The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    @AliNouveau - wow!! That looks amazing 😍
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    @AliNouveau wow, I'm totally drooling right now. Enjoy!!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    @AliNouveau - wow!! That looks amazing 😍

Hey we're you affected by these tornado watches? I saw some areas had wicked hail and winds
  • AliNouveau
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    @AliNouveau wow, I'm totally drooling right now. Enjoy!!

I've just started cooking it. Potatoes are in the oven
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    The other day I mentioned the steakhouse meal kit. Well just just picked it up!4pqw4hhoj48u.jpg

Good stuff!!
  • balanc41
    balanc41 Posts: 1,508 Member
    How’s it going y’all
  • _canadianbakin_
    _canadianbakin_ Posts: 413 Member
    On my way to share your steak dinner
  • TonyB0588

For me the steaks need to be well done!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    I would probably gravitate towards the NY Steak. Filet is tender, but that's about all it has going for it. Not as much flavor as a Ribeye or a NY Strip.

But what I probably would ACTUALLY do is cut 'em in half and share so everybody got some of each.
  • mtaratoot
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

When's the last time you tried a proper medium rare steak? My mom cooks here steaks well; she admits that she actually doesn't like the taste of meat.

I like to get charcoals going in the grill. Not too many. More if it's cold out. In summer, it only takes 12-15 briquettes plus a couple that burn while the chimney is getting all the coals hot. Pour the coals in the grill and let them settle down. Then like five minutes on one side, four on the other, then put on a plate with a little butter, tent with foil, let rest ten minutes..... I should have bought a steak. Nah. It's a rare treat.

Did you see what I just did there? I guess I should have written it's a medium rare treat.
  • mtaratoot
    Good morning all - happy Friday eve! Slept completely through the night last night for the first time since I can remember so maybe I'll be good and switch from coffee to water earlier than I usually do:)

@AliNouveau - that sounds delicious. I don't think anyone around here offers meal kits. Are they like those mail order-all the ingredients and directions included you do the cooking meals?

@cgrout78 - good homemade mac and cheese is definitely one of those comfort foods that I'll splurge on!

@forestfreek - I'm glad I found this group for the same reasons you mentioned. Kinda prefer to keep my fitness and Tinder goals separate 😂 (JK!)

So this kit comes with steaks or ribs, I chose steaks. It's for two people so you get two twice baked potatoes which you just reheat in the oven, asparagus, bread, salad and cheesecake. I added another dessert that is their classic signature dessert and a bottle of wine. We always figure these restaurants are trying to might as well bulk up the bill. They give you step by step directions for everything. They even give a little container of oil and salt and pepper, a container of steak spice and salad dressing. I'll post a pic when I get it tomorrow. I really enjoy cooking but these kits are kind of fun. I got a grocery store one the other day

Steak seems risky as it's easy to f*&k up if you're not a confident cook though and then you've probably spent quite a bit! I'm a vegetarian but I occasionally make them for my husband and I spend the entire time staring at it willing it to not overcook :D

Hahah get a meet thermometer. It'll make it perfect every time. I used my meet thermometer more for testing the doneness of bread though. Hmmmm

Well, I hope we never MEET, because I don't want to be probed.

I bought a nice digital set of thermister probes to use with the smoker. It has four probes, and you can set a target temperature. One of the probes can monitor the internal temperature of the grill/smoker. It has a unit that stays with the grill and a "remote" that gets a radio signal so I can monitor what's cooking from anywhere nearby. Since some things smoke only a couple hours and others smoke more like 14-20 hours, it's a really nice tool. Not very expensive, either.

Steaks are super easy. Too easy. It's pork chops I have trouble with. Smoked loin; no problem. Try to put one on charcoal? Tough as a shoe. Maybe I should try again. Actually, I really want to run the smoker again soon, but first I have a few pounds of chanterelles to process and freeze. Oh. Yeah; sauteed chanterelles go REALLY good on a Ribeye.
  • AliNouveau
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Good morning all - happy Friday eve! Slept completely through the night last night for the first time since I can remember so maybe I'll be good and switch from coffee to water earlier than I usually do:)

@AliNouveau - that sounds delicious. I don't think anyone around here offers meal kits. Are they like those mail order-all the ingredients and directions included you do the cooking meals?

@cgrout78 - good homemade mac and cheese is definitely one of those comfort foods that I'll splurge on!

@forestfreek - I'm glad I found this group for the same reasons you mentioned. Kinda prefer to keep my fitness and Tinder goals separate 😂 (JK!)

So this kit comes with steaks or ribs, I chose steaks. It's for two people so you get two twice baked potatoes which you just reheat in the oven, asparagus, bread, salad and cheesecake. I added another dessert that is their classic signature dessert and a bottle of wine. We always figure these restaurants are trying to might as well bulk up the bill. They give you step by step directions for everything. They even give a little container of oil and salt and pepper, a container of steak spice and salad dressing. I'll post a pic when I get it tomorrow. I really enjoy cooking but these kits are kind of fun. I got a grocery store one the other day

Steak seems risky as it's easy to f*&k up if you're not a confident cook though and then you've probably spent quite a bit! I'm a vegetarian but I occasionally make them for my husband and I spend the entire time staring at it willing it to not overcook :D

Hahah get a meet thermometer. It'll make it perfect every time. I used my meet thermometer more for testing the doneness of bread though. Hmmmm

Well, I hope we never MEET, because I don't want to be probed.

