikePfirrman Could you elaborate on the extensor rubber bands? Is this what you mean?

https://www.amazon.com/AllCare-Stretcher-Resistance-Exerciser-Strengthener/dp/B076HPB675

I have no doubt my pain comes from grip. It started when I broke my right wrist and was in a cast for 19 weeks (so relying on one hand for everything I did), but worsened when I went back to aerial silks, which is probably about 75% gripping and pulling your self up.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2020

@MikePfirrman Could you elaborate on the extensor rubber bands? Is this what you mean?

https://www.amazon.com/AllCare-Stretcher-Resistance-Exerciser-Strengthener/dp/B076HPB675

I have no doubt my pain comes from grip. It started when I broke my right wrist and was in a cast for 19 weeks (so relying on one hand for everything I did), but worsened when I went back to aerial silks, which is probably about 75% gripping and pulling your self up.

It's exactly what I mean. Anymore, we all grip so much -- computer mouses, phones, weights, you name it. Very little attention paid to extensor muscle exercises. All about balance. If the top of your forearm is very tight and sore, there's a great chance that the pain is radiating from tight tendons in the wrist and forearm. Extensor finger exercises helped a great deal with my elbow, wrist and forearm pain. They are dirt cheap and worth a try. If your pain is from that, a week of doing finger exercises with these will help. If not, there's not much money invested.

I like the FlexEx ones but it's just a personal preference. They will eventually break but the thinner ones are easier for me. I broke a thumb years ago that never really properly healed.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Thank you! I will order some. I have been to general practitioners, sports medicine doctors, and massage therapists and none of them have been able to do anything.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member
    My knees are weak since I fell ice skating (we trying to) damaged both knee caps so cant really run or jog, damaged my hip and back from a fall so exercise is often tricky but I am getting there as I strap up my knees when walking or doing cardio. I do the leg exercises shown in the posts and do lots of low impact exercises and weights. I use FitOn exercises and do lots of walking daily. Good luck
  • annliz23
    dgtvzv4bst38.jpg
  • annliz23
    Rest and ice, I strap mine up with a stretchy band for support as mine is weak. Hope it feels better soon. If your worried see the doctor.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Great vid on managing Golfer's elbow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjaCsUlrZs&t=8s