My mom...she's very sick.

Thinking of you Jenn ❤ love you xox
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    IslandGal3 wrote: »

Jenni - i'm so sorry. i hope she will recuperate quickly - sending good health vibes for her, you and your family... <3
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »
    If you could become immortal on the condition you would NEVER be able to die or kill yourself, would you choose immortality?

never

Interesting, could you give your deep thoughts about your answer, as to why not

Deep thoughts?

Deep thoughts?

You actually asked a womanz for deep thoughts ??

giphy.gif
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    If you could become immortal on the condition you would NEVER be able to die or kill yourself, would you choose immortality?

Probably not.

As cool as it would be to remain immortal (assuming I get to be immortal at say the age of 21-25) as opposed to being an ancient immortal, I would eventually get bored and then saddened by the fact that everyone I knew and ever will know will die, meaning I will be left alone with the knowledge that I will always outlive them.

Eventually, I'd just end up as some immortal hermit, the stuff of myth. The weird old lady witch who lives on the mountain with her cat familiars, who may or may not have an enchanted walking hut and a penchant for eating small children.

On the one hand, cool. People will leave me alone. On the other hand? I don't really want to be known as the "eater of children" or turned into a Stephen King novel. :D
  • thehumanpickle
    thehumanpickle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else here just discover A Plague Tale: Innocence on Xbox Game Pass and become totally obsessed? #longshot
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »

never

Interesting, could you give your deep thoughts about your answer, as to why not

Deep thoughts?

Deep thoughts?

You actually asked a womanz for deep thoughts ??

giphy.gif

i am womanz - hear me roarr :D
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

nope!
  • Motorsheen
    Options

I'm not already ??

Well..... that's just great.

2020 just keeps the surprises alive.
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much numb to the news to the point that a headline could read "Ghosts are Confirmed Real" and my only reaction is "Yeah sure that may as well happen."
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @Motorsheen

You do you. Keep making us smile and laugh. You're my spirit animal.

98yf3svao95y.png
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    IslandGal3 wrote: »

Sorry to hear this Jenni, sending love , hugs and positive thoughts... ❤
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

Interesting thought experiment..

At my current age (38) I feel like I have no concept of time for how long I’ve lived. It doesn’t feel like it’s been very long; it also feels like ages. I feel like living forever would be similar. In some ways you’re just living day to day like everyone else and the days and years blur together, which may mean you never hit a point where you feel like you’ve lived too long. I’m no more welcoming of death now than I was when I was 18 despite having lived an additional 20 full years. I wonder if the only reason people ever really welcome death is because their situation has forced them to accept its immediate inevitability.

Wait, are we aging normally or is aging halted as well?

Since death is my #1 fear (mine or a loved one’s) then being immortal would eliminate part of that fear. I would probably live life with less fear and more risks, although pain is always an ever-present threat I suppose. But I wouldn’t have the anxiety that comes with every weird new symptom or strange lump.

Being immortal probably wouldn’t make me any more aware that my loved ones will die than I already am, but I would have to come to terms with the fact that I’ll have to be there to witness it. The only bright side to that is knowing that they will never have to die alone in a hospital or nursing home, they’ll have me by their side.

I’d never have to die alone either.

Being immortal might present the opportunity to know more than one or two great lifetime loves. Maybe there could be many. Maybe the joys could outweigh the sorrows of ultimately losing them all.

Interesting to consider
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »

Interesting thought experiment..

At my current age (38) I feel like I have no concept of time for how long I’ve lived. It doesn’t feel like it’s been very long; it also feels like ages. I feel like living forever would be similar. In some ways you’re just living day to day like everyone else and the days and years blur together, which may mean you never hit a point where you feel like you’ve lived too long. I’m no more welcoming of death now than I was when I was 18 despite having lived an additional 20 full years. I wonder if the only reason people ever really welcome death is because their situation has forced them to accept its immediate inevitability.

Wait, are we aging normally or is aging halted as well?

Since death is my #1 fear (mine or a loved one’s) then being immortal would eliminate part of that fear. I would probably live life with less fear and more risks, although pain is always an ever-present threat I suppose. But I wouldn’t have the anxiety that comes with every weird new symptom or strange lump.

Being immortal probably wouldn’t make me any more aware that my loved ones will die than I already am, but I would have to come to terms with the fact that I’ll have to be there to witness it. The only bright side to that is knowing that they will never have to die alone in a hospital or nursing home, they’ll have me by their side.

Being immortal might present the opportunity to know more than one or two great lifetime loves. Maybe there could be many. Maybe the joys could outweigh the sorrows of ultimately losing them all.

Interesting to consider

that brain of yours...... it's always working, isn't it? <3B)
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options

idk first u have to tell me what happens when we die
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

idk first u have to tell me what happens when we die

Brilliant answer. That *would* change some of our answers now, wouldn't it??

Speaking of that, I've never told anyone this, no one at all. Watching my BIL go through his end-of-life experiences has given me many opportunities to relive times when my parents were going through it. I wasn't with my mom when she died but I was across the room from my dad in the hospital when he died. They had set up a recliner so I could stay 24/7. It was around 10:30 at night and I had just drifted off to sleep when something jolted me awake. I happened to look over at my dad and he took his last breath as I watched. Then almost immediately I saw this vapor leave him; I ended up bolting out of the room and crying for the nurse. :(
    Kind of curious if anyone else has experienced something similar? Or was it my imagination?

I don't know what I believe as far as spirits, life ever-after, or any of that but I do think I saw what I saw. Maybe. :blush:
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Interesting to consider

Keep in mind that with the human minds limited capacity for memory, you would eventually completely forget those people you loved ever existed. After long enough, every memory stored in your neural network would be replaced and lost forever. So while your physical body may be immortal, the entity you view as your self would fade away completely.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Interesting to consider

Keep in mind that with the human minds limited capacity for memory, you would eventually completely forget those people you loved ever existed. After long enough, every memory stored in your neural network would be replaced and lost forever. So while your physical body may be immortal, the entity you view as your self would fade away completely.

🤯
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

Interesting to consider

See, that makes it already not worth it. Not because I would eventually lose the capacity to remember people or things I cared about, but because that would be a massive loss of accumulated knowledge. The only real reason I would ever want to be immortal is to continue learning and doing new things. What's the point if I'm going to forget it 500 years down the road anyway? No thanks.