Are carbs the enemy?

12346»

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Oh my good lord. Carbs.... ask some people, they tell you carbs make you gain fat and cause diabetes. Fats.... ask some folks and fat gives you heart attacks and makes you gain fat... protein.... ask some folks and it kills your kidneys and gives you cancer. Well, atleast I have fiber. Oh for Christmas sake! The carnivore folks tell me fiber causes guy inflammation and leads to disease.! What the hell is left to put on my plate? Air? Guess we all need to become airitarians! I did not get over eating fruit and vegetables! I will state some correlational evidence that while sugar intake has declined, obesity has continued to rise. Binging on carbs? Hell, its carb/fat combos in an energy dense package people tend to binge on. Sure, you could binge on 5lbs of apples, though not likely. Your next day will be hell as the the binge of 150grams of fiber spray paints a brown mosaic on the inside of your porcelain bowl... god help the person who does this in a time of an toilet paper shortage. Hope they have spare mismatched socks...🤐

Lmaooooooo! I enjoyed this
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I’m just pointing out one could binge if one planned it throughout their week, such as for a special event.

I don't think advising someone to binge is a good idea...

Literally no one was advising anyone to “binge”. My point was simply that you COULD binge occasionally and STILL lose weight if it is a planned and controlled binge.

There is no such thing as a planned and or controlled binge...
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Oh my good lord....

Lmaooooooo! I enjoyed this

Me too. We need an "LOL" button!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The carnivore folks tell me fiber causes guy inflammation

Is that a euphemism?

Well.. I'm a guy... but the autocorrect on my phone is a real pain in the ashe...

Did that stem from Layne's recent IG post? He was just making fun of that carnivore doctor who ignores the prevailing evidence of the benefits from F&V.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The carnivore folks tell me fiber causes guy inflammation

Is that a euphemism?

Well.. I'm a guy... but the autocorrect on my phone is a real pain in the ashe...

Did that stem from Layne's recent IG post? He was just making fun of that carnivore doctor who ignores the prevailing evidence of the benefits from F&V.

Actually, no. I don't follow Layne on ig. This is just a conversation I had with a practitioner of carnivore. All I can say is I thought low carb zealots were pains....
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    mariomicro wrote: »
    Donuts and chips aren't really "carbs." They are foods that are about half carbs and half fat.
    Foods that are mostly just carbs would include most fruit and a plain potato or plain sweet potato, among other things.

For the purpose of avoiding an insulin spike, it is largely irrelevant whether some foods contain only carbs or both carbs and fat. Dietary carbohydrates will convert immediately into glucose and that will trigger an insulin response, which will eventually trigger fat storage, whether taken with dietary fat or not.

If carbs are consumed with healthy fats, protein, and fiber the overall glycemic load is very stable. Well timed balanced meals are how I was able to regress my type-2 diabetes. If I change my eating habits the disease will progress. Carbs by themselves will trigger a higher insulin response but excess fat cannot be stored without excess calories present. This misinformation has been prevalent for years so it's importantant to dispell this way of thinking.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    no our bodies are too complex to think that simple, cows eat grass, cows are fat
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @psychod787 Your posts have been so good these past few days and I don't ever want to forget them. They're that good. You're really somethin'. Special.
  • J72FIT
    Binging is an eating dis-order...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I’m just pointing out one could binge if one planned it throughout their week, such as for a special event.

Literally no one was advising anyone to “binge”. My point was simply that you COULD binge occasionally and STILL lose weight if it is a planned and controlled binge.

Disagree? Really? Once you cross the line into binging you are out of control...

It's because some people are using binge to mean "a really big meal." Obviously you can plan for a very big meal, but it's something very different than a literal binge.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    muszyngr wrote: »
    no our bodies are too complex to think that simple, cows eat grass, cows are fat

Are they though, in the sense of being obese?

I mean, obviously cows CAN be obese. But although a regular cow body may read as "fat" to us, are they actually in the condition of having excess weight? They HAVE fat, like we do. That doesn't mean they ARE fat.
  • J72FIT

Disagree? Really? Once you cross the line into binging you are out of control...

It's because some people are using binge to mean "a really big meal." Obviously you can plan for a very big meal, but it's something very different than a literal binge.

Absolutely. The words we use matter. A "cheat day" is not necessarily a binge...