The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Apparently northern Ontario is getting a snow storm today. Seems early for significant snow. Luckily we're staying "warm" down where I am.

Happy weekend everyone!!! Go do something fun
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    "allow myself to introduce myself!" i'm chuck-diesel and i swim, bike, run!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Happy Friday! Who has fun weekend plans?

Might go try to find mushrooms tomorrow.

Looks like the group of "fast paddlers" is heading out Sunday. Might hop on that again.

That leaves Monday for chores or some other adventure.

Sure seems like it was a LONG week.

As in actually forage for them? I'm always tempted as I love mushrooms and they look tasty but pretty sure I'd accidentally kill myself :D

There are some that are really easy to identify. I focus on those I can identify 100%. Sometimes I'll find something interesting; I'll put it in a separate paper sack in my little bucket/basket to keep it away from the others until I can try to key it out. In May, you can't mistake Morels for anything else. There's one or two mushrooms that look like Chanterelles, but they are really easy to tell apart if you pay attention. Lobster mushroom is also really easy. Then there's boletes; part of there identification is easy. There's a few species I look for. Cat's tongue is easy to identify, but not really worth collecting. Oyster is fairly easy. Sparassis can't be anything else. And then there's all the rest.

If you learn ONE or maybe two you're looking for, then you can just look for them. Check them as you pick. I carry a paint brush I cut off some of the bristles to get the dirt out before they go in the basket. Then check each one again when you get home.

Chicken of the Woods is pretty easy. I don't find them too often. Then there's some that have poisonous look-alike species. I avoid them.

Today would normally be the Mt. Pisgah Mushroom Festival. First time in a decade I won't be volunteering because.... it's not happening. There's a virtual fest going on with lots of talks. I'm kind of interested, but I'm not going to sit in front of a screen all day!

Chanterelles from last year:
    0hq4ovlsf7ga.jpg

Boletus fibrillosus(edible, but not choice)
    gt48d26kga6z.jpg
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member

Looks like the group of "fast paddlers" is heading out Sunday. Might hop on that again.

As in actually forage for them? I'm always tempted as I love mushrooms and they look tasty but pretty sure I'd accidentally kill myself :D

There are some that are really easy to identify. I focus on those I can identify 100%. Sometimes I'll find something interesting; I'll put it in a separate paper sack in my little bucket/basket to keep it away from the others until I can try to key it out. In May, you can't mistake Morels for anything else. There's one or two mushrooms that look like Chanterelles, but they are really easy to tell apart if you pay attention. Lobster mushroom is also really easy. Then there's boletes; part of there identification is easy. There's a few species I look for. Cat's tongue is easy to identify, but not really worth collecting. Oyster is fairly easy. Sparassis can't be anything else. And then there's all the rest.

If you learn ONE or maybe two you're looking for, then you can just look for them. Check them as you pick. I carry a paint brush I cut off some of the bristles to get the dirt out before they go in the basket. Then check each one again when you get home.

Chicken of the Woods is pretty easy. I don't find them too often. Then there's some that have poisonous look-alike species. I avoid them.

Today would normally be the Mt. Pisgah Mushroom Festival. First time in a decade I won't be volunteering because.... it's not happening. There's a virtual fest going on with lots of talks. I'm kind of interested, but I'm not going to sit in front of a screen all day!

0hq4ovlsf7ga.jpg

gt48d26kga6z.jpg

So cool :)
    If I ever get lost in the woods I want it to be with you 😂🤗
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member

0hq4ovlsf7ga.jpg

gt48d26kga6z.jpg

Me too. I'd starve to death or poison myself for sure :D I've never been more adventurous than blackberries and elderflowers, and one nettle soup that went very wrong. I'm very impressed though and the mushrooms look delicious.
  • forestfreek
    Me too. I’d be a dead woman walking if I had to depend on my own sense of wilderness skills 😂🤣
  • genetix71
    genetix71 Posts: 44 Member
    85F moderate air quality, asthma in check, 2 * 1 mile run for health
  • balanc41
    balanc41 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Ok I’m out of coffee now and I’m getting bored at work🤣🤣 time to go home yet?
  • _canadianbakin_
    _canadianbakin_ Posts: 413 Member
    Good afternoon :) I'm at work, hardly working though.
  • forestfreek
    Good afternoon :) I'm at work, hardly working though.

Same 🥰

• forestfreek
    balanc41 wrote: »
    Ok I’m out of coffee now and I’m getting bored at work🤣🤣 time to go home yet?

You’re almost there!!🥳

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    @forestfreek We'd have a plane in the air and boots on the ground to come and find you. There would dogs and human trackers, we would come and find you because you're too valuable to lose. Someone in my fam damily was hunting for 2 weeks in grizzly bear country by themselves without phone service. I called out Search and Rescue, there was a plane and boots on the ground. Everything was thrown up against the wall to find them. When they found them 'they' were hunting in the woods alone and the trackers came up behind said family member... 'They' asked, who ya guys lookin' for, maybe I can help you. S & R said, 'We're lookin' for you.' OMG. Multi-cr@p hit the fan and I've never lived it down and they told me that I was never ever to do that again under any circumstances. 'They' liked to have died from the embarrassment and I wanted to crawl in a hole.

