Underrated foods?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    fruitcake :)

Agree!

I've never had fruitcake but now I want to try it!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Jelaan wrote: »
    Skate is mild but sweetish, flaky, with lots of large bones. It's really delicious and unfortunately hard to find here in Toronto.

It's great, especially cooked in brown butter.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    fruitcake :)

Agree!

I've never had fruitcake but now I want to try it!

Really good texture!
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    Lentils
    Winter squashes
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Lentils
    Winter squashes

om...these are never underestimated in my house that's for sure😋
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Lentils
    Winter squashes

My mom took half a bite of the lentil soup I made tonight. Said she was tired of the healthy foods and wanted a piece of cake. *laughing*

I ❤ my veggies. :D
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,222 Member
    Lentils
    Winter squashes

No matter what I do, lentils destroy my digestive track. It doesn't matter how much fiber I eat otherwise or how I cook them. If I eat a meal serving of them, I am in pain for a couple days. So as much as I like them, I stay away. It's the same with salad greens, though I can handle like 1 salad a week okay.

I am trying to try more winter squashes this year. Delicata is AMAZING. I have 2 in my pantry I need to make asap. I think pthers intimidate me because of how hard they can be to cut up!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    I jab them with a fork then microwave them for a couple of minutes. It makes them much easier to cut. I agree with you about the Delicata- this is the first year that I have tried them and they are my new favourite.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Lentils
    Winter squashes

No matter what I do, lentils destroy my digestive track. It doesn't matter how much fiber I eat otherwise or how I cook them. If I eat a meal serving of them, I am in pain for a couple days. So as much as I like them, I stay away. It's the same with salad greens, though I can handle like 1 salad a week okay.

I am trying to try more winter squashes this year. Delicata is AMAZING. I have 2 in my pantry I need to make asap. I think pthers intimidate me because of how hard they can be to cut up!

A sturdy cleaver (thick back edge) and a rubberized dead-blow hammer will open any tough Winter squash. (If you don't have a dead-blow hammer, just put a folded dishtowel or something between hammer & cleaver so you're not one hard metal on aother.)

Take knife (serrated works well, and cut just a tiny shallow straight groove where the cleaver should enage, so it doesn't slip; doesn't need to be deep. Put the sharp edge of the cleaver there, then tap along the back of the cleaver with the hammer. From there, once you have one fairly deep cut, just work your way around the squash. Nearly effortless.

I think the delicatas are OK, but for sheer excellent flavor and texture, I like the heirlooms (from my Farmer's market), especially Fall Ball (not sure that's its official name) and extra especially Georgia Candy Roaster. Many people are scared off because the heirlooms are huge. But roasting & freezing works very well great. Ever Fall, I try to freeze enough Georgia Candy Roaster to last until next squash season. (I have about 60 cups in the basement chest freezer now, in 2-cup glass freezer bowls.) So good!

As an extra bonus, these have plenty of huge seeds that are wonderful roasted with a bit of olive oil and generous chili powder and popcorn salt.
  • pancakerunner
    Lentils
    Winter squashes

I have never had lentils *gasp*
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Lentils
    Winter squashes

Me either.
  • PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Lentils
    Winter squashes

Me either.

This is a favorite of mine
    https://kalynskitchen.com/african-inspired-crockpot-soup-with/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I had lentils yesterday. I eat them often.
  • PAPYRUS3
    @nic_27_grassisgreener - Yes! African peanut soup is SO good! My 'go to' for lentils is a usually a curried type with coconut...I like the addition of almond butter in this recipe: yakl2hjcdqu2.pnghttps://www.rainbowplantlife.com/blog/vegan-red-lentil-curry?rq=red lentils
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Cream cheese
  • PAPYRUS3
    salt
  • pancakerunner
    senalay788 wrote: »
    salt

smoked salt

applewood smoked sea salt is a game changer
  • PAPYRUS3
    salt

smoked salt

applewood smoked sea salt is a game changer

Ikea, once again, to the rescue here. They come in 4 packs, for few $$$$ and are great as a topping. Nice smoked flaked salt.

mhepsi1yceca.jpg

You are correct! Yum
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Oatmeal
    Lima beans
  • pancakerunner
    Oatmeal
    Lima beans

frozen lima beans >>>>