Hunger - tips to take the edge off between meals and at night

What have you tried that actually works to take the edge off true hunger, stomach growling, irritable, my body needs food hunger ? There are days when I feel very hungry between meals or at the end of the day when I've used up all my calories. I always eat my exercise calories and have my goals set to only 1/2 pound a week. I have also tried upping my protein and fat which sometimes helps but there are some days that I just feel uncomfortable nagging hunger all day.

I've tried drinking coffee, or cup of broth, eating pickles, water, sugar free popsicles.

Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions that you have found helpful ?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Took a while to figure out, but when I was losing weight I never went hungry. I never had long periods of time between meals either.

• msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    @TamLam99 - Wow, I'm going through the same as you! It's been a struggle! There have been a few days this past week where I've felt hungry and have only a small amount of calories for a low calorie dinner by the end of the day. And this is despite setting goal to -.5lb loss, eating back exercise calories, etc. And then the struggle feels more real when I have a rest day, so I don't have the extra calories to count on.

But also, inexplicably, last night I felt no hunger signals despite a long run that day. And spent the end of the night with a treat, which was very nice but can't help but think I should have just skipped it since I wasn't totally in the mood for it.

Other things I've tried that have somewhat worked is to immediately distract myself with a non-food related activity: do some cleaning, work on a small project, read a book, to pass the time. And if I know I don't have the calorie budget for the little snacks and treats, I definitely plan to have a low calorie, high volume dinner (usually a really huge veggie stir-fry).

I do wish I had more days like yesterday where I didn't feel all that hungry by the end of the day. Wonder what the combination of factors were.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    I wish I could say I never went hungry while losing but I feel it when there's a calorie deficit, even a small one. I have tried so many different things with meal timing, snacks, biggest meal in the morning vs at dinner, high protein, low carb. Some days I just can't seem to curb the hunger and unfortunately that is my downfall - my hunger is stronger than my will sometimes. I am also incredibly moody when hungry, so I can relate KimberlyCapone.
  • TamLam99
    msapplek wrote: »
    @TamLam99 - Wow, I'm going through the same as you! It's been a struggle! There have been a few days this past week where I've felt hungry and have only a small amount of calories for a low calorie dinner by the end of the day. And this is despite setting goal to -.5lb loss, eating back exercise calories, etc. And then the struggle feels more real when I have a rest day, so I don't have the extra calories to count on.

But also, inexplicably, last night I felt no hunger signals despite a long run that day. And spent the end of the night with a treat, which was very nice but can't help but think I should have just skipped it since I wasn't totally in the mood for it.

Other things I've tried that have somewhat worked is to immediately distract myself with a non-food related activity: do some cleaning, work on a small project, read a book, to pass the time. And if I know I don't have the calorie budget for the little snacks and treats, I definitely plan to have a low calorie, high volume dinner (usually a really huge veggie stir-fry).

I do wish I had more days like yesterday where I didn't feel all that hungry by the end of the day. Wonder what the combination of factors were.

LOL - your non food related activities made me chuckle, I am always running around cleaning something to take my mind off the hunger - you could eat off my floors! It's not easy figuring out the combo of factors, I can repeat the exact same thing another day and it doesn't have the same outcome.
  • JojoInTheForks
    JojoInTheForks Posts: 134 Member
    I can't handle being hungry. But because I need to lose weight, I eat at a deficit. Some days are easier than others. I need to be careful with my choices...a full sized plate of cauliflower/broccoli with a side of grilled haddock comes in pretty low on the calories, for example. Maybe there are ways you can tweak your meals to eat more food...just less calorie dense?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    So I'm guessing you don't have much weight left to lose, TamLam?

The last 15 pounds took me nine months and I was hungry a lot of that time. I was set at a tiny deficit (200-300 calories) and I had a very hard time sticking with that. I prepared all my meals, so I was sure of eating every single calorie. I took a 45 minute walk on hills nearly every day. It was hard. I started just giving in to it every few days, sort of like a "refeed" day, except I didn't try to watch macros, I just ate. That seemed to help, I'm sure it slowed down my weight loss somewhat, but did I mention I was hungry?

Hang on. Do your best but just accept that it's hard and some days you're gonna eat more than planned.