I sensed they were alright but everyone around me told me that's what I needed to do it. I reacted out of fear and peer pressure. I've learned to do my own thinking and to hail with the rest of it. It was the same thing this year but they made it home in one piece. We are bent on survival and live by our own deeply felt principles. 'They' said they would rather die out there doing what they enjoy than for me to send out Search and Rescue.

Some frickity frick frick days you just can't win no matter what you do but we'd still come looking for you.

• forestfreek
    @Diatonic12 - 🥰🥰🥰

• mtaratoot
    Sometimes they hide under the duff just a little.

ftpphp5l5rxj.jpg

Sometimes they really like to hide!
    ttrtt2onq4yt.jpg

But if you pay attention, there they are.

09o2u7yq25le.jpg

9gvfuxglp2v1.jpg
  • balanc41
    Good morning middle agers! Hope your are all having a great day so far! Today is my day to finally relax. Drumming and singing this morning at church and then it’s introducing Harry Potter to the kids and watch the Packers play! What’s on your plate today?
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    I'm In the UK so my day is nearly done but for the evening my plans are mainly cleaning based. :|

Enjoy Harry Potter! 2 of mine have used lock down to work their way through the books and are obsessed. They watched the movies during the Christmas school holidays before and are always asking to rewatch them.
  • balanc41
    I'm In the UK so my day is nearly done but for the evening my plans are mainly cleaning based. :|

Enjoy Harry Potter! 2 of mine have used lock down to work their way through the books and are obsessed. They watched the movies during the Christmas school holidays before and are always asking to rewatch them.

I’m starting them with the movies before my oldest reads them. She is a pain in the butt to watch movies with after she reads them🤣
  • mtaratoot

0hq4ovlsf7ga.jpg

gt48d26kga6z.jpg

I got a bit turned around one time several years ago in an area that's pretty flat, and the sun wasn't out. Someone told me they know folks who have used the starchart app on their phone to figure out where the sun was to know how to get back home.

But for the most part, I try not to get lost.

So if you were in the woods with me, I presume you wouldn't be lost 😂

Yesterday I stomped around the coast range for about 4.5 hours up and down the hills and through the blackberry, salmonberry, and thimbleberry not to mention sword fern, cascara, and other understory. It was foggy and just spitting a little rain when I started, but the sun came out. I went to one of my favorite spots first. As I entered, I went through some spider webs. This told me nobody had been there yet. But they must have been there the day before - I started seeing cut stems. I kept stomping around and found some.

I moved down below the road. It's much steeper there. I found a big lobster mushroom, and as I was walking away from where I collected it, I saw a nest of yellow jackets I must have disturbed. So that meant I needed to find a different way back up to the road. Hunting down there was really hard, so I bailed on it.

I went to another spot that's hard to get lost. It's a big bowl-shaped hillslope. It all funnels back to the road. As long as you don't leave that watershed, you'll get back. I immediately found about 20. I then went all around the area and just found a few. I went down below the road over near that site and found a few. Then I decided to check out one more spot. I was sort of focusing on the hillslope position I had found so many a little earlier. That's where they were all fruiting. I had to stop every few steps, and so even though I walked almost six miles, my step counter only registered a couple thousand. So many stops. Such slow going, climbing over tree trunks, busting through thorny vines.... But it was a nice day to be in the forest. I sure got some exercise, and I got lots of mushrooms.

I was surprised to see winter chanterelles (littlefoot chanterelles). I collected a few; I will send a picture. They are a nearly look-alike species, but not quite. They are actually related to golden chanterelles, but they are actually quite different. They are edible, but there's not much to them after they're cooked. I also found what was probably Pleurotus, but I wasn't sure, and they were very small. I left them. I also found one fly agaric that I brought home just to get some pictures. It was downgraded from extremely poisonous to mildly poisonous several years ago. Some people believe this mushroom is where the legend of a man who pilots a sleigh behind flying reindeer. I might actually get some milk and put some in a bowl to see if they actually work as fly poison; there's still flies around my house.

I set them all out to dry a bit on some butcher paper. I'm going to start processing some today. If I get enough done, I can go meet some friends to go paddle. Otherwise I'll just take a mellow day around the house with all these lovely funguses.

aj3o5bkgqfvn.jpg
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    balanc41 wrote: »

I’m starting them with the movies before my oldest reads them. She is a pain in the butt to watch movies with after she reads them🤣

The books are always better than the movies so this is a good way. We read the princess bride after seeing the movies and kept saying omg they missed this or that