I bought a nice digital set of thermister probes to use with the smoker. It has four probes, and you can set a target temperature. One of the probes can monitor the internal temperature of the grill/smoker. It has a unit that stays with the grill and a "remote" that gets a radio signal so I can monitor what's cooking from anywhere nearby. Since some things smoke only a couple hours and others smoke more like 14-20 hours, it's a really nice tool. Not very expensive, either.

Steaks are super easy. Too easy. It's pork chops I have trouble with. Smoked loin; no problem. Try to put one on charcoal? Tough as a shoe. Maybe I should try again. Actually, I really want to run the smoker again soon, but first I have a few pounds of chanterelles to process and freeze. Oh. Yeah; sauteed chanterelles go REALLY good on a Ribeye.

For perfect pork chops brine them. Lots of the top chefs recommend this. Always ensures moist meat

My BBQ has some app you can hook up but it's for apple phones, I'm android. Even if it were compatible I wouldn't use it. I enjoy the process of things cooking.

My steaks today I did by feel and look. I like mine rare and it was perfect. I find filets are easy to cook
  • TonyB0588

When's the last time you tried a proper medium rare steak? My mom cooks here steaks well; she admits that she actually doesn't like the taste of meat.

I like to get charcoals going in the grill. Not too many. More if it's cold out. In summer, it only takes 12-15 briquettes plus a couple that burn while the chimney is getting all the coals hot. Pour the coals in the grill and let them settle down. Then like five minutes on one side, four on the other, then put on a plate with a little butter, tent with foil, let rest ten minutes..... I should have bought a steak. Nah. It's a rare treat.

Did you see what I just did there? I guess I should have written it's a medium rare treat.

This is hilarious but no thanks, I like my meat thoroughly cooked.
  • AliNouveau

This is hilarious but no thanks, I like my meat thoroughly cooked.

I was making steak for my mom and her caregiver from Ghana once. I asked him how do you like your steak. He looked at me like I was on drugs and replied.....cooked?!?! We took him out for dinner for his birthday and he thought the shrimp cocktail sounded good but he didn't drink alcohol so he was going to pass. Luckily he got it and loved it. He must think our family is nuts though
  • mtaratoot
    @AliNouveau

So ~is~ your family nuts?
    How did the caregiver get his steak cooked? Was it the right "cooked?"

<long story -- TLDR warning>
    I spent about 30 years not eating meat. I eat some now; not a whole lot, but some. Back when I wasn't eating it, there was one time I was visiting my mom's family. She was making filet on the grill. I knew it would make her happy if I ate some even though it usually wasn't on my menu.

When the steaks came off the grill, everybody was served. The steak was cooked perfectly. On the rare side of medium rare. Even though they were filets, my mom marinated them for at least a day. I guess that at least means they had more flavor. Not meat flavor, but flavor. She's told me she doesn't actually like the taste of meat.

Anyway, I was surprised when everyone except me put their steak back on the grill for a while to get more well done. I found it odd that the only person who was enjoying the meatiness of fresh, tasty meat was the person who didn't really eat it.

</TLDR warning>

I hope it was PERFECT, no matter how well done you like it.

So which steak didja chomp on?

• AliNouveau
    @AliNouveau

So ~is~ your family nuts?
    How did the caregiver get his steak cooked? Was it the right "cooked?"

<long story -- TLDR warning>
    I spent about 30 years not eating meat. I eat some now; not a whole lot, but some. Back when I wasn't eating it, there was one time I was visiting my mom's family. She was making filet on the grill. I knew it would make her happy if I ate some even though it usually wasn't on my menu.

When the steaks came off the grill, everybody was served. The steak was cooked perfectly. On the rare side of medium rare. Even though they were filets, my mom marinated them for at least a day. I guess that at least means they had more flavor. Not meat flavor, but flavor. She's told me she doesn't actually like the taste of meat.

Anyway, I was surprised when everyone except me put their steak back on the grill for a while to get more well done. I found it odd that the only person who was enjoying the meatiness of fresh, tasty meat was the person who didn't really eat it.

</TLDR warning>

I hope it was PERFECT, no matter how well done you like it.

So which steak didja chomp on?

I sadly cooked his well done and they were nice steaks from the nice butcher. It broke my heart but since he was one of the ones who looked after my dad as he was dying he got what he asked for.

I always have the filet. I don't like fatty cuts as they usually upset my stomach. It was perfectly rare with an beautifully sear on the outside. I salt steaks before cooking which supposedly makes them beefier tasting and love cooking them in cast iron
  • Cards_Man
    Cards_Man Posts: 905 Member

Filet or new York strip? I almost set off the smoke alarm darn cast iron
    n67is1ijk0py.jpg

Yummm
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    edited October 2020
    OMG it’s only just past breakfast time here but I could devour that plate right now. Yummilicious <3
  • activegalaxy
    activegalaxy Posts: 24 Member
    Always looking for more friends. Been on this journey for three years and I’m mfp for just over a year. Very active user who just reached his 70 pound goal.