I'm many years in to Maintenance and I still have a day every week where I just have to eat a whole lot more. My Maintenance calories are not that high or low, either. They aren't really enough to keep me within calories every day. :neutral:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Honestly? I'd eat. I don't know what your eating schedule looks like, but I eat every 2-3 hours. Between breakfast and lunch I have a banana and PB, between lunch and dinner I have either greek yogurt with granola OR a 70 calorie packet of tuna with a few crackers.

You'll probably get a variety of responses here, so try each of them for a week and see which is most beneficial to YOU. I get extremely moody if I'm even the slightest bit hungry, so what I'm doing works for me. Hope this helps!

That was my first thought as well. I do much better on the 6 small meals mindset than 3 bigger meals.
    I know my next snack meal isn't too far away and it's a lot easier to wait 2 hours than 4-5. I have to be careful to include variety, making sure I get lots of veggies and protein, etc.
  • TamLam99
    I have 60-70 pounds to lose. I also have a huge appetite and a picky palate. I struggle with veggies, I only really like a limited few and I try to incorporate them in daily but I will never be the person who would sit down with a giant plate of brocolli(vile weed-Seinfeld fans).

Eating 1 small and 2 larger meals seems to be better than tiny snacks all day.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    TamLam99 wrote: »
    I have 60-70 pounds to lose. I also have a huge appetite and a picky palate. I struggle with veggies, I only really like a limited few and I try to incorporate them in daily but I will never be the person who would sit down with a giant plate of brocolli(vile weed-Seinfeld fans).

If you have a large appetite, I would suggest higher protein intake. 1.6g per kg at least and learn to love fruits and veggies.
  • TamLam99
    psychod787 wrote: »

If you have a large appetite, I would suggest higher protein intake. 1.6g per kg at least and learn to love fruits and veggies.

**edit** are you hungry? Or just wanting? TRUE HUNGER can be satisfied by almost any calorie containing food. Picture not eating for an week and the only food you get is a carrot. I am guessing you would take that damn carrot and it would taste amazing. True hunger is the best sauce imho..

I would most likely eat my shoe after day 1. I would eat the carrot, if you said mushroom or broccoli I would starve to death.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Daytime I go for a walk or run, or do an exercise video. Drink water or diet soda or hot tea. Have an apple or banana. At night, I save calories for a nighttime snack. I can't sleep when I'm really hungry. A piece of cheese, glass of milk, bread or fruit will usually calm down the growlies.
  • TamLam99
    Surprisingly my macros are always on target. I am 51 years old and have been up and down with weight the past 25 years. I know hunger vs boredom, some days I'm fine, other days I'm hungry and irritable and need to find a way to cope without throwing in the towel and undoing a week worth of effort in one sitting.
  • psychod787

**edit** are you hungry? Or just wanting? TRUE HUNGER can be satisfied by almost any calorie containing food. Picture not eating for an week and the only food you get is a carrot. I am guessing you would take that damn carrot and it would taste amazing. True hunger is the best sauce imho..

I would most likely eat my shoe after day 1. I would eat the carrot, if you said mushroom or broccoli I would starve to death.

Than when you are hungry and not meal time, eat a Pound of carrots. About 180 calories.... add in some baked chicken breast plain with fat removed. About 5 oz raw is about 150 calories. Then see if you are still "hungry". Maybe, but doubtful...
  • psychod787
    Daytime I go for a walk or run, or do an exercise video. Drink water or diet soda or hot tea. Have an apple or banana. At night, I save calories for a nighttime snack. I can't sleep when I'm really hungry. A piece of cheese, glass of milk, bread or fruit will usually calm down the growlies.

I disagree with eating bread and cheese or milk to help with satiety. Maybe for you, but those are all higher calorie density foods that can easily over eaten on vs fruit, veg, and lean protein... jmho...
  • LIFOtheparty
    LIFOtheparty Posts: 24 Member
    It sounds like it's not mental/emotional hunger, it's actual hunger, which means you need to eat more. Your body is telling you to eat more. If you're that ravenous, there are no "tricks" that will help. I've always been wary of trying to trick your body anyway. Your body signals to you that it's hungry for a reason. Same as when you're thirsty or need to use the bathroom. It's not something to fear or dread or be hateful of. It's just a signal that you need fuel. The more you ignore it or try to trick your body into thinking it's not hungry when it is, you're just setting yourself for overeating or even binging later on. Perhaps you need to examine your calories and opt for a smaller deficit. The weight might come off slower but I'd personally rather that than feeling miserable.